Reader Redesign: Move Over Sister

Cindy had fun making a room for her daughter Sarah, but then plans changed and she had to make a quick adjustment. We loved that she made a mood board to keep herself on track, and hunted things that she loved until she found some great deals. Here’s her letter:

Hello John & Sherry! I want to share the latest update in our home. In the beginning of the year we decided to let our kids have their own room. Around March of last year this room became our little girl’s bedroom…

A couple months after finishing this room we found out we were expecting #3 and since our home is a three bedroom home that meant the baby had to share a room with one of his siblings. Since my daughter is the youngest we chose to re-do her room once again so that she can share with her baby brother, Levi. It was a little hard trying to design a shared nursery for both a baby boy and a toddler girl, but I came up with this design board

I pretty much stuck to it and here is the room now…

I fell in love with this giraffe as I was browsing through nurseries on pinterest. I looked to see how much they were and almost didn’t end up getting it because it was a bit too pricey for me but then I found this one on Amazon here for half the price! It’s one of the first things I purchased for this room.

One of my favorite parts of this room is the mobile. It is the inspiration for this nursery..

It’s crazy how much this room has changed in just one year! I tried to re-use many of the items I had purchased for the first makeover but sadly had to take all of the pink away and store it. My princess still LOVES her room though and she is very excited to be sharing it with her little brother! – Cindy

Looks like a pretty rocking shared room to us. It’s awesome how just a few tweaks gave it a fresh new life (without even painting the walls!). If you want to see more photos of Cindy’s makeover, check out her blog. She also has a full source list outlined here. Thanks for sharing Cindy!

Psst- Looking to make a mood board yourself? We make ours in Adobe Photoshop (after bringing a bunch of our favorite items into Photoshop, we size ‘em, cut them out, and add some numbers) but if you don’t have access to Photoshop, we’ve heard great things about OlioBoard, Polyvore and MyDeco so you might want to check those out.

Comments

1. Sarah says

How do you and others create the design/mood boards? Is it a certain app or program?

Good question! We use photoshop, but if you check out our FAQ page we link to other free sites that we hear are awesome for making them. I’ve just updated the post with that info as a p.s. for anyone else who’s wondering :)

xo

I thought I would share a little trick I tried. I currently don’t have photoshop – though I would love to get my hands on it ;) – so I thought I would find another solution.
      I remembered Microsoft years ago had a program called Publisher. I searched for it, but came up a little empty handed, that was until I realised that Microsoft had incorporated it into the newer versions of Word. It takes time getting to know it, but it works. It can remove background (far from the sleek looking results in photoshop, but gets the job done), cut, turn, layer etc. I have myself used it for all the moodboard a on my blog, so if you have a newer version of word (2007->, I think :/) it’s just a chance to get to know your Word a bit better :)

2. Julie says

This is perfect because I’m planning a shared girl/boy nursery right now. My daughter is sad to be losing the dream of a pink room but excited to be a big sister, too!

3. V says

confused why she would combine a nursery with a little girl’s room. I LOVE IT visually, but logisitcally won’t the baby keep the toddler up? Seems like it would be more logical to have the two existing children share a room, and have a nursery on its’ own. Just my two cents. gorgeous room though, and love the design.

I was always worried about that too, but my cousin did the same thing with their children and it worked out really well. The toddler comforted the baby when he moved from his parent’s room to the crib in the shared room. They talk each other to sleep when one or both are scared or sad. It’s actually kind of sweet and has the potential to foster a really special sibling relationship!

• Hanna says

Ours shared a room and I was worrie about the same thing. It happened sometimes (and sometimes we would come into the room and find the baby buried in stuffed animals that the toddler hucked into her bed to keep her quiet), but for the most part it worked out. Kids are pretty adaptable and whatever lifestyle you have, or whatever accomodations you have, is just “normal” to them. Plus, a few nights of revoking TV privleges and the toddler was very serious about going right to sleep. :)

I got the same question on my blog when I revealed the nursery. Levi (our baby) is sleeping in our room and has been sleeping with us since he’s been born in a pack n play until he sleeps a little more through the night then I will be transitioning him into his crib. We did the same with our other two kiddos and it worked out perfectly. I totally understand your question though! :)

• Leah Concepcion says

That’s what I thought too! I have a 2-month old colicky daughter and can’t imagine a crying baby sharing a room with a toddler. But I guess, every family is different and here’s to hoping that their new bundle of joy won’t be colicky.

4. Stefanie says

I’m sad that she didn’t think she could keep pops of the pink in the room with the addition of a boy to the space. The room still turned out awesome but it feels a little cold for a toddler/infant shared space.

• Angela says

Stefanie, I tend to agree with you here. The pops of pink in the tissue poufs really warmed up the space. It would be okay to make one side of the room decidedly girl and the other side more boy while still making the overall theme of the room cohesive. But it is still a darling room.

• Angie says

Agreed! Pink has only been a “girls” color since the 50’s and I’m frankly over the girls vs boy color thing. I’d like to be able to find toys that are so gender specific, for example. So, I think keeping some pops of pink in a shared room is totally appropriate! Many little boys (including my own) love pink! We should not be afraid of that. This is not a critique of the room (which is lovely) or the designer… just of our society, I guess! :)

5. Holly says

Cute room! Though a little voice inside has me wondering why she couldn’t keep the pink with a new baby boy! Gender norms/stereotypes are silly. :)

• Rose says

I agree! For one thing, pink and yellow in the right shades don’t clash with each other, and for another, the toddler who likes pink could actually appreciate it while the baby couldn’t care less and is only seeing a lot of white now. Oh well. To each his/her own!

• IndyViv says

I am with you! I found it ridiculous to imagine that a mostly colorblind newborn is already gender insecure, and demanding that pink be vanquished from its presence! I love both rooms, but the ideology behind them frightens me- princess? In 2013? Really?

• terryn says

I came to post the same thing, so I’m happy to see others agree! I especially feel this way when I see it come from people who are all about the colour blue for girls (masculine things are enjoyed by everyone – yet feminine things are only fit for girls.) Very nice makeover though :)

6. Nicole says

I agree with V. This room is adorable, but it seems like the little girl would never get any sleep! Are the parents maybe keeping the baby in their bedroom as a newborn and then moving once a sleep schedule is established?

• Tammy says

I thought the same thing. Some pink would be cute on the girl’s side of the room, like on her bed. WAlso, think the ceiling decorations from the first remodel would look really cute over her bed and would go well without making the room too girly, but yet would give the little girl her own space to be just that- girly! =)

I love the color combos and the patterns! Very similar to our son and daughter’s shared bedroom. Great job!

Oh wow! THANKS SO MUCH for the feature! You guys just totally made my week so much better!! (not having the best week due to two of my kiddos being sick).

9. Elizabeth says

I love the room, but after seeing the “before” I wish some pink had stayed! It does look like the color palatte could easily expand to put some pink/blue in the room too if she wanted.

Agree with previous posters! No need to take a way the pink! Did you know that in the beginning of the 20th century, pink was actually considered a better color for boys than girls?

“For example, a June 1918 article from the trade publication Earnshaw’s Infants’ Department said, “The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.”

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/When-Did-Girls-Start-Wearing-Pink.html

• Danielle says

Agreed! It’s 2013 ya’ll! Boys can wear and sleep and, in general, totally rock pink, purple, and any other color they like. No reason to take away something your little girl loved, when your little boy could have loved it too.

• Dana says

I don’t know Cindy, but I feel so bad for her. All these negative comments!!I don’t get why people are making such a big deal that she removed the pink. I think it’s prettier with the yellow and grey!! Maybe she just changed her mind about the color scheme! It is house after all!!!