An Old Ikea Coffee Table Hack Of Yore

Every once in a while someone asks us where we found the table in the sunroom and it reminds us that we owe you some details.

We actually DIYed it a few years back with a $7.99 lack table from Ikea and the old tabletop that came with the inexpensive thrift store pedestal that we bought to create this table in the corner of the very same room (see how we removed the original square tabletop and replaced it with a larger round top from Lowe’s right here).

And since that original square tabletop was then up for grabs we decided to put it to good use as the new top for our lack table. Of course if you don’t have a thrift store tabletop on hand, you can always buy a nice chunky square piece of wood from the hardware store (and even have it cut to size by them) to create one. Here’s a view from below so you can check out the undercarriage:

We just used simple metal L-brackets to attach the lack table to the new top for a chunky game table that we use all the time (we sit on the floor cushions and play Scrabble). Oh and our tip here would be to make sure the screws that you use to attach the L-bracket to the tabletop are short enough so they won’t poke through the top of the table. That would be bad.

In case you’re wondering why the top of the lack table is wood-toned while the legs are white, we originally used a wood-toned lack table and later switched the legs for white ones (we also had a white lack table around) when we decided we wanted them to match the top as opposed to having a two-toned look. We were just feeling lazy so we screwed the white legs into the wood-toned lack top since it was already attached with L-brackets to the new larger wood tabletop. We figure no one but Burger sees the evidence that the lack table was once a different color so it’s fine. So that’s how that little sunroom game table came to be. Have you guys done any more elaborate Ikea hacking lately? Any Target or HomeGoods hacking going on?

Psst- Here’s our biggest Ikea hack to date, in fact it even landed us on a while back. We heart that site.

1. Kim says

Hey Guys! Love the blog! But I’m curious why you guys decided to paint those knots on the floor RIGHT before you put it up on the market?! They work with the way you guys have the room set up, but as someone who is looking at houses right now, I see it as something I would need to paint over if I bought the house—because I might not decorate that room the same way. Just curious! Thanks!

Hey Kim,

We’re of the thought that something that can easily be painted over isn’t a deterrent for home buyers and we would even gladly paint them ourselves if a potential buyer put in an offer and asked us to do that before we leave. Here in Richmond, Sunny’s stencils (which we used to paint the floor) are actually held in high regard (some of the coolest local shops and a home that was in featured in Domino magazine have them on the floor) so we view it as more of a selling feature for most local house hunters than anything else. So far we’ve gotten great feedback on them from agents and individual buyers alike. Hope it helps!

You’re like the Europeans with a pig; you use every part :)! I haven’t hacked anything yet, as I’m just getting started with my projects, but this is yet another great idea for for future reference.

3. ErinEvelyn says

Oh how I wish I could hack some IKEA pieces apart/together…… but our closest store is 3.5 hours away (180 miles). John & Sherry, I love love love YHL, but why must you always rub it in that my IKEA is nearly a world away? ;)

So sorry! It’s a true travesty indeed. We vote for more Ikeas so everyone has one nearby. If it makes you feel any better ours is 2 hours away (4 hours round trip) but sometimes we just can’t resist the drive!

4. Shannon says

Thanks for posting this hack. I showed Hubster the picture of the table in the past and tried explaining what you had done but just got a “HUH?” response. Now I can show him a plan! I’m going to copy this hack for our living room. As a family of four in a small house custom size furniture that we can use all the time (snacks, games, toys, etc.) is critical. We’ve been on the serious hunt for a specific size table that fits those needs without breaking the bank to no avail.

What brand/color of paint have you found to match the Ikea white? I tried the Fresh Air off the shelf white but it’s more brite white than the Ikea Pax wardrobes.

Hey Shannon,

We used off the shelf white paint from Behr (in semi-gloss) for that table and it seems to work well. For an exact match just bring home white paint swatches and hold them up to your Ikea stuff to see which one blends in best. Good luck!

5. maggie says

Do you guys go to the Woodbridge one? I went to my first Ikea by University of Maryland a few weeks ago and i loved it!

6. Chandeen says

My husband and I were looking for floating shelves, but the shelves and brackets were too expensive, even at Ikea. Then we found the same shelves (but bigger, which was better) all put together in the “as is” section. They were a bit long for our space so we cut off the end, put the brackets back on and now we have great shelves for the price of just the brackets in the regular department.

If it is any consolation Erin we live 3.5 hours away too. We can only go when we visit the in-laws.

7. Kelley says

What great timing!!! I have a bench I’m going to redo for a coffee table and we need a new top on it. (It was left in our garage when we bought the house and I can’t wait to see its potential!) I just wasn’t sure how to attached a new top to the bottom. Thanks guys!!