Love What You Love

Happy hump-day afternoon, y’all! I made you guys a little something. I realized that while many of our posts are tutorials or projects or planning or shopping related (how we built this, what fill-in-the-blank we found on craigslist, how we painted that, etc) only around 2% of them have touched on the heart of the whole DIY thing: just doing you and having the faith/courage/conviction/confidence to go for it when it comes to creating a home that you love.

So if you’re feeling stuck or second guessing yourself (goodness knows we do that!) these simple words from people far wiser than ourselves might be all that you need to pull the cord and go for it. Because if you’re not all in when it comes to making your house your own, well, there probably won’t be anyone else who can swoop in and save you.

I thought making these quotes into free printables for you guys would be fun (using instagram photos we’ve snapped as the background). So feel free to print ’em out and tack them up on your bulletin board or frame one on your wall for a nice daily reminder to go nuts making your house feel like you and no one else. That’s my wish for everyone on this little DIY journey. Not to have a house that everyone loves (how is that even possible?) but to create a home that you’re completely crazy about – whatever that might look like. Note: This one wasn’t said by this B.B. it was this one.

As for how to get to the higher res. printables, just click any of the images in this post and a 5 x 5″ printable should pop up in a new window that you can right-click to download or drag onto your desktop. I went with 5 x 5″ since that’s the size of the prints we had over our sofa in the last house – and they look awesome with a fabric background and the white mat that comes with each of these $19 Ribba frames from Ikea.

I thought I’d toss this one in for any bloggers, writers, or authors-of-Facebook-poetry who might need a reminder to hang over their computer:

And just because a Marshall song can always be tied in (at least in my world), here ya go.

Get pumped y’all. Pace around your house in a hoodie and make it the coolest frigging place you’ve ever seen.

Psst- Have you heard his new song? There’s not a clean version yet, so this is the uncensored one. I’m loving the Beastie Boy samples. Also, Dexter. Holy cow, it’s getting so good I can’t stand it.

Comments

1. lauren says

Just what I needed to get inspired for this long Labor Day weekend. We will be paining our (first) nursery for our little boy due in Dec. YAY! I’ve already got colors picked out and just need to purchase primer! I’m ready to go!!

Thanks Sherry!

2. Sarah says

Haha good thing you clarified… I read the quote first and was all “a Baldwin brother said that? Really? Hmmm”

• Juanita says

ya, thanks for clarifying! i was thinking… “ummm…do i really want a quote from one of the baldwin bro’s.” lol

I feel like the last shot will be him on his boat, speeding off into the sunset… (I kept thinking he’d die when the season started but now I’m in denial I think).

xo

3. Martha says

Thanks, I work for a college newspaper and I have one of the printables on my office door. : )

4. Tyra says

We don’t have show time so we are always a season behind in dexter (waiting for the DVDs to get to Netflix), but you just made me really wish we had it! Dying to watch the final season!

5. Maddie says

LOVE these and love the overall message. Printing the pencil one for my desk asap. Thanks for the pep talk and inspiration :)

Your timing is right on. I’m at that place right now where I think I’ve made a decisions but then everyone’s “helpful” cautions just put me into analysis paralysis.

Sometimes it’s a fine line from what maintains the selling value of the house and designing for an unknown person who may buy your how someday.

• Kathy says

Laurie, I just want to say you are RIGHT ON with that last part. The whole thing, actually, I often back myself into indecision-corner, worrying if whatever we’re doing is really going to “pay off” in the future – I need to get over it! (unless it’s a huge huge huge bucket of money we’ll be spending)

7. Elise says

What I’m loving right now is THIS POST! :D Hugs all around, guys, and thanks for the printables. That last one is really resonating with me this afternoon.

8. Kelsey says

Great reminders! Also, just a heads up that in my RSS reader the post cuts off just before the video. I figure it’s just some wonky formatting.

This is perfect! I’m stealing these quotes and putting them on my blog. I’ve been collecting quotes like this, for the past week because I’ve seen so much design snobbery on blogs lately that it had me feeling a little down for not loving everything they said I had to love to be a REAL designer.

I try to always tell people there are NO rules to decorating. Really. Just some good guidelines, but to do what they love.

Thank you!