Let’s Get A Little Spring Mojo Up In Here

First of all, I’m sending a huge wet internet kiss (yup, you’ll need to wipe your mouth afterwards) to everyone for their awesome excitement and kind words about yesterday’s announcement. We’re freakishly giddy to share this new chapter of our lives with you guys. There may have been misty eyes going on…

Speaking of sniffling, can you smell that smell? It’s spring Pinterest Challenge time (not sponsored by Pinterest or anyone else, just dreamed up by Katie Bower to make us stop pinning and start doing). The whole thing started nearly two years ago when Katie called me to say that she thought we should challenge ourselves to make one thing each season that’s inspired by all the fun stuff we’ve pinned (and call it… wait for it… The Pinterest Challenge). So break out your painting flip-flops (am I the only person who has those?) and let’s get this DIY party started.

The only rule is to do your own personal take on something inspirational that you’ve pinned (and link back to the original creator of the project that inspired you, be it a company like Anthropologie or a personal blog that got your wheels a turning). We especially love to pin things from sites that have “Pin It” buttons since it indicates that they enjoy popping up on Pinterest. The project can be anything: big or small; decor or sewing or cooking related – or beyond!

The first time around John and I made a clothespin light, the next time I tackled homemade ornaments, then I faced my sewing demons and made Clara a beanbag pouf, next I tried my hand at homemade art, then we built a leaning chalkboard, and last time we added some hallway board & batten. And this time around since my allergies are awesomely active spring has sprung, we thought we’d tackle something we’ve had on our to-do list for over a year: window boxes.

We think a few front window boxes will be the final touch to add some dimension and soft greenery to our long boxy ranch. Especially because now that our house is on the market (for all of one day, haha!) they’ll hopefully attract people more than whipping up some Pinteresty art or a furniture makeover would this time around (we’ll save those projects for the new place).

I’ve actually pinned two window-box related pics, this picture just for the eye candy of it (at $90+ bucks per box they’re purely for inspiration) and this tutorial for making them (which we might do if we can’t find ready-made ones in our price range).

We’ve already started hunting for stuff, so it’s on like Donkey Kong. Oh and you’re probably wondering who else is Pinterest Challenging along with me and K-Bo. Well, we thought it would be fun to ask different folks to “guest host” with us each time (both of whom have done something fun in the previous challenge), so we’re thrilled to have:

So here’s the part where I smile at you with red itchy eyes and pollen in my hair and humbly invite you to join in on the spring fun by doing your own spin on something you pin. We’ll reconvene next Wednesday morning (the 8th) to share our projects (you can check out all the amazing linked-up projects from past challenges here, here, here, here, and here). So just drop in next Wednesday to submit a link to your project and to see what we whipped up. In the meantime, do you have any idea what you’ll tackle this time? Is it food, craft, sewing, painting, or furniture related? Perhaps a little outdoor action is on the agenda? Wait a minute, that sounds like it involves removing your clothes…

Comments

Oh FUN! I think I’ll actually participate in this one. I better get scrambling, so much to do already before we leave for the summer. This will be a last fun final challenge.

I still can’t believe the HOUSE news!! :) Awesome stuff though! :)

2. Brandy says

I’m so happy to see the Pinterest challenge…I love looking through the projects! So was yesterday a top comment post for you guys…over 2600?!?! Wow-za!

3. Lisa E says

Yes, I have several projects started, finished yet not hung, or haven’t even begun! This will give me the push I need. Thanx for all that you do in spite of your crazy about to get even crazier schedule!

4. Alex says

Ooh, my neighbor has window boxes that I’m totally envious of. They’re up on stilts, not attached to the house, and in the spring and summer she trains vines up the legs. And in the winter she puts evergreen branches in them. So pretty! Looking forward to seeing yours!!

(Also, if your allergies are really getting to you, try a spoonful of LOCAL honey each day. It’s very helpful. Obviously, if it’s not local, it might still be yummy but probably won’t do much for the specific allergens in your area.)

5. Kimberly says

Excited to see the results of the challenge, but I really wanted to tell you that I also have painting flip flops. They are the $2 kind from Old Navy. No worries if they get ruined and easy to slip off if I need to step away from my painting project.

6. Julie says

NOOO today is not a good day for the pinterest challenge post! I’m dying for more details about the house!!!! :-)

• Karen F says

yes!!!!!! can’t wait, Sherry!

also, maybe it’s just me, but I feel like you guys JUST did the board and batten – was that really the winter Pinterest challenge??? time flies!

• Alissa says

I feel like I should have known as I think there were references during the board-and-batten and crown molding posts about adding value and selling points in a house. But instead I was completely blindsided and way more emotional than I should be about someone I’ve never met buying/selling a house. :) Now that I’ve sat on it for 24 hours, though, I’m totally on board. Bring on the wallpaper stripping!!!

• Jennifer says

Alissa, I am sure that John and Sherry can sleep now that they know that you are on board with their decision to move. Jeez……

7. Penny Lynn says

We must be “lucky” in Va Beach………….it’s just pouring rain so the pollen is thwarted for now, haha!! We are building a backyard pergola for our Pinterest challenge, I have been pinning tutorials like crazy!!!

I’m so jealous of your new house despite the sweet wallpaper. I absolutely LOVE what I’ve seen so far especially the exterior. I can’t wait to see more!

8. Katie says

Awww… bummed that there was no cute video this time around announcing the challenge! That’s one of my favorite parts :)

9. Erin says

AHAHA! Yes, painting flip flops! I also have my trusty pair of painting yoga pant and painting glasses. Last spring when we painted every room in our house, I had an eye infection which had me wearing my glasses full time. Goodbye tortoise frames, Hello paint splatter frames! A year later I am still chipping it off.

Speaking of Pinterest challenge – I challenged myself to make a new recipe from Pinterest each night. Two nights down and successful so far.

Congrats on your new home! I can’t wait to follow your journey!