Baby’s First Halloween – A Little Handprint Pumpkin

Even though we made four puffy painted pumpkins already (one for each family member), we knew we couldn’t let Clara’s first Halloween go by without some traditional pumpkin carving action as well. And last weekend’s trip to the pumpkin patch definitely got us in the mood. Here’s the queen of our world flinging her arms out as if to say “I’m the queen of the world!”

And we even gave our royal highnesss the option to choose her very own pumpkin for herself, and she quickly picked this one out:

Ok, so maybe “picking out” meant more like touching one of the pumpkins we sat her next to. But she truly couldn’t keep her hands off of that one in particular, so we brought it home for a mere $2 (she’s already thinking frugally!).

We knew we wanted to keep the carving simple, since we don’t always have time for complex around here anymore. And thinking about how Clara was getting all hands-y with the pumpkin back at the patch sparked an idea. All it took was Clara keeping her hand still long enough to get a good tracing.

Maybe “good” is a stretch, but we deemed the one of the left “workable enough.”

We traced it on cardstock, so cutting it out left me with nice template to trace onto Clara’s pumpkin.

The plan had always been to use two handprints as the pumpkin’s eyes, but the fact that the fingers made them look like feminine eyelashes was a happy accident. An accident we then ran with by adding some puckered lips for the mouth and a wavy hairline at the top. Guess our baby girl is getting a girly pumpkin!

Some careful cutting later, we ended up with this:

And with the addition of a flameless candle votive we’ve got our traditional jack-o-lantern with a first-year-of-parenthood twist. Simple, but we quite like it.

Oh, and speaking of Halloween, check out how we’re embarrassing dressing our kiddos this year for their first hurrah together.

Yup, Clara’s a hamburger (in honor of her bro) and Burger’s reprising his role as a hot dog to complete the theme. Both are store bought (Clara’s from Old Navy, Burger’s from Target). Somehow I feel like our little lady’s gonna give us a hard time about this when she’s 16…

Psst- We announced our big winner for this week’s contest at the end of Monday’s original contest post. And Ikea actually surprised us by tripling the number of $350 gift cards they’re giving away. Click here to see if you’re part of that lucky trio!

1. Cara says

OMG! This post was off the richter on the cuteness scale! Thanks for a good laugh this morning. Yeah, Clara is gonna roll her eyes at that pic in a few years, but I bet she will appreciate it when she’s 25 :)

Oh, that girly pumpkin is ADORABLE! That turned out quite nicely and shows that simple is often the way to go!

And your grilled goods are looking quite stunning in their costumes as well! I’m looking forward to seeing my nieces and nephews all dressed up this weekend!

3. Elizabeth says

Sooooo cute! That top picture is adorable. The pumpkin loos really good with the flameless candle.

And those IKEA folks knew what they were doing, even though I didn’t win the giftcard I had already spent some of that money in my mind…so I am headed to IKEA after work to pick up a few things.

We were trying to fix the pocket door, which we ended up completely taking apart (picture us ripping off molding, breaking out the crobar, etc). Craziness. We’ll post about that adventure soon.

Cute!!! Love the costumes, and I thought I’d tell you (though I’m sure you know, because you are uber-on-top-of-life) that you could take the little critters to Chipotle. They’re offering $2 burritos to those who are dressed as processed food! Score!

We actually heard about that a few days ago. We thought it might be more chaotic than fun, but we laughed at the thought of trying to juggle our dressed up kiddos while munching on a $2 burrito!

5. Kyleen says

What a great idea for your lil’ punkin! It’s our baby girl’s first Halloween, too! She’s almost 10 months and she’s going to be a lady bug all because I found this hat –
    (it’s soooo cute on) Anyway, love love love your blog! It’s really inspiring us to get on the move and start updating our house. We just finishing installing laminate wood flooring (ugh) and next is a redo of our half bath! Thanks for helping with the inspiration!

6. Molly P-H says

The riffs on burger and dog are killin’ me!! LOVE!! Her burger costume looks much better than store bought — did you guys craft that TOO??? Awesome. Molly in Fla.

Molly P-H – We’re not so handy when it comes to costume sewing so these are both store bought (burger from Old Navy, hot dog from Target). They were quite the deal for how good they look!

Hayley – I wouldn’t say we’re experts in the pumpkin carving arena either but some things that always help us: make sure the hole you cut in the top is big enough for your hand and is either jagged or wavy (like ours) so you can set your top askew to let candle heat/smoke out without it falling in. We like to trace our design on first using a pen or Sharpie and then use the cheap pumpkin cutting saws you can get at the store to make slow and careful cuts. Remember you can always cut off more, but it’s pretty hard to put anything back! Have fun!

7. Elizabeth says

So funny that you mention fixing a pocket door. The first house I bought (not my current house) had a pocket door between the front hall and the kitchen. When I toured the house before buying it would not go all the way back into the wall because the homeowners had installed an over the stove microwave and the bolts stuck into the wall cavity where the door was supposed to go. So in our contract that was listed as one of the things to fix. When I went to the house after the closing the door was GONE! LOL! They “fixed” it by removing it and sealing up the doorframe. It was cosmetically perfect, but a bit of a surprise. Lesson learned…be more specific about repairs in a home purchase contract.