You Can’t Take It With You… Or Can You?

As exciting as it has been to move into this new house, it was certainly sad to say goodbye to our old house and leave behind all of the parts (and projects!) that we couldn’t take with us. The penny tile backsplash. The deck. The fireplace. Wait, scratch that last one.

Let’s zoom in a bit closer on that little item sitting on the mantel. Well, what do we have here?

That, my friends, is an amazing miniature replica of our fireplace. Miniature as in completely portable and yes-it-totally-came-with-us-to-the-new-house. It’s the creation of Lisa Harrold, a recent fine arts graduate in the UK who specializes in miniatures. She emailed us to say that as a fun exercise to keep her skills fresh, she decided to recreate our fireplace – only smaller. Much smaller.

Since it wasn’t of much use to her after it was done, she asked if she could send it to us as a housewarming gift, and once we convinced her to let us pay her for it and the shipping, it immediately became one of our favorite accessories in our new house. It doesn’t have a final resting spot quite yet (it’s a bit too big/delicate for Clara’s dollhouse) although it might end up on the living room built-ins. These photos are more just my (failed) attempt to photograph the amazing detail that Lisa put into it. They don’t come close to doing it justice.

If the darn thing weren’t so awesome, I’d totally film a monster movie where Burger destroys it Godzilla style. Although that would also require Burger working on his destructive monster face. Right now he’s mainly giving me “confused” and “when can I eat the treat you hid behind this tiny fireplace?”

Yep, still just wants that treat. Guess the mini-fireplace is safe from annihilation for now.

Thanks again to Lisa for the awesome and meaningful mini fireplace. We’re so touched to have such a tangible memento of the love that we put into that house, and we thought sharing the goods might even inspire someone else out there to take something they love with them (Sherry wants to buy them as gifts for everyone we know). We may just have to dig up something from our first house that we can hire her to miniaturize. Sherry thinks the laundry nook would be cute. Or maybe we should go with the living room fireplace, to keep with the theme. You know we love a collection…

Comments

Lisa is one talented lady! I’m jealous!
    And I think keeping in with a fireplace theme would be really cool! How many people do you know has something like that?!

2. Lindsey says

I think it would be fantastic to put it in your “sentimental” art gallery in a shadow box. The craftsmanship is very lovely.

3. Annelies says

When you see the fire place again it amazes me how you are such crafts people. You did an amazing job John & Sherry! And so did Lisa !

4. Thais Bessa says

So cute! I had a look at her website and she has miniatures of houses. Why not have one of your first and second houses as a whole? Not dollhouse size, but just miniature. It would complement your frame with all the keys!

Something about the fireplace has me thinking of Christmas. Perhaps Olivia & family could hang their stockings from it, or roast marshmallows in front of it- carefully of course.

So cool, and I can totally see why you’d be sad to leave that fireplace! As my husband and I are first time home shopping, I think of that fireplace every time I see one in need of some love! Can’t wait to see what you do at the new house.

7. Stephanie says

I am completely in favor of starting a miniature fireplace collection. Also, I think “Photographed with Chihuahua for Scale” should be a new standard for the product photography industry.

8. Sarah says

How cool is that?!

Have another one from your first house and make bookends! Well, it wouldn’t be the weighted part, unless you attach it to a brick or stone or something heavy. Either way, such a sweet gift!

9. Linda says

That is incredible! And I say that as someone who has visited the Art Institute of Chicago’s Thorne Miniature rooms several times. That is one talented artist! And what a touching gift/purchase. And, Sherry and John, next time you’re in Chicago, I think you’d enjoy the Art Institute (and the Thorne collection!)