Done. Over it. Finito.

After over two weeks of doing it, sleeping on the floor is officially getting old.

So we bought a bed frame. Oh happy day! We had big plans for possibly building one (using one of Ana White’s amazing tutorials). And we debated just getting a cheapo-metal frame and laying slats of wood across it so we could rest our mattress on that (so we could DIY another upholstered headboard down the road). But in the end the four poster bed that caught our eye back when we whipped up this future bedroom mood board won out (click here for more mood board details).

One of the issues is that our organic mattress (which you can read about here and here) is super thick and made of extra dense all natural latex rubber. So as I’ve weirdly described it before, it’s heavier than thirty dead people. To this comment John always responds: “How would you know that? Even serial killers don’t attempt to carry thirty bodies at once.” So although I will specify that I haven’t actually carried thirty dead people, the mattress is as heavy as I would imagine that scenario to be. Seriously, it weighs a ton. Which is why we worried that a normal metal frame meant to hold a boxspring and a regular (much lighter) mattress wouldn’t exactly adapt very well to wood slats and a box-springless super heavy mattress. And the idea of buying a $600+ organic boxspring to make a cheap-o metal frame work quickly became a not-so-cheap-o solution, so we tossed out that possibility as well.

It definitely would have been fun (and kinda romantic) to build a bed frame together like our Bower buddies, but our aching backs won out and we decided we were done with sleeping on the floor. Over it. Seriously spent. Imagine Ben Stiller emphatically saying “I’m finished with the checking of the bags conversation” to that flight attendant in Meet The Parents. That’s how emphatically those last few sentences should be read. Warning: Ben tosses out a the word beeyotch (without all the eee’s) at the end of this clip in case you’re at work/with a tot.

And with the chaos of the holidays, bed-building just wasn’t going to happen for another week or so. Which is how we got to the purchase of our new queen sized white Ikea four poster bed. And since his official Ikea name is Edland, we like to affectionately refer to him as Ed.

But right now he’s looking like this in our house:

Here’s hoping he’s not too hard to assemble and can handle the weight of thirty dead bodies. We’ll be back with pics when he’s all set up after some not-floor sleeping (we’re gonna give him a test run and tell you all about the comfort-factor tomorrow).

Comments

1. Michele Daggar says

Hey Youngsters! Merry Christmas! I’m going to assume you had a white one.

I can’t wait to hear how this bed works out for you guys. I’ve been wanting this one for a while. The bedroom in your new house looks twice as big as your old room.

Better get it set up fast so Burger can snuggle in. Happy New Year!

Woohoo, bed! Here’s hoping your new bed can hold 30 dead bodies– er, I mean your super heavy mattress!

Also, I love that clip, we quote the “I am finished with the checking of the bags conversation” line a lot in our house (especially after our last vacation when the airline almost lost my d60 AND my laptop).

3. Steph says

What a gorgeous bed, can’t wait to see how you style the room!

Unrelated note: it’s a bit sad how frequently I checked this site over the last few days. I know it was the weekend but for once free time was abundant and I was looking for a YHL fix! Thanks for posting!

4. Amanda says

Love that bed! And I may be a little biased, but I love the curtains on your mood board too. We have those very ones in our dark green living room and they’re amazing!!

Yay! I believe that’s also the bed AB Chao got for her daughter when she secretly made over her room one summer.

We had our mattress on the floor last year around this time. We were adding on to our house. I have to say that I slept really well at the lower altitude. Plus, our house was so cold from having a big hole on the back . . . our bed was so warm and cozy with all the blankets. But I am glad it’s all over with.

6. Sarah says

Did you go out to Ikea yesterday? I feel like that could have been the most miserable shopping experience!

We actually had some visiting relatives who passed Ikea on their way and brought it to us! Love them so much for braving the Ikea crowds to grab it for us!

7. Addie says

That was one of my favorite moodboards you ever did! I’ve been eying that bed on Ikea ever since you posted it. We also have a super heavy queen sized mattress. 30 dead bodies is a good approximation of the weight, but I think it’s even harder to move than dead bodies, because it’s heavy AND floppy!

We have a beautiful bed frame that my grandparents received as a wedding present in 1940, but something more modern would look better in our bedroom. I’ve been thinking about moving that bed frame into our guest room, and buying the Edland for us. Can’t wait to see how the Edland works out with your mattress!

Hope the four of you had a wonderful Christmas together!
    –Addie

8. emma says

i have had this bed frame in the pale yellow for the past few years – back when it was part of the hemnes set. i love mine!

9. Katie says

I’ve had my eye on that bed for over a year and I’m so glad you bought it! Can’t wait to see what you guys do with “Ed” in your new bedroom!