Reader Redesign: Move Over Sister

Cindy had fun making a room for her daughter Sarah, but then plans changed and she had to make a quick adjustment. We loved that she made a mood board to keep herself on track, and hunted things that she loved until she found some great deals. Here’s her letter:

Hello John & Sherry! I want to share the latest update in our home. In the beginning of the year we decided to let our kids have their own room. Around March of last year this room became our little girl’s bedroom…

A couple months after finishing this room we found out we were expecting #3 and since our home is a three bedroom home that meant the baby had to share a room with one of his siblings. Since my daughter is the youngest we chose to re-do her room once again so that she can share with her baby brother, Levi. It was a little hard trying to design a shared nursery for both a baby boy and a toddler girl, but I came up with this design board

I pretty much stuck to it and here is the room now…

I fell in love with this giraffe as I was browsing through nurseries on pinterest. I looked to see how much they were and almost didn’t end up getting it because it was a bit too pricey for me but then I found this one on Amazon here for half the price! It’s one of the first things I purchased for this room.

One of my favorite parts of this room is the mobile. It is the inspiration for this nursery..

It’s crazy how much this room has changed in just one year! I tried to re-use many of the items I had purchased for the first makeover but sadly had to take all of the pink away and store it. My princess still LOVES her room though and she is very excited to be sharing it with her little brother! – Cindy

Looks like a pretty rocking shared room to us. It’s awesome how just a few tweaks gave it a fresh new life (without even painting the walls!). If you want to see more photos of Cindy’s makeover, check out her blog. She also has a full source list outlined here. Thanks for sharing Cindy!

Psst- Looking to make a mood board yourself? We make ours in Adobe Photoshop (after bringing a bunch of our favorite items into Photoshop, we size ‘em, cut them out, and add some numbers) but if you don’t have access to Photoshop, we’ve heard great things about OlioBoard, Polyvore and MyDeco so you might want to check those out.

Comments

WOW. This room is perfect. I am going to half to remember it when I start adding little ones.

I can’t wait to see what you and John do for you next bean’s room down the road.

I hope it includes a sheep mobile! Adorable.

2. Kym V. says

Another good option for creating mood boards is Picasa. They have a feature that let’s you pull a bunch of images you have saved and rotate, size and layer them. That’s how I make mine now :-)

3. Julia @ Cuckoo4Design says

Love this! Can you believe that I found a giraffe just like this one on craigslist a while back and didn’t buy it? I could still kick myself!!!

So adorable, Cindy! We have that giraffe as well – our little guy loves him! We call the giraffe Rowdy, after one of our favorite shows, Scrubs. :)

• Kristen S. says

Agreed – This one does it well. Playful yet uncluttered – nice and mod – sleek too!

5. Kim says

You know those male babies and their hate for pink. ;)

It’s always fun to redecorate, but I don’t think the removal of any and all pink was necessary. (Says the mom of a little brother who loves Ariel and princesses and the occasional dress-up as Snow White right along with Iron Man, Spiderman, riding bikes and playing in his tree house.)

However, I think pink and black go well together too.

6. qs777 says

Such a sweet room!

I get how (literally) to make a mood board but how do you do it? Do you just pick a bunch of things that you like and try to put them together or are you picking a color first and then only picking things within that color framework? I hope that makes sense. I guess the problem I have is that I like so many things it is too difficult to pare them down. I swear I need a mansion so I can have a room for each!

I think the way I do it is usually by starting with something I love (ex: a fabric or rug or curtain idea – or even a plush giraffe). Then I open things in a lot of windows and sort of stare at them together and drag them into the board to see how they work together. It’s fun to switch things in and out and it helps me see if I need more texture or color from sort of a global view.

xo

7. Mandy S. says

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting the link to the giraffe!!! I am snapping one of those up right now!

I used to worry about kids sharing rooms but then I found out my husband shared a room with all three of his sibling at one point. Now I look forward to the day when my little girl gets to share her room with her baby sister. I know they will have loads of fun together.

Cindy,

Superbly well done!

We have the challenge of living in a 2-bedroom place with 2 (sometimes) children who share a room. My hub’s teen son from his first marriage and our infant daughter share a room when his son is with us.

Since the room is currently under pre-moving state, no pics. We did find a few things that worked for us:

*a loft bed for the teen (it gives him his own “space” and privacy)

*running a power strip up to the loft bed for all of the teen’s electronics (with velcro strips to a loft bed pole to keep them out of the way)

*1 dresser and the glider hang out under the loft bed

*a storage ottoman keeps everything sane and provides extra seating- plus it flips over for a solid surface when playing chess or cribbage

Oh, and this room is maybe 9×9.

Love this shared room! Quick question for you guys: Which version of Adobe Photoshop do you use/like best? Do you find it fairly user-friendly? I’m thinking of buying it, but not sure which to purchase. Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

We have Photoshop version 12.1 x 64 and we like it! I think you can get Elements to save money if you won’t use as many of the filters/tools, though. Hope it helps!

xo

11. LauraC says

LOVE that you featured a boy/girl room!!! I’ve probably mentioned before that our son and daughter share a room (3yrs, 5 years), and when we split them up, in a couple years when Jonathan starts school, I will be so sad. They love it too. I reduced the amount of pink in the room when Jonathan was born, but didn’t take all of it. We use lots of greens, blues, reds, yellows and oranges. As mentioned several times upthread they sleep just fine. We have been known to separate them if they talk too much or for naps/rest. We just put our daughter across the hall in our bed, works great.