He Said, She Said: Our DIY Column Is Back

If this magazine cover looks familiar, then you’ve probably already noticed that the second appearance of our “He Said, She Said” column in Do It Yourself Magazine is out on newsstands.

Seeing it again was no less exciting than the first time we tackled decorating disputes from both sides of the gender line, especially since we got to cover even more reader questions (hooray for two-page spreads!). Plus we got the help of a professional illustrator to bring one of our floor plan suggestions to life. It felt like what we imagine providing descriptions to a police sketch artist must be like – though much less “make his eyes more sinister” and more “let’s make the coffee table slightly larger.” Catch a peek at it below (just click each image to enlarge it) or hit up your local Barnes & Noble or home improvement store (yup, they sell magazines) to see the whole she-bang.

Plus, if you want your guy vs. girl dilemma answered in the next issue – submit your question as a comment right here on this post for a chance to be picked by our editor for our next column (linking to a “before” pic on a site like flickr is welcome but not required). Heck, your space might even be the room we get to go all pro-illustration on again. Fun, fun, fun.

Comments

That’s quite ironic. I stooped by the Home Depot yesterday and picked up that exact magazine. When I got to that page and saw your names, I chuckled. It’s a great article.

2. Janelle says

I actually have a male/female question that I was wanting to ask you guys anyway. I love your striped bathroom, and I’ve been seeing stripes a lot of places. I’ve love to stripe a room in my house, but my husband says no. He doesn’t want to have to repaint over it or have to un-personalize it when we move out. Here’s the thing: when we bought our house, it was all the personalization of the previous owners that caught my attention. They didn’t paint any of their walls back to white. I loved the personality. The other thing is that we’re not planning on moving anytime in the next at least 10 years.

YEA!!! I am heading to the store to buy it this afternoon!
    We just moved into a new apartment that is completely different in color and architectural style from anywhere we’ve lived before. So we’ve decided to take a new route in decor and while we’ve both been watching ungodly hours of HGTV, when we head to the store he comments on this being a “no” because its not the exact same shade as the wall/floor/whatever. Meanwhile, he doesn’t trust my opinion because I used to be the classic Decorator’s Daughter. (You know how the preachers son is the most unruly? Yeah, decorators daughter had green carpet, pink walls, and a blue ceiling as soon as I was allowed to pick my own stuff.) Do either of you have an idea as to how I get him to apply what he sees on TV to our rooms?!

I love that you include Burger in all of your press pictures!! We have a Chiwini (dachshund/chihuahua mix) and she reminds us of Burger!

I have a guy/girl dilemma as well. We are newlyweds and bought a house last fall. We love our house but our kitchen needs some work. It is seriously stuck in the 70s and not in a good way. Here’s a glimpse of it:

It is a long, narrow galley style kitchen with a pantry on one end. The other end is open to the back door and part of the den. Here’s where the problem comes in. We know we’re going to update it – new tile, paint the cabinets, new counters, etc.

He’d like to do stainless everything, very sleek and modern (think granite, clean lines) and I’m more of a country farmhouse kind of gal (white farm sink, painted cabinets, wood floors).

The other thing is we’re opening a wall to the den and making it a “bar” by keeping the existing cabinets and putting stools on the other side. I want to make this flow with the rest of our house. He wants to put pub style lights and make it look like a true bar. Again – we’re in need of some his/hers compromise in a serious way!

Hi!
    Saw this spread just last week and had to smile. You guys are doing such a great job! Plus, I love that you include Burger in all that you do.

Take care!
    Erika

YAY! So exciting! AND YES, we would love help solving our girl vs. boy issues. We have a besroom we can NOT decide what to do with. So it just sits there. It’s actually our master bedroom. My husband is very modern and love clean edges. I am more junk market/euro style. We can;t agree on anything! We started a blog (www.joeyandlana.com) and it’s kinda turned into a journal of how we can’t get through a room! So, yes, help is loved!

xo