I’m Running Out Of Mirror Puns

Our recent flurry of mirror-related projects means my repertoire of pun-riddled mirror references is growing thin. Our latest victim was the guest bathroom. We figured after swapping out the medicine cabinet in our master bath, that we might as well do the same in the guest bath. Especially since our guests won’t exactly need a medicine cabinet. At least we hope not.

It was still functional, but had definitely seen better days (the interior metal cabinet was starting to rust- we think it was original to the house, which makes it almost 50 years old) and we figured we could do better than the plain silver frame. So two screws later it was off the wall and after another two minutes (ok, maybe I’m exaggerating, let’s say five) we were back in business:

It’s clearly nothing elaborate, but at least it was free (it was an old Target mirror that we’ve had for a couple of years). And we figure once we get some paint on those walls (we’re thinking some sort of muddy gray will hopefully add some sophistication with the yellow tile) the white frame will pop nicely off the wall and go hand in hand with other clean white objects like the trim, sink, toilet, etc.

We also took a moment to remove the large room-encroaching metal shelf & towel bar. You can see it gone in the photo below and scroll back up to see it in action above the john. We figure we’ll add two clean looking hooks to the inside of the bathroom door for guests to hang their towels, and the room might benefit from some crisp art on the wall, just so it feels a bit less utilitarian. Oh and speaking of the inside of the bathroom door, we decided to remove the full length mirror that you see in the pic below. Not just to free up space for those towel hooks that we mentioned…

… but also to remedy the uncomfortable placement. See, if our guests went in there to do their business, they’d get a view similar to this one. Minus the jeans. Awkward.

Removing it was a cinch. Since it wasn’t glued to the door, I just had to remove the single clip on the right side, and then carefully slide that baby out (it had two clips on the top and the bottom, and one on each side). Once it was off the door, I removed the rest of the clips. Here’s the best one handed “in progress” shot that I got.

And here’s the door as it stands now. We’ve still gotta putty over the screw holes left by all of the mirror clips and then hang our towel hooks but we feel pretty good that we’ve saved our guests from having to experience their very own “John on john” moment. If they happen to be named John. Otherwise switch the first John out with their name (like how I overexplained that for you?).

Oh, and you probably remember that we’ve got another one of these mirrors on the master bathroom door (on the outside, fortunately). We were thisclose to taking it off moments after finishing this project, but suddenly started second-guessed ourselves. We’re now thinking that instead of removal, we might leave it be and someday upgrade it with a nice frame of molding around it so it looks built-in. We’ll see…

1. Lindsey says

LOVE the changes. Can’t wait to see the new color and what shower curtain you choose. I love shower curtains :0) I just changed ours to a white one with blue, green and gray leaves from Kohls! It makes the room feel so light and airy :0)

2. Wendy says

I really like the idea of making the mirror in your bathroom look built-in!! Can’t wait to see the completed project :)

We have almost the same towel racks (the ones you didn’t take out) and I’m DYING to replace them… ours aren’t mounted on tile though so it would be much easier. Unfortunately that’s not a high item on our budget priority list (especially since we rent). Definitely a good choice to ditch the door mirror. Yeesh.

John on John??? you guys crack me up!

You realize I am on post watch every hour of every day??? I am so happy I get to see your changes to your new house!!!

5. ellis says

Love the changes and the toilet pic- definitely a good point! Soooo loving the idea of gray with that awesome yellow tile. I have to admit I’m normally preferential to white subway tile in bathrooms (as are you all, no?), but something about that yellow tile is just too awesome.

I loved the towel rail too, but can’t see it fitting with the amazing sounding grey yellow plan you have.
    Was the medicine cabinet recessed or just super skinny?

Hey Annabelvita,

It was a bit recessed, but the mirror is larger than the indent so it covered it right up. We could have re-drywalled it to make it seamless, but we figure since it’s covered it’s not a priority just yet.

Was your medicine cabinet fullt mounted on the outside of the wall, or was it partially recessed into the wall? I’ve got a really old one I want to remove in our guest bath too, but the fact that it is recessed into the wall a bit has me more than a little apprehensive (since then I would have to replace with drywall, mud, paint, and THEN hang a mirror)… any advice you have would be more than appreciated!

Seriously- why did they have a door mirror in that bathroom? I have to think they used it more for when the door was open? Yikes… good call on that one :)

I am doing a lot of these types of changes to my house too- nothing big but they seem huge to me. A mirror down here, a towel bar (builder grade) down there. All these things add up to the house YOU want :)

9. Lili says

I so love you guys, so don’t take this wrong, but I am cracking up at John’s monkey-toes in the potty pic, hehe.