Window Shopping: Get The Goods

By now you guys have probably grown accustomed to our random tours through places like Target, Ikea, Crate & Barrel and Anthropologie with our camera in tow. But this time we traipsed through HomeGoods and couldn’t stop ourselves from snapping pictures of all the things that we loved (with fabulous prices to match). So without further ado, here’s what’s frying our bacon these days from the decor mecca that is HomeGoods…

This amazing white cut-out urn is nothing short of art when it’s placed in the center of a large dining table or displayed on a console table or buffet. And although we’ve seen them in a few places for upwards of $100-150, this baby (which is nearly 2′ tall by the way) will run you just $55.

Here’s another fun cut-out urn that came in a playful mustard color and was a bit smaller. This one’s just $25 and we think it would look equally chic on any number of tables, shelves or bookcases. We love the exotic Moroccan vibe and can even picture it in a posh bathroom full of sea sponges.

This $12 hot pink Buddha made us smile, and we can just see it lending a cool Domino-ish effect to any room when placed atop a large pile of hardcover books or displayed on a bookcase with some other eclectic accessories.

And although I know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea (John even declared that these guys were “straight up ugly”) you know I was smitten with these gorgeous $39 oversized white lacquered greyhounds. I can’t help it- my white ceramic animal menagerie always has room for one more (or ten…).

But don’t get me wrong. Not all animal-related accents are created equal in my book. Some are just plain weird. Like this cat that is somehow holding a basket with a kitten in her mouth. But with so many treasures to be discovered you’re bound to have to dig through some questionable things too. And we’re always down for a laugh while we window shop so we welcome discoveries like this.

This large round mirror is a bit reminiscent of the one we painted for our nursery, but this one comes in crisp white and is a bit softer and less geometric when it comes to the frame. Oh and have we mentioned the $39 price tag? Not bad at all.

HomeGoods is also a great place to dig around for affordable art, and this giant ready-to-hang canvas is just $49.

We also loved this frame with a beachy coral vibe. It’ll only set you back $6.99 and we think it would look charming in nearly any environment, from a home office to a bedside table.

This romantic and ruffled pillow looked so high end in so many ways. From the raw silk embellishments to the so-hot-right-now greeny yellow tone, it had me drooling. And the price tag? Just $14 (it originally sold for upwards of $60). Score.

We actually have very similar chic little glasses with woven sleeves but ours were on clearance from Sur La Table. We haven’t seen anything that’s very cheap since, but these guys are just $2.99 a pop so they’re definitely a do-able way to add texture and interest to any table setting (and they even look charming as vases, votive holder, pen holders, or even cotton ball and q-tip containers in a beachy bathroom).

We thought these initial mugs were reminiscent of the ones sold at Anthropologie for $6 but these are just $3.99 a pop. They too would make such great pen holders on a desk and could even work as a monogrammed toothbrush holder of sorts in an elegant black and white bathroom.

And these Chantal tea kettles came in so many glossy and fun colors (with $24 price tags) that we could totally picture someone snatching one up to add a bit of zip to any kitchen (just leave it on the stove full time for a dash of color- and of course use it to whip up tea for company).

The towel selection was also pretty impressive this time around. Sometimes things like that are hit or miss but we were loving all the prints that resembled vintage hex-tile details from a bathroom. And the soft blue, white, tan and mocha color scheme was right up our alley.

But if there’s one thing HomeGoods has above all other stores, it’s their amazing (and affordably priced) lamp selection. There are always at least two (if not many more) that I’m dying to buy on the spot. If only our house had ten more rooms that needed table lamps! This cheerful yellow guy was huge and bulbous (in the photo you can’t really tell the scale, but it’s gorgeously large and in charge). And the $49 price tag beats the pants off any other colorful ceramic lamps and shades that you can find (which usually can run you around $130+ at lighting stores and even places like Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel).

We also loved this curvy blue-based beauty. And the $39 price tag was the icing on the cake. Two of these babies on either side of a bed or couch could MAKE the room. And they’re hundreds of dollars less than picking up two almost anywhere else.

So that’s what tickled our fancy when we took a stroll through HomeGoods. What do you guys think? Any favorite items among the bunch? Are there any other cheap-o home accessories (from there or anywhere else) that have you drooling these days? What colors are doing it for you these days? And what accessories are you currently on the prowl for? Do tell. Oh and check out Bryn’s recent HomeGoods excursion (I’m obsessed with the green elephant at the end).

Oh and p.s. – We have no affiliation with HomeGoods nor were we paid or otherwise rewarded for this post by those fine decor-loving folks. We just like sharing affordable items that appeal to us and we hope that you enjoy our little window shopping excursions. If you’d like to check out more of our shopping adventures, click here for a plethora of past virtual shopping sprees.

1. jbhat says

Why oh why oh why is there no Home Goods store in Seattle? I would gladly spend altogether too much money there. Don’t they know this?

I actually own those mugs! A ‘K’ for me and a ‘P’ for hubby. :) I thought it would be nice to have a matching set. I love your idea too though as pen holder or toothbrush holder when we get tired of drinking tea out of them. ;)

Great HomeGoods’ finds! Love that store!

My fave is the Buddha! The Greyhounds creep me out! If you are ever in Calgary AB Canada Twisted Goods is a delightful little store for accessory shopping. NOt everything is cheap but there are good deals at times. You can check out their website here:

4. Stephanie says

What did you buy?? Don’t tell me you walked out empty handed? Great stuff. I just loved that blue based lamp and ALL of the bath towels!! Thanks for the eye candy!! Two days till you have your little girl per my guess on the baby pool!

Ahhh, sadly Stephanie we did come home empty-handed on this particular trip. Even though there was so much to love in the store, we didn’t have a good spot for any of it back at home. So we behaved ourselves and kept our wallets in our pockets. But believe us, that’s a rare event when it comes to Home Goods…

5. Sandy says

You know those bumper stickers that say “I brake for yard sales?” I need one that says “I brake for HomeGoods stores.” Seriously…I am the HomeGoods queen. I even have rituals. When you find something truly amazing and perfect and prices unbelievably, you have to say “Score!” out loud as you put it in your cart. And I’m with you regarding the lamp section. Amazing deals. Amazing lamps. (My only frustration is that sometimes you find that one amazing lamp that is just perfect — but they don’t have a second one.)

May I make a suggestion for a future post? How about asking people to submit their best HomeGoods score EVER? With pics, maybe? We can all drool with jealousy. (Mine would be the pair of white ceramic lamps with whimsical bubble cutouts, perfect for my new office — for $29 each. (I talked the manager down from $39 because there was a boo-boo on the lampshades. All I did was turn it to the wall, and it doesn’t even show.)

6. Jennifer D. says

That’s it! I swear you all are going shopping with me next time at that store because I was just at Home Goods this past weekend at Short Pump and my eyes must have malfunctioned because I didn’t see those awesome items, LOL! Those are excellent finds and I am almost tempted to get my husband to run over there later this evening to do some shopping. I think my favorite is the artwork–it would look fab in our family room. Great job you two! :-)

7. Linda says

You make me NEED to go to Home Goods this week! I always spend hours in that store just browsing through all of the treasures. And I agree about the lamps, that’s where we got the pair for our bedroom. :)

8. Katie says

Great stuff! Is this a Richmond only store? Or a chain where I could score some decor. Of course without a car, I may to just keep drooling online.

I had no idea HomeGoods had such great stuff. I have been looking for a lamp like the green one you photographed and anywhere I find one is like $300. Unfortunately, I don’t think they have HomeGoods in Washington State. :(

I’m on the hunt for nursery items. I’ve gone thru all the baby stores and decided that I’ll be looking elsewhere for decor. I’m not due until the end of October but I am dying to get the room together. I’m currently convincing my husband that it’s not too early to start. :)

11. Wade says

Hey John,

I am brand new to your website and showed my friends your renovation projects. I recently just bought my first house and interested on your thoughts on trim.
    I am going back and forth on whether to replace the existing bedroom trim. The house is a 1975 brick ranch, so it has the original baseboard trim. My question is; did you leave much of your existing trim, or did you leap to replace it.

Thanks for your insight,
    Wade Saginaw, MI

Hey Wade,

We left all of our original trim and just gave it a fresh coat of paint since it was in pretty good condition. So we’d say keep it unless you have a major issue with its style or condition. Hope that helps!

I ? home goods! You found lots of good stuff! I hope you gave in a bought that adorable kitten’n’a’basket statute ;) My fav would have to be glasses with the woven shelves and the coral frame, I love the coastal, beachy look! Did you end up buying anything?

Didn’t buy anything on this trip, Jenny, but it wasn’t for lack of love – just lack of empty spots in our house!

Lenore – thanks for the tip about Homesense. Now we know of a place to stop if we ever make it north of the border anytime soon!

Just a tip for any Canadians out there lamenting our lack of HomeGoods…Judging from your post, item descriptions and prices I’d say our equivalent is Homesense. It’s owned by Winner’s and everytime I go there I find the most amazing, unique pieces at the best prices in the city!