The Floor Plan, Stan

We’re still holding off on taking you on a full virtual tour of our soon-to-be new home (you know, until the deal is 100% done and we actually live there). But we thought we’d give you a sense of what we’re gonna be working with thanks to this rough floor plan that we threw together with the use of floorplanner.com (it’s a free service, btw). Everything is approximate since we’re borrowing from the measurements that we took during the inspection and copied from the sales flier, but here’s what we’ve got (the washer & dryer are stacked in the small mudroom off of the carport):

*There aren’t measurements for the smaller spaces like the bathrooms or hallways, but the total square footage for this house is around 2,500 square feet

The funny thing is that if you look at our current house’s floor plan it might seem a bit familiar. We always said if we built onto our house we’d love to add a nice master bedroom with a true master bath (since our current casa only has one full bath in the entire house and no master suite at all) and we wouldn’t mind somehow creating a larger family/living room (we’ve always longed for a casual and comfy sectional but our current house just wouldn’t accommodate one thanks to the long narrow family and living room layouts). Sherry has also always had serious island envy and lo and behold, the new house could actually support one of those as well. In other words, just talking about it gets us all geeked out and excited since it’s kind of like a combination of our current house and a few more things we’ve always wanted.

We’re just so thankful that after some pretty rigorous searching we finally found this baby. In fact it has nearly everything going for it when it comes to our parameters (great school, great location near family, a lush and lovely yard for Burger & The Bean, within our budget, etc) except that it’s admittedly a tad bigger than we had targeted.

We like living modestly, making spaces multitask, and most of all not having to clean a huge house. But at around 2,500 square feet it’s nothing too crazy, and we’re sure we can grow into it and take the entertaining brunt off of John’s poor sister (who currently has a 3,000 square foot house so the whole crew always ends up over there- and as fun as that is, we’d love to be a place where the family gathers as well). We figure a bit of extra space couldn’t hurt in that regard, since the average get-together for us is around 10-16 people (and we can currently seat just 6 people at our dining table that sits in the corner of our living room). Plus there are more DIY projects to take on. Ha.

But anyway, here’s how we envision adapting the floor plan to make the house work best for our family (we’ve highlighted the descriptions that have changed in green, but we’ll break things down a bit more below the floor plan for ya):

You’ll notice that we’re thinking about:

• converting the carport into a garage (thanks to a sweet credit the sellers gave us)
  • turning the modestly sized dining room into an office, and even adding pretty french doors to separate that area
  • converting the formal front living room into an entryway with a casual dining room slash library
  • adding a large doorway leading into the kitchen from the new dining room/library
  • making one bedroom into a playroom/future nursery for kiddo number two in a few years (we’re waiting a while), making the second one into Clara’s bedroom, and turning the third one into a guest room for family & friends since they stay with us pretty frequently (upgrade: they’ll now have their own small bathroom to use, instead of having to share one shower with all of us).
  • adding an island in the kitchen and widening the doorway that leads to the former family room…
  • …which will become our one and only living room- we’ve learned that three rooms with sofas in this current house (the living room, den, and sunroom) aren’t necessary for the way we live, and the formal living room just doesn’t get used. So creating a nice large casual living space with a sectional and lots of room will hopefully make our house into a place where everyone gathers, which is a huge goal of ours. And the more spacious kitchen that’s centrally located (which is soon to be open on all four sides) will definitely help create that airy, welcoming, accommodating feeling for large groups like our huge crazy family.
  • creating an amazing double sided fireplace since the back of the fireplace in the kitchen can hopefully be blown out so there’s also access to it from the living room.

Update: One change we decided to make after posting this but before moving in was to use Bedroom #1 (the smallest closest bedroom) as Clara’s room and turn Bedroom #2 (the larger middle one) into a playroom/second kids bedroom. Bedroom #2 will probably end up being Clara’s big girl room and our second child will move into the nursery (Bedroom #1) in a few years when he or she exists.

Of course we won’t do any major work (knocking down walls, building an island, fully gutting and renovating the bathrooms, blowing out that fireplace, etc) before we live there a little while and we’re sure it all makes sense for the way we actually end up using the house. We’ve never subscribed to the knock-down-walls-and-refinish-everything-before-moving-in way of life since we never would have come up with the close-off-a-door-to-gain-a-bedroom-and-a-whole-wall-of-cabinetry-in-the-kitchen plan that dawned on us only after living in our house for about six months. But we will jump right in with things like painting the walls, kitchen cabinets, trim, and doors along with switching out light fixtures, other hardware, and beginning to slowly but steadily furnish the place in a casual, affordable, and kid-friendly way. It’s honestly all I think about these days. I have about 500 tear sheets, notes, and other inspiration piles surrounding me at all times. Is it mid-December yet?

Comments

I’m so excited…almost as excited as if this were my new house. Looking forward to reading about all the new projects!

I do have one question about your proposed ideas…do you think that it will be odd at all for the front door to be in the dining room? We are currently using the front room in our home where the front door is as a dining area but thinking about staging it for sale as a sitting area because I just think it’s a bit odd for the front door to plop guests right in the dining area. Can’t think of anyone else’s house like that….what do you think? Do you have ideas for how you will create an “entry-way” type area in a dining room? I’ve been racking my brain…

Hey Katie N,

We envision a really casual dining space with a big round table (that can also double as a craft table for the kiddo(s)) and cushy upholstered chairs that feel warm and welcoming instead of all hard and wood-ish if that makes sense. There are some great built-ins in that room and we’ll add curtains and other casual, soft, and welcoming elements so it hardly feels too formal or food-focused. At least that’s our hope!

Why yes, yes it is. Haha. It’s one of those hallways that leads to the sink and vanity, which is separate from the toilet and shower (which is on the right). Lots of work to do!

Hey guys! So I’ve only been reading your blog for a couple of months now, but have been a faithful follower ever since I started! Anyway, I (just about 5 minutes ago) read about your wedding and discovered that my husband and I got married on the same day as you guys! (yes, one of the other 36,000, but at the time I SWEAR it was all my idea). I just need you to know how much it freaks me out that we were married at the same time but you guys are light years ahead of us … you have a baby! You own a home! Goodness … at least when I thought you had been married for years and years I felt like “one day, when I’ve been married for as long as them I’ll ….”
    But now I can’t. Oh dear. :) Thanks for the blog, it’s wonderful!

3. Heidi says

Ahhh!!! I’m so excited for you guys! My hubby and I are looking to buy our first house in Fall of 2011, and want to get a fixer-upper as well…I’ll be living vicariously through you until then! Good luck on all the new adventures – this time around you’ve got some of the projects down to a science. :)

4. Molly says

Oh this all looks so amazing – I don’t blame you for having a million ideas, that is some great floorplan canvas to work with (ack mixing metaphors)… quick thought though – I know you’re saying wait a few years for the next kiddo, but beware of placing a newborn next to a three or four year old clara’s room, unless you want TWO sleep-deproved kiddos instead of just one. Even if the acoustics are fantastic, Clara will still hear a baby crying right next door and Clara’s opinion of Petersik Offspring #2 may dive sharpish if he/she keeps waking her up!

Ooh good point Molly. Something to think about. I guess we’re spoiled by our sleeps-all-night baby (Clara has been doing that pretty much since we took her home from the hospital) but you never know about the next baby. He/She might make up for it…

5. Tara C says

EEK! I am so excited to watch this house transform into another incredible home for your family! And as a mother of “almost” 4 (4th in March) – I’m especially excited to see how you do this with a baby around! :-) Best of wishes to you!

Thanks for the teaser! I’m so excited to read and glean ideas and inspiration from you guys as you move and begin to do your thing in the new house! I can’t even imagine how excited you must be for moving day!!!

Hey, but what about Christmas decorations?! If you move mid-December, what’s the plan for decorating your new house??

I’ll be sad if there’s no holiday posts from you two!!!

Not to worry! There will be tons of holiday decorating and gifting posts (both here in our current house and then again in the new house). We can’t resist decorating once Thanksgiving is over, so we’ll definitely do it twice. Once before the move, and once after!

good job with Floorplanner, very professional! so many possibilities!

have you thought about how it would feel to walk in the front door right into the dining room? Another possibility would be to have the dining room behind the kitchen (in the front part of the current family room.) Then you could still have the office at the front, or you could put the office in the space at the back of the current family room (and use the dining room for a play area, perhaps….)

can’t wait to see what you end up doing with all of this space! so exciting!

Hey Carole,

Yup, scroll up for a bit more info on that. We’ve definitely considered a ton of possibilities but when we share pics of the space and what we’re envisioning we hope it’ll make sense. It’s a you-had-to-be-there thing! Haha.

9. Mary says

OMG a fireplace in the kitchen? That would have instantly sold me. I am so jealous. Is that a patio between the master bedroom and secondary bedrooms? I am imagining a secret garden-like reading getaway. So excited to see more!