Day One

We’re running about a day behind since we didn’t have internet at home until late yesterday, but here’s how things looked on Tuesday (our first full day in the house) with all of our boxes littering every room. Goodbye clean blank slate. Hello chaos. Oh and it bears mentioning that nothing is necessarily staying where we put it (we just dropped furniture and boxes around the house, and will definitely be living with things a bit before committing to final placement for anything).

But let’s rewind a bit for a moment. The last time we moved, we were going from NYC to Richmond in a minivan (well, I guess technically we moved one more time three months later from our apartment to our first house, but we borrowed a small trailer from a friend and were able to transfer everything that way). The point? We had no idea what it was like to move with more than five boxes a piece. And I’m not gonna be all rainbows and unicorns about it. It totally bites. But we’re slowly but surely making a dent in things and starting to gain some order. As in, we now know where our socks and underwear are again. And we’ve showered!

We estimate that by tomorrow we should hopefully be mostly unpacked (since we’ve been taking post-writing, picture-taking, Clara-tending, address-changing, and comment-answering breaks between box unloading spurts). Then we’ll be diving into projects like painting, hanging, removing, replacing, floor planning, window treating, etc. We don’t know what we’ll tackle first (it’ll honestly just depend on our mood and what supplies we have on hand). When it comes to big projects we like to save our pennies and plan things to death, but for small things (which we always recommend doing first so you can live with the house a moment before making any dramatic changes that you might regret) we always just dive in and learn as we go. It’s the only way we’ve been able to accomplish things instead of being paralyzed by indecision. So we’ll hang frames somewhere and if we don’t like them we’ll move them. Same deal for picking paint colors and arranging furniture. And we’ll post pics and details as they occur, not to worry! Anyway, on with the messy just-moved-in pics…

Future dining room:

Future office:

Future living room (furniture won’t necessarily stay in this configuration, it’s just where we dropped it for the moment):

Hall bath (amidst a diaper sprayer installation – more on that here):

Clara’s room (of course rebuilding the crib and getting the basics in there got priority because we wanted her to adjust as well as possible- which seemed to work so far):

Future playroom/kids room (we had to disassemble the daybed to get it down the hall):

The master bedroom (since our old bed frame conveyed with the old house, we’re sleeping on the floor until we build/buy a new one- who knows where we’ll end up on that):

The master sink/bath (we need to raise that tension rod to accommodate our extra long curtain… soon):

No idea what Burger was doing in that picture. Maybe he’s developing an interest in home related details like hardwood floors and molding. Anyway, here’s the sunroom:

And the laundry/mudroom:

Oh yeah and we have another separate entry basement (this time it’s under our bedroom instead of our sunroom) which will be awesome for storing tools, bikes, the lawnmower, seasonal decor, baby stuff, maternity clothes, etc.

So that’s our house. Can’t wait to get things unpacked and share pics as each room starts to take shape and projects start to unfold. Off to unpack more boxes…

Psst- Here’s a floor plan to help you make sense of what room’s what (although we switched Clara’s bedroom and the playroom since the smallest room makes a great nursery).

Psssst #2- We announced the winners of this week’s giveaway. Click here to see if it’s you.

1. Meredith says

For a while there moving became an annual event for me; it was a good pare-down opportunity but SUCH a pain in the tookus. :) You guys seem to be way ahead of the game! And while we’re all chomping at the bit for new makeover stuff, watching the moving-in process is super exciting too! Thanks for checking in amidst the chaos!

2. Carol N. says

Amazing how many pictures Burger managed to get in! He will love having a big ole back yard to do bug hunting in once it gets warmer. The house looks light and airy and I’m looking forward to seeing what you guys tackle first. Will you be putting up any Christmas decorations this year in the new place?

Congrats again! I’m excited to see how you do things. Whenever I’ve moved I get so overwhelmed by the chaos of boxes and where things should go and I like how you just dropped things and said “This can always move”. I always forget that because I’m so fixated on it being where it should be the first time. We’ll be buying our 1st house in January so I hope (fingers crossed) that I can just move in and not be so overwhelmed. \

Burger looks like he was sniffing out the wood for possible dog intruders! HA!

4. Mariela says

I love how Burger is in all of the pictures hehe. I’m excited for you guys and can’t wait to see how your new house starts unfolding.

Does the window in the office (above the desk) look out to the carport? If so, do you have a plan to deal with it once you close the garage in?

Hey Devon,

Yup, sadly it does. No idea what we’ll do about that. Maybe frost it or remove it and drywall or even build some bookcase or system that hides it from the inside. Not sure yet…

I love how much light the rooms seem to get. I also love your future office! It looks like the perfect spot to work, plus plenty of room for Clara to play while you are working. I know making a work spot for me where my 1 year old could play and be with me has worked out so well. He colors in “his office” while I check papers in “my office.”

Wow, it’s amazing how much bigger the space looks with your furniture in it! And brighter! I am so excited to see the transformation over the next months/years(?)… my husband and I are house hunting right now and this amps up my excitement even more! (Especially because we are looking at fixer uppers too!)

8. Sharee A. says

Chimming in, along with the rest today, I’m super excited for you all and looking forward to seeing you put your own stamp on your new home. I became a follower of YHL less than a year ago so, I’ll get to see your projects from the very beginning.

I see there was a rug in the one room so you can see how it darkened, that will actually match in a year or 2! Ours has started to lighten up in the dining room.

Wow… looks so different from the other place. Can’t wait to see how you transform things. I wish I had your ‘eye’ because I would struggle with a lot of what you have going on but I know it will turn out amazing.

Wow – with furniture in it, you really get a feel for the size of the rooms, they’re much bigger than they looked in the previous pictures! It’s a gorgeous house (well, at least it WILL be!), and I cannot wait to see what you do with it – sooo much potential! Awesome find!!!

12. Leslie Ann says

Those are some strange trapezoidal windows in the sunroom!! do you plan on putting any sort of window treatment on them or just leaving them bare?