Love What You Love

Happy hump-day afternoon, y’all! I made you guys a little something. I realized that while many of our posts are tutorials or projects or planning or shopping related (how we built this, what fill-in-the-blank we found on craigslist, how we painted that, etc) only around 2% of them have touched on the heart of the whole DIY thing: just doing you and having the faith/courage/conviction/confidence to go for it when it comes to creating a home that you love.

So if you’re feeling stuck or second guessing yourself (goodness knows we do that!) these simple words from people far wiser than ourselves might be all that you need to pull the cord and go for it. Because if you’re not all in when it comes to making your house your own, well, there probably won’t be anyone else who can swoop in and save you.

I thought making these quotes into free printables for you guys would be fun (using instagram photos we’ve snapped as the background). So feel free to print ’em out and tack them up on your bulletin board or frame one on your wall for a nice daily reminder to go nuts making your house feel like you and no one else. That’s my wish for everyone on this little DIY journey. Not to have a house that everyone loves (how is that even possible?) but to create a home that you’re completely crazy about – whatever that might look like. Note: This one wasn’t said by this B.B. it was this one.

As for how to get to the higher res. printables, just click any of the images in this post and a 5 x 5″ printable should pop up in a new window that you can right-click to download or drag onto your desktop. I went with 5 x 5″ since that’s the size of the prints we had over our sofa in the last house – and they look awesome with a fabric background and the white mat that comes with each of these $19 Ribba frames from Ikea.

I thought I’d toss this one in for any bloggers, writers, or authors-of-Facebook-poetry who might need a reminder to hang over their computer:

And just because a Marshall song can always be tied in (at least in my world), here ya go.

Get pumped y’all. Pace around your house in a hoodie and make it the coolest frigging place you’ve ever seen.

Psst- Have you heard his new song? There’s not a clean version yet, so this is the uncensored one. I’m loving the Beastie Boy samples. Also, Dexter. Holy cow, it’s getting so good I can’t stand it.

1. Ashley says

Love the timely post! I made some bad, first-timer decisions when we bought our house 3 years ago, and that has instilled a fear of making any further decisions. I’m really trying to get over that though, since we still have a lot of renovating to do! And we haven’t even touched decorating since I can’t commit to a layout. Hopefully these words will motivate me to finally get moving on that and loving my house!

There’s an extra space in front of the last line in the first one :)

an editor who can’t help it and who has randomly been commenting a lot lately

3. Marcie says

I never comment, but I’m a long time follower! This post really touched my heart, especially the Alder quote.

I recently painted my front door yellow and have had friends and family question my decision-I try to act like it doesn’t bother me but my feelings always get hurt.
    At the end of the day I LOVE IT and it make me smile when I come home. I suppose that’s all that really matter

thanks for this :)

• Tessa says

I painted our shed door bright turquoise. My husband’s friend made a negative comment about it… but I love it. And I wouldn’t consider him much of a tastemaker, anyway. It makes me smile, just like you! Who know doors were day brighteners?

ahhhh I cancelled my showtime subscription before I remembered i’m still watching dexter. i’ll probably just get the whole season once theyre all done and I can watch 12 episodes in 10 hours :) hahah that’s how I roll.

Love this!! As a blogger I love the Margaret Atwood one. Thanks for making and sharing these.
    OK now onto Dexter..OMG!!I’m all caught up and will try not do give any spoilers but I’ve been calling an all death finale. Seriously, I can’t see it end any other way! My husband think I’m crazy. I say it every week…”All death finale!!” I also watched an interview with the actress who plays Vogul and she said Dexter fans will be “bereaved” with the ending. One can only assume.
    PS I also love the new Eminem song and I’ve had a mad crush on him since 1999. I was excited after I got married my initial became M&M :) :)

Sometimes you need to see just the right quotes…these are those :) Also, don’t you just love Jonathan Adler?? Gah, I feel like he GETS me!

Thanks for this, Sherry. As a new can be really discouraging sometimes seeing how fantastic other homes look, and how wonderful it all seems to come together. It’s hard to remember that it all takes time, and as long as you’re faithful to your tastes and creating a home worth loving…it doesn’t get better than that.

Thank you!

8. Stephanie says

Love this post, thanks so much for it and all you do! Also, I am a big fan of Dexter and am torn between my impatience for the next episode and my sadness that this last season is going too quickly and I will have no more Dexter in my life. #dexteraddiction #cantthisshowlastforever?

9. Jess says

This post comes at the most apt time for me! Huge Thank you.

After working hard for years all that me and hubby could afford was a small 50 year old ranch home in Jersey.

What’s worse is that back in March when a relative found out that I am searching for a home, they got jealous and bought a huge McMansion. They threw a house warming party past weekend. I came to my apartment feeling like a looser and all nervous about what will all those people think of my old tiny home. I will remind myself to Love what I love.

• Sandra T says

Jess, I feel your pain. Try to remember that the person you speak of is now in BIG debt. And you are not. Believe me, that is the better way to live your life! And sleep well at night.

Sandra, owner of 1970’s house in NJ

10. Judy CS says

While, I already loved your blog, you just made love you that much more with your declared love for Eminem…

Made my day!!!