It’s Up! Again.

We actually got our tree back up a few days ago amidst boxes and general chaos (here it is the first time when we set it up in the old house). We figured we’d never be 100% organized and unpacked before the holidays hit, but taking an hour to get into the spirit in our brand new house for our bean’s first Christmas was just what the doctor ordered. We found the perfect spot for our tree in the corner of the living room (right near the sliders that lead out into the sunroom and the doorway that connects to the kitchen).

We also hung my beloved Pottery Barn wreath (a gift from John’s mom a few years back) on the back of the fireplace in the living room that will someday be double-sided. I just stare at that empty green bookcase and picture a blazing fire…

And the other side of the fireplace (which is located in the eat-in part of the kitchen) looks like this:

I know, I know – that paneling, dark brick, and red tile is ka-raaaazy. But there’s still something sweet about seeing our stockings (John and I share one so Clara and Burger each get their own), my little faux presents, a few feather trees, some ceramic fruit/birds, and our cardboard snowflake wreath up there to keep things festive until we can break out the primer and paint to lighten things up.

Oh and as I was unpacking I spotted those cute silver zebra-ish plates (from Crate & Barrel a few years back) and decided to stick them up on the mantel as well. Why not- it’s a kitchen, right?

They add a nice little shot of holiday sparkle. So I try to rest my eyes on those little gems (instead of all that paneling- oy!). Can’t wait to brighten things up in there. Oh and speaking of painting, we actually tackled Clara’s room this weekend. It felt good to be back in our painting clothes! We went in a totally different direction than we did in her last nursery, so we’ll have to snap some pictures and share them soon…

Comments

Love that you got your tree up and decorated that mantle. I still haven’t been able to figure out why there’s a fireplace in that kitchen, but I guess it’s not for me to know. :-)

Can’t wait to see the nursery! Will you tackle that paneling next or is there something else taking priority on the agenda?

Hey Beth,

If you check out this post with a floor plan hopefully it’ll be clear where the fireplace is in the kitchen (it’s represented by that box that’s on both sides of the wall in the “after” plan). As for painting that paneling, it’s definitely on our list, but since it involves primer and is a bit of a bigger job than some other things we might need to build up some momentum before jumping in and getting ‘er done!

You guys are amazing! I cannot believe that you already have decor for Christmas up. Then again, I see how you want Clara to have a great first Christmas. Thank you so much for your blog. I stop by daily for refreshing – creatively and personally! Merry Christmas in your new house!!!

3. Sarah says

So happy for you all! I am glad to hear you were able to get you’re Christas tree up :O) I cannot wait to see pics of the new nursery!!

4. Ashley says

Looks nice, considering the paneling. I can’t wait to see what you do with it all. I’m also anxious to see Miss Clara’s room.

5. amanda says

Love where you put your tree! Your mantle looks great….I can see past the paneling…it’s adorable for Clara’s first Christmas!

6. diana says

Wow! You, guys, you do move faqst!

And the new header photo? Brilliant!

Congratulations, and Merry Christmas!, it may well be the most joyous one: new baby and new home!

7. Rachel says

Looks great! I’m excited to see Clara’s new room too.

And painting the paneling will not be as bad as you think. :) Inspired by your tutorial, I painted a big room full of it while my hubby was out of town. It took me a day and a half priming and painting it alone, but the end result was soooo worth it! Though now we’re in a new house and it’s been hard for me to get off my patootie and paint our rather hideously colored living room.

8. Nikki says

J & S, you guys rock. i seriously cannot WAIT to see this place’s beauty unfold. I also can’t wait to see what you do with Clara’s nursery. At 25 weeks pregnant I really need to get serious about transforming our little room–but it’s got to be gender neutral! Certainly, though, I’m sure I will steal some of your ideas. Enjoy your first Christmas with Clara in the new house!

Aww, I’m so glad you decided to put the tree up in your new house, too! Looks great, guys!

And I love that those shelves on the side of the chimney are already gone. Did you break out the sledgehammer on day one again, Sherry? ;)

10. fdr says

well done! you’ve got more decorations up than we do, and we have no excuse really.

unrelated question: where does your heating come from? i remember you said it was oild based and i was looking for some inspiration on how to deal with the radiators dotted around our flat, and notice now that you have none in your new house. do those little vents dotted around in the floors and walls do the job?

Oh yes! They’re great! We never know how to deal with baseboard heating since we love floor-length curtains so we really like the small wall and floor vents around our house. They were in our old house too.