Fresh Fruit: Making Cute Decoupaged Vases & Planters

Remember when we House Crashed Katie over at Bower Power? Well we brought her a set of botanicals from our shop as a token of our appreciation, and she ended up ripping a few pages out of her Hooker Book (an old book of fruit and botanical drawings that she found at Goodwill) and sending them home with us in return. Isn’t she sweet? And now that we’ve finally gotten around to a little project with our lovely courtesy-of-Katie botanicals, we’re here to share the goods.

We decided we had framed art aplenty around here, and immediately started to brainstorm other ways to use the prints. Thinking outside the frame if you will. My love of white ceramics came into play when I was peering into our Decor Store at a few white ceramic cups and thought: wouldn’t they look cute with a bit of fruit on the front? I grabbed the two ceramic containers from the cabinet and found the third one full of ivy in our bedroom windowsill. Here they are before “Project Produce.”

west-elm-ceramic-planters-before-project

And here are our torn out Hooker Book pages courtesy of Katie before the ol’ snip fest. We just cut out some of the smaller fruit drawings…

botanicals-from-hooker-book-cut-outs-project

… and found some old Mod Podge from Michael’s in my craft drawer. Then I grabbed a small paint brush and coated each fruity cutout with a bit of Mod Podge and stuck them to each ceramic cup for a cheerful and fresh little finished product (note: when using Mod Podge you can coat the back of the thing-to-be-stuck and then coat the front of it once it’s in place for a more durable “seal” that’s long-lasting and invisible).

fruit-planters-cups-pots-ceramic

We also love how versatile the little cups really are. They can hold flowers, office supplies, plants, and more. Don’t they look cute all lined up by the window?

modge-podge-botanicals-fruit-planter-pot-project-tutorial

We loved them en masse, so they actually ended up on my desk where the pencils and eye glasses come in handy all the time. And the ivy provides fresh clean air for me as I blog the day away. Total project cost: $0.00. Sweet.

And since there were also larger botanicals that remained, we decided to decoupage two larger drawings onto small dessert plates that can be hung on the wall or even leaned on the floating shelves in the dining room for a bit of sweet food-related fun. Here they are before Mod Podge. Isn’t it amazing what an old Goodwill book can become?

modge-podge-plate-project

How about you guys. Have you whipped up any botanical masterpieces of your own as of late? Scored anything amazing at Goodwill? Repurposed something you had around the house in a new way? Do tell.

Comments

1. LauraC says

They look fabulous! But could you give us ignorant people a simple step-by-step as to how to actually do it (type of glue, brush, ect)? We’d be so grateful, pretty please!

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Laura C,

I just added a bit more step by step detail to the post (which you can also check out right here):

We just cut out some of the smaller fruit drawings and found some old Modge Podge from Michael’s in my craft drawer. Then I grabbed a small paint brush and coated each fruity cutout with a bit of Modge Podge and stuck them to each ceramic cup for a cheerful and fresh little finished product (note: when using Modge Podge you can coat the back of the thing-to-be-stuck and then coat the front of it once it’s in place for a more durable “seal” that’s long-lasting and invisible).

It’s such an easy project. Hope it helps!

oh my gosh – you kids are too cute!!!
    i love love love logging on to your site daily to see what new project(s) you have cooked up.
    these are adorable. and i am constantly searching thrift stores for cool finds like that book. one day i will send you guys some pics of my “purely thrift store finds” casa :)
    keep up the inspiration – i love you guys!

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey JG2Be,

They’re actually small planters from West Elm that we grabbed a few months ago (they have drainage holes and everything). Hope it helps!

3. Megan S says

Ooh! The little cups remind me of something I just picked up this weekend (on sale!) at West Elm. Maybe I need to go get 2 more because I have a jar of Modge Podge just waiting for some attention. Fun idea and thanks for sharing!

Cute idea! The closest thing I would come to doing something like this is cutting some out and mounting them in frames. But I love the look of the illustrated fruit.

You can modge podge anything. :) I used to make custom picture frames by sticking words cut out of magazines onto wooden frames. (my ex boyfriend’s had all lovey dovey words and my best friend’s had all friendship/funny words). I’m actually in the middle of writing up a post on modge podge that I’ll have posted by the end of the week!

6. Jen Z. says

Love what you did. Very cute!

For our Family Room I plan on taking pictures I have taken on our Honeymoon (Hawaii), pictures I have taken on beaches on Long Island & pictures of flowers & trees I have taken in our own backyard and put them into white frames. Some I might make Sepia or B&W even and make some in color for a pop of color in the room.

I bought mirrors last year at Bed Bath & Behind on sale and with 20% off coupons of course and painted them chocolate brown to go in our DR. They were white framed with gold in the middle. I painted them cholocate brown. So now four of them hang in my DR.

I also want to repurpose an old piece of furniture that was handed down to me from my Grandma. It’s a dark brown right now, but I want to make it white one day. ;-)

Those are so cute! I’m always a bit scared by the idea of decoupage (will it look too crafty/homemade?, can I screw this up? etc.) but you guys definitely made it look easy and the results look fantastic!