This is eggciting.

Yup, I just hit you with an egg pun. Watch out for those this time of year. Anyway, we really were excited (there, I resisted it that time) to discover an adorable and very Easter appropriate display of nature that’s actually been living in one of our former DIY projects. Can you tell what’s going on in this picture?

Yes, that’s a nest with two adorable eggs in it. And guess where that nest is located? Why it’s in one of our homemade porch lanterns (learn how we turned cheap bulb covers from Home Depot into sweet candle-lit porch decor right here).

Mr and Mrs Bird just built it right on top of the candle that’s inside of the middle lantern. Isn’t that cute? Even the UPS lady stopped to check it out.

And on the subject of eggs, we wanted to link back to this oldie-but-a-goodie post about all natural egg dying. It could be a fun project to take on this Easter weekend. Speaking of this weekend, we’re set to have a few lovely 80 degree days here in Richmond and we’re oh so happy to welcome the warmer weather after what seemed like a never-ending winter (something about being due in the spring had us jonesing for sunny skies even in October). We hope wherever you are that you’re having some great weather and enjoying whatever your yard has to offer. Ours has been serving up some pretty buds on nearly every tree in sight:

And some sweet blooms on a few of the bushes that surround our house:

Which means my allergies are back with a vengeance. Does anyone have any all natural allergy cures to share? I’ve tried the whole local honey thing along with the Neti Pot with limited success and I have a good air purifier (and am sure to drink lots of water) but I’m still pretty sniffly these days. Oh well, the spring scenery makes it all worth it.

So there you have one egg-tastic discovery and some exterior photos to keep you up to date with the nature situation here at Casa Petersik. Do you guys have any funny bird’s nest locations to share (last year we found one in John’s bike helmet in the garage)? Have any of you been snapping photos of blooms, buds or any other outside eye candy? Do tell.

1. Katie says

Aw! That is so cute! When I was growing up, a robin laid eggs in the tiny little window above our front door. It was so cool to see them hatch and grow up!!

I have horrible allergies too…Plus I’m just getting over a cold. I made a vow to not take allergy meds this year, because last year I found out that a lot of them cause and exacerbate depression, anxiety, nightmares, paranoia, etc. If you google claritin and depression, some of the things you find are scary! And I know they’re true because I found myself being uncharacteristically nasty to my sweet fiance, and then also just sad and moody as well.

I was researching allergy stuff this morning because I’m trying to get over a cold, be allergy free, AND I’m supposed to be at an outdoor bbq tomorrow…So on my lunch here in a few min, I’m headed to the vitamin shoppe to try quercetin with bromelain.

I am all about being all natural these days and hope this is going to help me out A LOT. The reviews on WebMD were really positive.

I don’t know how it would be for someone prego though…so good luck!!!

2. Ericka says

Sherry, have you tried the neti pot? I’ve heard good things about that. Also, Xlear helps my son’s allergies – it’s a saline nasal spray with xylitol in it. You could Google it to find out more.

3. Katie says

I don’t know if I did something wrong when I put my comment in?? ooops!! I guess I’ll wait and see if it pops up and then try again??

4. Alice says

Such a sweet bird nest with eggs. Once (actually twice!) I had a hummingbird build a nest on top of my roadrunner windchime. You can imagine how tiny a hummingbird nest is and the eggs are so itty bitty!

Netty Pot!! I use it x2 daily and let me tell you, after years of being skeptical, I wish I wasn’t so stubborn! This has really helped me with allergies, sinus infections and migraines! Good luck!

Hey Heather and Ericka,

I actually own and use a Neti Pot quite frequently during allergy season but sadly once I get a full blown allergy attack going on nothing can make breathing out of my nose a possibility. In fact I’ve had the Neti Pot just straight up refuse to flow because I’m 100% blocked. Sad but true. Oh well, maybe this year will somehow be better. Fingers crossed…

6. Katie says

Okay…I can’t figure out what I did to my other comment, but I wanted to say that I have been reading alot about a supplement called Quercetin, which has valuable antioxidant properties and is a natural treatment for allergies. The reviews of it on webMD seem really promising. I am headed out to pick some up on my lunch break here in a few.

I mostly swore off regular antihistamines because of the things I experienced while taking them, and what I read that backs up what I went through. I was really moody on claritin and just plain mean sometimes to my sweet fiance. Other times I’d have nightmares or just be depressed or anxious for no reason at all. After reading up on it, I found that a lot of people experienced the same side effects.

Plus I’m really trying to be as green and natural as I can, so cutting out meds where they aren’t necessary is always good.

I do a neti pot too…but like you it doesn’t always work for me. It sometimes helps with sinus pressure, but for stuffage, it doesn’t do much.

Was hoping since we had a cold winter here in VA that it would somehow be less polleny, but I guess that was too much to ask!!

7. Sally says

Sherry, I feel your pain with the stuffiness, but wanted to send hope that it’ll probably get a whole lot better one your baby arrives. Your mucus membranes are on overdrive with the pregnancy, making an already stuffy time worse. I use Mentholatum constantly. It’s especially helpful at night. Hope you catch your breath soon!

Re: seasonal/airborne allergies . . . I have a book called “Curing Airborne Allergies”, written by a scientist who used to work for Dow chemical. He did a longitudinal study over 17 years on himself, with his wife and children as a control group. He had serious allergies (seasonal/pollen-induced, as well as chemical fumes, etc.), and over the years, discovered that three things completely cured them:

1. Elimination of ALL caffeine (coffee, soft drinks, chocolate, everything).

2. Getting enough rest. (Including taking a nap/going to bed early if he was having an attack.)

3. Drinking enough chlorine- and flouride-free (i.e. pure) water.

Sounds simple enough, right? In our world, though, it’s not so easy. But give it a try . . . caffeine is such a strong stimulant that it’s hard to quit (although it only takes about three days of headaches and shakes, usually), and in our world, enough sleep and water is much easier on our bodies than running them at an artificial high with caffeine.

I’ve definitely found that these three things work like a charm . . . so I hope this helps, and have a GREAT Easter!

9. Erin says

Sherry–there is some research that eating yogurt can help with your allergies as well as helping kids with asthma.

10. Kira says

I have a lot of the same troubles as you, Sherry, and I use the neti pot an average of 10 times a week! When I get overly stuffed, I use a simple saline nose spray to open up the passages, and then follow with the N.P. I can’t seem to take ANY allergy medicine without getting either dizzy or extremely sleepy, so if you hear of something…please pass the info on! :) For now I’ll have to settle on carrying tissues around with me everywhere.