Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Us

1. A few months before starting this blog we had never painted brick, ripped up a carpet, upholstered a chair, made a headboard, caulked anything, changed out hardware or done pretty much any of the other tutorials we’ve since figured out and shared on our How To page (we’re true believers in learning as you go).

2. Our license plate says “Burgrr” (custom plates are only $10 here so we couldn’t resist).

3. John’s middle name is Freeman in honor of his grandfather (his first name honors his other grandfather named John).

4. My first name is actually not Sherry, it’s Sherry-Beth (my mom thinks it flows like Elizabeth, but it doesn’t- in fact it pretty much ruined my life growing up so I quickly adopted Sherry to avoid the Bobby-Joe-Becky-Sue country bumpkin comparison).

5. The irony of my good ol’ girl name is that my mom’s side of the family is extremely Italian (for example, her name is Diana Teresa DeCesare LaPadula and I have an Uncle Vito, a Grandpa Carmen and a Cousin Dominick) so the odd country/southern reference in my name is totally out of left field (and my brothers and cousins got totally normal monikers: Daniel, David, Adam, Tim, Jennifer).

6. John kissed me first (anyone who knows us is blown away by this because he’s generally the shy one and I’m the loud crazy one).

7. John used to do improv comedy in college and in NYC after he graduated but opted out of that lifestyle after he realized he liked to sleep at night and be awake during the day (thank goodness or I never would have met him working in advertising). Many of his improv acquaintances have gone on to be super famous (he knew Kenneth from 30Rock and a girl named Jenny Slate who’s on SNL this season).

8. I had a tumor in my airway (between my nose and my throat) in middle school. Can you imagine how many times I had to hear “it’s not a tumor”? Thankfully it was benign and two surgeries later I was as good as new. I also had teeth that grew in near the back of my throat and had to be slowly pulled to the front of my mouth through a series of torturous wire tightening exercises (but in hindsight, having a normal smile is totally worth the effort). I always ask my mother what the heck she ate when I was in the womb but she has yet to tell me.

9. John doesn’t drink. Not a drop. He never has, which almost everyone at work quickly learned after a few happy hours with him (he was still the life of the party, just never the one we had to put in a cab at the end of the night). His unwavering willpower and amazing ability never to be “that drunk guy” made him incredibly intriguing and appealing to me… and still has me hooked to this day. Update: We’re not Mormons – which is actually a pretty popular “internet rumor” about us – haha! More on that here.

10. John and I tried out for the Amazing Race back when we were friends right on the cusp of dating (our hook was that the race would either ruin any shot at a relationship or bring us together). We didn’t even get a call back, which I now realize is a good thing as my terrible sense of direction and loud mouth would probably have made us a pretty lame team. I still think John could win the entire thing with a better partner though. He’s great at reading maps, having a strong sense of direction and running (three things I don’t do).

So that was a fun little Friday departure. What about you guys? Any strange facts that will blow us away about you, our lovely readers? Anything that we revealed above that totally surprises you? Number 1? Number 9? Number 10? Do tell.

Psst- want more Burger? Just head on over to Hamburger’s House to see how big his head is getting (along with the rest of him).

Love number 9! Current boyfriend of 4 years doesn’t drink. I love it, but sometimes makes happy hour a little stressful for me..for no good reason. I enjoy there are others out there that make it work..sometimes it seems like everyone drinks (eyes rolling during that everyone)!

Love your blog..keep it up!

2. Erika says

I’m impressed that John doesn’t drink! I have always said that you do not have to have alcohol to have a good time!
    It was fun to read these fun little facts.
    p.s. I like Sherry-Beth, but then I live in Alabama!!

I become allergic to sugar snap peas when I’m preggo. Random…I know, usually I can eat them like candy, but each time I’ve been pregnant they close my throat and make my face itch like crazy!

4. Jennifer says

Jenny Slate was the one that dropped the f-bomb on the season premier of SNL–my friend Jeremy started the “Don’t Fire Jenny Slate” web site…which was mentioned on Comedy Central during the whole thing. Very interesting!

I’m right there with John on #9. I’m 27 yo and have never had a drop; it just never appealed to me. I still have a blast out with my friends at the bars, it just costs me a lot less, I don’t have to consume all those extra calories, I can drive myself home & I actually remember it all the next morning!!

6. Amelia says

i think Sherry-Beth is a great name, but i understand dropping the beth part. I didn’t have you pegged for Italian either – you look like you’re from somewhere more exotic – this is a good thing. Thumbs up for John and his no drinking! I wish more people would be like this – i like drinking socially, but i never understood the whole drinking just to get stupid drunk thing. Finally – i would have totally loved to watch you guys on Amazing Race – perhaps this is something you should re-consider??
    Enjoy your weekend :)
    PS. love the license plate too

Hey Karrie (or should I say Karrie Beth?),

Nope, no middle name since the first name is so multifaceted. Which for an Italian mom with about ten names actually shows particular restraint. I’m lucky I’m not Sherry-Beth Thelma-Ray or something equally long winded!

7. Melissa "Beth" says

How funny that your mom named you Sherry-Beth due to its approximation to Elizabeth.
    My parents have always told me that was why they went with Melissa Beth; luckily they had the foresight to leave “Beth” officially as a middle name, but I wanted to share that there are other mothers out there with similar rationale!

All of these are great! I think the last few were the most surprising, however Sherry-Beth might be my favorite! My hubbie doesnt drink either! I really love this post :)

9. Kristin says

#1 surprises me the most! I am addicted to your website and am very eager to own my own house one day (hopefully soon). You guys are such an inspiration. I hope to find a charming older home as well and fix it up like you guys did. Great little post :)

10. Lynn says

So cool! I think Sherry-Beth is very pretty.

I am the non-drinker in my house. Hate the way it makes me feel.

A little of my history.

I met my husband Mikel (pronounced Michael) my senior year in high school. He was a blind date, which I refused to go on for about a month. Then finally I gave in just so my friend would leave me alone. (I had just gone a miserable blind date the month before.)

I am glad I gave in. Though the first date didn’t go that well, he was so shy! I went out with him again, then again, well you get the picture. 20 years later we are still two goofy kids in love!

11. Mandy says

This was fun!

Jack McBrayer went to University of Evansville, which is in my hometown of Evansville, IN and also where my husband went to school. : )

That’s funny about your family. I have Italian on both my mom and dad’s side, but my dad’s grandma was off the boat and his grandpa was 1st generation. My grandpa’s first name is the innocuous George, but oh no, wait for it… his middle name… Guido! Love it. Wish I had an Uncle Vito though… that rocks.

13. Ann says

Love the license plate and love Burger’s blog. I knew he was destined for stardom from the visit to True Value with the photo of him in the cart!

I was kind of surprised by Sherry-Beth, but it’s cute. I can’t see John doing improv, he seems more reserved and quiet. You guys would be great on the Amazing race, I am not a fan, but I’ve seen a few episodes, and I would definitely watch it if you were on. Thanks for sharing!

Hey Ann,

You’re totally right about John being pretty reserved. He was sort of the one-line zinger guy back in his improv days. He’s a super quick thinker but also really quiet so he’d sort of sit back in each skit and let everyone else take the spotlight and then pipe up with the one line that surprised everyone and they’d just lose it. I love his sense of humor because he’s not always cracking jokes every minute, just going for quality over quantity- you know?