We Painted Our Exterior Brick!

But it’s not what you think. Many people ask us if we’d ever paint our little brick ranch but the truth is that although we heavily considered it back when we got it, we’ve grown to love the look of our home’s exterior and completely appreciate the lack of maintenance. See, brick ranchers are known for their durability and ease of ownership (no siding replacement, re-stuccoing, or repainting- ever). Plus here in Richmond if you paint a brick house any medium or light tone (and you know we’d want a tan house with white trim, right?) green mold will start popping up, which requires a thorough scrub down with bleach at least once a season. Can you imagine scrubbing the entire exterior of your house? No thanks.

But back to the matter at hand. If we didn’t paint our brick house how the heck does that title make sense? Well, our sunroom was added about twenty five years after our house was built so it was tacked on in a way that it partially overlapped some of the house’s existing brick exterior (which then became interior brick in the sunroom. See, here I am (on the first day that we laid eyes on our house, incidentally) modeling in front of the sunroom:

sunroom-before-we-painted-the-brick

But after a while we realized that painting the brick wall inside the sunroom to match the soft tan color on the rest of the walls would  immediately make the room feel more cohesive and balanced. So we whipped out some exterior latex paint (since our sunroom isn’t temperature controlled) and got her done. Other than using an exterior paint, we followed the exact same brick-painting tips that we outlined here, so be sure to check them out for the play by play. And here’s the result:

painting-a-brick-sunroom-wall

At first we worried whether seeing the same unpainted brick just beyond the glass door to the left of the wall would be weird, but looking back we realize it looked weird before, when the random brick wall carried over a few feet into our sunroom.

brick-wall-project-house-exterior-paint-ranch

Now the days of pre-painted brick are long forgotten. But we do have another mini-update to share regarding this very spot…

how-to-paint-a-brick-wall

…so stay tuned over the next few days to see what we did (hint: it’s not a baby).

p.s. psst, have you updated your bookmarksreader / blogroll / outgoing links / TwitterFacebook yet? If you’re still heading our way using old TYH methods, they won’t last for long so don’t forget to make the switch! We’d hate to lose a single one of you DIY-lovin’ dudes and dames.

Comments

1. Kate says

I love painted brick despite its maintenance requirement, I am toying with the idea of painting our own front brick fascade since the only portion of our house that is brick is the front (all other sides are wood siding). The sunroom looks great, who would have thought that simple project would product such a fabulous result! What color paint did you use – I love the creamy color!

2. Kylee says

Your sunroom looks great! My new house has one and I can’t wait to rip up the green astroturf and paint the cement floor! Thanks for the inspiration.

Looks great- we looked at a house once that had a similar sunroom area- except it had a great brick divider (half wall size) through it making one side about 75% of the room, and the other 25%. I still don’t know what the purpose was of the divider.

4. Rebekah says

Looks splendid! I like your big clock, too.
    And, I thought you painted that little book shelf green? Maybe you had two, though. I hope you painted it orange for your mini update… orange would match your little orange tree. :)

5. Holly says

L.O.V.E. the way this turned out! Fab job as usual. And while I do love a natural brick house (my Dad’s a lifelong brick mason and I work for the family company), I think painted brick is gorgeous – especially that tan color! And then when the paint starts flaking off a little you get that nice distressed look… Love it :) And while (some) green mold would only add to the charm (maybe it could be mistaken as moss?!), I don’t think you’d want that growing on your house!

6. Christin says

The wall looks great!
    This may be a dumb question, but how cold does it get in Virginia? I live in Chicago so I’m used to -17 degrees on cold days in the winter and can’t imagine having a room that’s not temperature controlled!

7. Cathy says

love it! It really adds to the room, while the brick before felt like a bit of a distraction. Great job!

8. Beth says

OMG that looks awesome y’all! I love it!
    It really makes it look a lot more cozy in there. I was just in older home this past weekend where they did the same thing- and on the same color! Craziness.

Great Job. I’m so excited to see what else y’all have in store for us. Congrats on the new name too- it’s MUCH more fitting :)

Fantastic! You guys have such an easy going style — I love it! Is that tree in the corner fruit bearing? Edible or just decorative?

10. Angela says

It looks great. I may have missed a previous post about this but it looks like you painted your dog as well.