You Know You’re Obsessed With DIY When…

1. You have a painting belt. Yes John has a belt that is specifically designated for painting. We learned early on that you can lose many an outfit to permanent paint drips so we each have one “summer painting outfit” (which consists of one pair of shorts and a tee shirt) and one “winter painting outfit” (which consists of one pair of jeans and a sweatshirt) to keep us from ruining everyday clothes all the time (and from having to dedicate an entire drawer to painting clothes). However, John did get paint on one of his belts pretty early on, so it has become an important part of both his summer and winter painting ensembles. He argues that he’s not very efficient if his pants are constantly falling down while he’s trying to get his roll on and I have to agree.

2. The first person to rub your baby belly is a Home Depot employee. Yes this is a true story. Thanks to my short torso and my genes, I started “showing” pretty much right after I found out I was prego. And although I heard stories of strangers and friends spontaneously reaching out to pat pregnant bellies, no one other than John had been near mine. Until we went to Home Depot to pick up a few things and one of my favorite cashiers immediately noticed and congratulated me by reaching out and rubbing my tummy! The funny thing is that I didn’t really mind. See, there are a bunch of employees who work there (and at Lowe’s and Ace and True Value for that matter) who are all like family to us. Why shouldn’t they be when we practically live there right along with them? So that’s how the first non-husband-hand to rub my belly came to be that of a Home Depot cashier. Think we should put that stat in the baby book?

3. Four out of the eight drawers in your kitchen are dedicated to tools and painting supplies. Yes it’s true. One is devoted to silverware, two are “junk drawers” and one is full of plastic bags, tin foil and wax paper. The other four are full of everything from hammers and screwdrivers to sandpaper and even rollers and paint trays. They say the kitchen is the heart of the home so I guess our tools have a special place in our heart.

4. Your eight pound chihuahua isn’t the slightest bit startled by the sound of a power saw or a hammer (and he’s afraid of pretty much everything else). Somehow over the years Burger has become immune to the sounds of us bashing out walls and nailing in trim, so even though his eyes snap open and get wide with terror when he hears a leaf rustle outside, he actually falls asleep to the sound of us noisily pulling our house apart (and just as noisily putting it back together).

5. There’s no limit to the extent of uncomfortable acts that you’ll commit in the name of home improvement. Showering outside with icy hose water in 40 degree weather since the shower’s torn apart? Check. Sleeping on an air mattress in the den because the bedroom floors are getting refinished? Check. Going without a kitchen for 113 solid days while you assemble a new one? Check. Waking up on New Year’s Day at 8:20 to hit up Ikea? Check. It’s like an episode of Survivor around here. We’re just crazy in love with our house and we’ll pretty much go to the end of the earth just to spruce things up. It’s a sickness people. And you know what? We’re oddly proud of it.

What about you guys? Do you deserve some insanity badge when it comes to your commitment to home improvement? Have you endured something truly strange or especially trying (at least now that you look back on it) in the name of DIY? Do tell.

Comments

1. Holly says

Love it!
    Our dog Belle comes running every time she hears my husband switch on our air compressor….even begs for him to spray the air gun at her!

2. Katie says

This post was pretty funny. But I think my love of DIY came from growing up with parents who were constantly in and out of home depot and lowes and fixing up everything on a budget. It’s all I’ve ever known! I wouldn’t know how to pay full price for something if I tried!!

I live in an apartment right now, so DIY can only consume bits and pieces of my life…but all of new years week I was obsessed with fixing up my second bedroom into a guest room/office. I had a half day nye so we shopped for some supplies and decor and got the paint last. And we ended up painting our room new years eve! Unfortunately, the walls are super textured and I didn’t know to buy different rollers to accomodate them. Paint was EVERYWHERE except the tiny little crevices in the wall that refused to hold any paint!! Um, happy new year to us!!?!

My fiance knows when he’s gone for too long I’ll have rearranged or painted something. He’s used to it now. ha ha.

3. Karen says

Oh yes, it’s insanity! I stayed at home while our hardwood floors were being handscraped/refinished in our hallways, kitchen and family room. My husband & both kids went to stay with relatives out of town (to avoid the fumes). We have a den & a master bedroom with exterior doors. I was able to hunker down with the TV in one room, exit the door and walk around the back to get in the master bedroom. Of course, both rooms were FILLED with furniture, art, lamps, closet contents, etc…., and were like walking in a minefield. And the fumes were truly inTOXICating! But, the floors now look beautiful!

Oh yeah it’s super smelly! We actually left the house for over a week to let them dry, but in the two days that the guy was coming in and going out and getting things done we were there to let him and we did our best to “live” in the den along with all the furnishings from the entire house. Talk about chaos!

First, that’s an adorable pic of Burger, and I can’t believe that my cat weighs more than two Burgers (he’s a whopping 17 lbs). Second, you have way more patience than I do with the belly-patting. I’m 16 weeks and not showing enough for people to be encouraged to do that, thankfully! Lastly, all of us (your audience) are very glad that you guys are willing to go the extra mile and inconvenience yourselves in the name of home improvement so that we can all live vicariously through you. :)

5. Nancy Shirley says

Years ago my husband decided to start taking down paneling and sheetrocking the dining room. He began by barricading the Christmas tree with torn down paneling. The tree came down in April when his parents came up to visit for Easter- inviting them was the only way I got him to finish the project!

6. Katie says

Three days after we closed on our house, I had to fly to my parents’ for two weeks for various events. The whole plane ride there I was making a to-do list for my new home, and when I arrived at my parents’, channeled my excitement by an impromptu re-painting of their living/dining areas (with their consent!). It definitely helped calm me down for when I could FINALLY get home to start tackling that to-do list.

My hubby HAD a painting belt, but I took the paint off it with nail polish remover. He needed that belt. haha.

Also: I asked for an orbital sander for my birthday. :-P

Working in 17 degree weather refinishing a desk in your boyfriend’s uninsulated garage after trying out your sander on your apartment balcony and finding it’s just a LITTLE bit too loud. For 3 days in a row. Don’t know if I’m quite as “bad” as you all, but maybe when I have a house of my own! :)

9. Kristin says

Here in germany you can have your bulk waste collected by the local waste disposal company, but have to wait for an appointment. As we don’t own a car, we had to use this option when we completely redid the kitchen in our tiny apartment. Thus, we ended up with the old furniture stored temporarily in the living room and bedroom, the new Ikea furniture assembled in the kitchen and study, the circular saw in the hallway – the bathroom was the only place free of kitchen stuff because it was too small.

Love this post! I was laughing the whole way through. And, like Tiffany, I asked for (and received!) a tile wet-saw for my birthday (hello new kitchen countertops!). :)