The Floor Plan, Stan

We’re still holding off on taking you on a full virtual tour of our soon-to-be new home (you know, until the deal is 100% done and we actually live there). But we thought we’d give you a sense of what we’re gonna be working with thanks to this rough floor plan that we threw together with the use of floorplanner.com (it’s a free service, btw). Everything is approximate since we’re borrowing from the measurements that we took during the inspection and copied from the sales flier, but here’s what we’ve got (the washer & dryer are stacked in the small mudroom off of the carport):

*There aren’t measurements for the smaller spaces like the bathrooms or hallways, but the total square footage for this house is around 2,500 square feet

The funny thing is that if you look at our current house’s floor plan it might seem a bit familiar. We always said if we built onto our house we’d love to add a nice master bedroom with a true master bath (since our current casa only has one full bath in the entire house and no master suite at all) and we wouldn’t mind somehow creating a larger family/living room (we’ve always longed for a casual and comfy sectional but our current house just wouldn’t accommodate one thanks to the long narrow family and living room layouts). Sherry has also always had serious island envy and lo and behold, the new house could actually support one of those as well. In other words, just talking about it gets us all geeked out and excited since it’s kind of like a combination of our current house and a few more things we’ve always wanted.

We’re just so thankful that after some pretty rigorous searching we finally found this baby. In fact it has nearly everything going for it when it comes to our parameters (great school, great location near family, a lush and lovely yard for Burger & The Bean, within our budget, etc) except that it’s admittedly a tad bigger than we had targeted.

We like living modestly, making spaces multitask, and most of all not having to clean a huge house. But at around 2,500 square feet it’s nothing too crazy, and we’re sure we can grow into it and take the entertaining brunt off of John’s poor sister (who currently has a 3,000 square foot house so the whole crew always ends up over there- and as fun as that is, we’d love to be a place where the family gathers as well). We figure a bit of extra space couldn’t hurt in that regard, since the average get-together for us is around 10-16 people (and we can currently seat just 6 people at our dining table that sits in the corner of our living room). Plus there are more DIY projects to take on. Ha.

But anyway, here’s how we envision adapting the floor plan to make the house work best for our family (we’ve highlighted the descriptions that have changed in green, but we’ll break things down a bit more below the floor plan for ya):

You’ll notice that we’re thinking about:

• converting the carport into a garage (thanks to a sweet credit the sellers gave us)
  • turning the modestly sized dining room into an office, and even adding pretty french doors to separate that area
  • converting the formal front living room into an entryway with a casual dining room slash library
  • adding a large doorway leading into the kitchen from the new dining room/library
  • making one bedroom into a playroom/future nursery for kiddo number two in a few years (we’re waiting a while), making the second one into Clara’s bedroom, and turning the third one into a guest room for family & friends since they stay with us pretty frequently (upgrade: they’ll now have their own small bathroom to use, instead of having to share one shower with all of us).
  • adding an island in the kitchen and widening the doorway that leads to the former family room…
  • …which will become our one and only living room- we’ve learned that three rooms with sofas in this current house (the living room, den, and sunroom) aren’t necessary for the way we live, and the formal living room just doesn’t get used. So creating a nice large casual living space with a sectional and lots of room will hopefully make our house into a place where everyone gathers, which is a huge goal of ours. And the more spacious kitchen that’s centrally located (which is soon to be open on all four sides) will definitely help create that airy, welcoming, accommodating feeling for large groups like our huge crazy family.
  • creating an amazing double sided fireplace since the back of the fireplace in the kitchen can hopefully be blown out so there’s also access to it from the living room.

Update: One change we decided to make after posting this but before moving in was to use Bedroom #1 (the smallest closest bedroom) as Clara’s room and turn Bedroom #2 (the larger middle one) into a playroom/second kids bedroom. Bedroom #2 will probably end up being Clara’s big girl room and our second child will move into the nursery (Bedroom #1) in a few years when he or she exists.

Of course we won’t do any major work (knocking down walls, building an island, fully gutting and renovating the bathrooms, blowing out that fireplace, etc) before we live there a little while and we’re sure it all makes sense for the way we actually end up using the house. We’ve never subscribed to the knock-down-walls-and-refinish-everything-before-moving-in way of life since we never would have come up with the close-off-a-door-to-gain-a-bedroom-and-a-whole-wall-of-cabinetry-in-the-kitchen plan that dawned on us only after living in our house for about six months. But we will jump right in with things like painting the walls, kitchen cabinets, trim, and doors along with switching out light fixtures, other hardware, and beginning to slowly but steadily furnish the place in a casual, affordable, and kid-friendly way. It’s honestly all I think about these days. I have about 500 tear sheets, notes, and other inspiration piles surrounding me at all times. Is it mid-December yet?

Comments

Wow… by Israeli standards, that’s huge!! I’m so excited to see what you guys do with more space and to see how you end up using this house.

2. heyruthie says

I am so excited! it looks great! *AND* your new kitchen has the same exact floorplan/dimensions as mine–which I am DYING to upgrade and integrate into the surrounding rooms. i can’t WAIT to see what y’all do…….and then “copy” you! (Sincerest form of flattery, I promise!)

You guys are so lucky that you found “The One”! I’ve always thought… you know, I just want to have a move-in ready home, but since I’ve been watching so many great transformations of older homes, I honestly don’t want that anymore. When my family and I finally get to purchase a home, I want it to be something that we put sweat and tears into. It only makes it that much more special! Good luck with the purchase and I’m super excited to see you guys get to work with the updates!

Regarding Molly’s comment and your response, they do say the 2nd one is the bad one ;) My parents say I was like Clara, meaning I was pretty much just a happy go lucky baby that slept through the night from pretty much the 2nd week I was home on. My mom said she had to check on me a lot to make sure I was still breathing! LOL. Then, 7 years later, my brother comes along and he was hell on wheels! Cranky, colic-y, and didn’t sleep through the night for MONTHS.

Also, I just wanted to say how much I LOVE your new house footprint! It has everything we are looking for in a house now that we’ve been in ours a few years, but luckily we have the ability to expand our current house to make it work. Just need to figure out the logistical and monetary parts!

Can’t wait to see more details!

Nikki

5. Liz says

This is such a great floorplan already and the changes you’re planning make it even better. Love the idea of french doors to the office. And the changes you’re making in that room allow it to still function as a dining room if future buyers insist on two inside living spaces.

6. Nicole says

In your post, you mentioned reducing the number of rooms with couches from 3 to 1 in your new house. My husband and I also just bought a new house (rather unexpectedly, we had literally just finished remodeling our first when work took us to a different state). Almost all of our furniture, like yours, is new and we’re trying to decide if we want to keep it, or get something that’s more livable in our new place – a sectional would be great, actually.

Anyway, long story short, what will you do with all your other couches and furniture? Sell it?

Hey Nicole,

Yup- we’re definitely not strangers to Craigslist so we’ll sell anything we don’t have a use for. We do have a sunroom to decorate, so a sofa might end up out there (or a daybed). Time will tell…

7. Fuzz says

I love the floor plan.

Just a concerned parent thought: I always have hated my kids having their bedrooms right up the front of the house in the event of a break-in. I don’t know if you’ve thought of moving Clara’s room and swapping it with the guest room so she is slightly more… interior.

Congrats J & S. We have 2800 sqft with 2.5 baths… 4 beds… pretty similar to your house (soon-to-be) actually, but on two floors instead of one. We have had soooo much fun with it… and yes, it is a lot to furnish!! We have lived here for a year and we’re still taking on new projects all the time. Last weekend my hubs closed in a weird cutout looking over the stairs and made it into a bookcase. I can’t wait to see what ya’ll do with all your new space and potential for projects!!

LOVE the fireplace idea. That is going to be beautiful :)

9. Morgan says

I have floor plan envy!! I love the idea of french doors separating the two rooms. Do you plan on installing them yourself or having them hung?

Hey Morgan,

We haven’t tackled french doors yet so we don’t know if it’s something we can install but we’ll certainly give it the ol’ college try before calling for reinforcements!

10. Laura says

Before I even got down to the second image I said, wow, I’d move that dining room. I would think that you could easily creat a little “foyer” or entryway immediately adjacent to the dining room, if only to visually separate the two spaces. Love the plan & can’t wait to see the photos! Before AND after :)

11. Elizabeth says

Really, really great floorplan. I’ve been excited to see it, obviously! Love the dining room idea and can’t wait to see how you use that space especially. Can you give a tidbit about how you’ll decorate that room? Is a bigger table in the works? Or flexibility to use multiple tables (kid table/grownup table) at family gatherings? Will Clara and future siblings have homework stations in that room? So exciting!

12. tom says

That living room/dining room/kitchen is ripe for a wall-tear-down-party making an awesome greatroom. Any distant future plans for a remodel of that magnitude?