Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Us

1. A few months before starting this blog we had never painted brick, ripped up a carpet, upholstered a chair, made a headboard, caulked anything, changed out hardware or done pretty much any of the other tutorials we’ve since figured out and shared on our How To page (we’re true believers in learning as you go).

2. Our license plate says “Burgrr” (custom plates are only $10 here so we couldn’t resist).

3. John’s middle name is Freeman in honor of his grandfather (his first name honors his other grandfather named John).

4. My first name is actually not Sherry, it’s Sherry-Beth (my mom thinks it flows like Elizabeth, but it doesn’t- in fact it pretty much ruined my life growing up so I quickly adopted Sherry to avoid the Bobby-Joe-Becky-Sue country bumpkin comparison).

5. The irony of my good ol’ girl name is that my mom’s side of the family is extremely Italian (for example, her name is Diana Teresa DeCesare LaPadula and I have an Uncle Vito, a Grandpa Carmen and a Cousin Dominick) so the odd country/southern reference in my name is totally out of left field (and my brothers and cousins got totally normal monikers: Daniel, David, Adam, Tim, Jennifer).

6. John kissed me first (anyone who knows us is blown away by this because he’s generally the shy one and I’m the loud crazy one).

7. John used to do improv comedy in college and in NYC after he graduated but opted out of that lifestyle after he realized he liked to sleep at night and be awake during the day (thank goodness or I never would have met him working in advertising). Many of his improv acquaintances have gone on to be super famous (he knew Kenneth from 30Rock and a girl named Jenny Slate who’s on SNL this season).

8. I had a tumor in my airway (between my nose and my throat) in middle school. Can you imagine how many times I had to hear “it’s not a tumor”? Thankfully it was benign and two surgeries later I was as good as new. I also had teeth that grew in near the back of my throat and had to be slowly pulled to the front of my mouth through a series of torturous wire tightening exercises (but in hindsight, having a normal smile is totally worth the effort). I always ask my mother what the heck she ate when I was in the womb but she has yet to tell me.

9. John doesn’t drink. Not a drop. He never has, which almost everyone at work quickly learned after a few happy hours with him (he was still the life of the party, just never the one we had to put in a cab at the end of the night). His unwavering willpower and amazing ability never to be “that drunk guy” made him incredibly intriguing and appealing to me… and still has me hooked to this day. Update: We’re not Mormons – which is actually a pretty popular “internet rumor” about us – haha! More on that here.

10. John and I tried out for the Amazing Race back when we were friends right on the cusp of dating (our hook was that the race would either ruin any shot at a relationship or bring us together). We didn’t even get a call back, which I now realize is a good thing as my terrible sense of direction and loud mouth would probably have made us a pretty lame team. I still think John could win the entire thing with a better partner though. He’s great at reading maps, having a strong sense of direction and running (three things I don’t do).

So that was a fun little Friday departure. What about you guys? Any strange facts that will blow us away about you, our lovely readers? Anything that we revealed above that totally surprises you? Number 1? Number 9? Number 10? Do tell.

Psst- want more Burger? Just head on over to Hamburger’s House to see how big his head is getting (along with the rest of him).

Comments

Hey Kara,

We knew someone would say that about our plates! It’s a super old pic (see how little the Burger boy is?) so it’s from back when we got them. Of course now all the stickers are updated but we didn’t want to take them off the car to reshoot the pic so we used the old one. Ha! Maybe fact #11 should be: we’re lazy.

My name is Sara Beth, but it’s not hyphenated, Beth is my middle name. Beth is such a popular middle name, isn’t it? Also – I would mourn for no more wine in my life, however not drinking sounds really good when I remember the nights I ‘had too much’ – worst feeling ever!

I think that #9 is awesome. I don’t drink either and sometimes it is hard when everytime I go out, everyone else has to get “hammered” or pretty close to it to feel like they are having a good time and then I have to make suer that they all get home safe and sound. I am so happy to have found another person that doesn’t see the need to drink. You shoudl write a post about. I bet you would get a lot of comments and would probably help inspire some people too by showing them that it is not necessary to have a good time.

Thanks! :)

These were very cute and super informative :) :) :) Its nice to hear fun random things about people you read about!

Super cute puppy photos of Burger! Also- my husband kissed me first too, and I am the loud one. Although I said “I love you first”- but he will fight me to the death on that one.

Sandra- It was actually my eyeteeth (also called canines I believe, you know the pointy ones on the top row one tooth away from your front teeth)? So weird. Doctors originally just thought they were missing until they showed up in the back of my throat on an x-ray.

Rebekah- Unlike John I do occasionally drink, although never to excess (I’m someone who gets loopy off one glass of wine and feels like crap the next day so I keep to to a minimum amount on special occasions).

Natalie- Yup, Jack McBrayer is totally like his character in person. We used to watch him in an improv group called “Baby Wants Candy” in NYC and he was always the geeky nervous one just like on 30Rock.

Bree- Quirky is never a bad thing. We totally take that as a complement! In fact one of the most common reactions to us when people meet us in person is that we’re “not as straight/more quirky” than they thought we were from reading our blog. I guess sometimes weird doesn’t translate on the internet so you have to meet us in person to “get it.” Ha!

What a fun post! I too did improv comedy in college. I loved it, but I can’t say I was as good as John was! And I don’t drink either! Wow, the funny little things you can find in common with people, eh?

#4. I feel your pain. While my first name is normal – Krista, my middle name is Jo. Talk about 1980’s country bumpkin, Facts of Life wanna be! Hate it. Especially now that I live in Central America and it is pronounced Ho. Krista Ho. Lovely. Oh and my husband and I too had and still have aspirations of doing the Amazing Race. I’m pretty sure we would win, just not so sure that I want the world to see my true colors in situations of pressure!

6. Bree says

#10- shut up! no call back?! We love that show and always think that you two would be the best candidates. Your on-camera-appeal and quirkiness would be SO entertaining!

ps. I hope you don’t take offense to my quirkiness comment, its totally a good thing! :)

7. CJ says

My SO is also a non-drinker, too. It’s nice because there’s always a DD!

I’ve always wanted to do Amazing Race, too, but we’d KILL each other. We get snippy on regular vacations, so we’d fall apart under pressure.

8. Hillary says

Gotta love the Non-drinking type. I too am lucky enough to have one of those! And ironically, we met at a bar! (we were both the DDs of our groups that night).

John, I can’t even begin to tell you how happy it makes me that you don’t drink. My alcoholic dad’s life became an example to me of why not to drink. He’s 49 and he’s been an alcoholic since high school. He got in a drunk driving accident last year and hurt 3 people really bad. Everyone was lucky that they survived. He’s going to prison for this in 3 weeks. He will be in for 7 years. If he never started drinking none of this would have happened. I wish people would realize that. I never drink and people think I’m crazy. It’s so nice to hear that you and a few other commenters don’t either. I agree with Kiran. I would love to see a post from John about what it’s like not to drink. How it is going out with friends or colleagues. It would be so inspirational.