Reader Redesign: A Layered Living Room

When Katie sent us pictures of her living room makeover, we couldn’t get over the difference between the before and the after. Here’s her letter:

Hi guys! I just wanted to share my living room redesign with you. When we first laid eyes on our house, the living room (well the whole house) was definitely not our style.

So among a few other major events since we moved (like having baby boy #3 last summer) it felt great to paint the room, switch out the lighting, and find some great pieces via Craigslist and garage sales.

The drapes are from [my son] Isaac’s nursery with some pom pom trim added.

I’m also loving my new canvas (from Surface View). But now I’m thinking my walls should be dark. What do you think?? Navy blue, charcoal gray, aubergine, chocolate? Uh oh, gotta go the hubs is rolling his eyes at me! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!! – Katie

Thanks for sharing it with us, Katie! I should point that she also tells a great story about saving a bunch of money when it came to getting that big piece of carpet for the room, which you can read over on her blog. And as for the favorite-part game, mine is the graphic throw on the sofa and that skull art. Meanwhile Sherry loves the sconces, that great sofa, and – predictably – the egg chair.

Oh and what color’s your vote for the wall? Thought it would be fun to take an informal poll.

Comments

• Emily says

Yeah, me too. I NEED that Moroccan chandelier!

I must be in the minority, I like the walls the way they are.

1. Erin says

I’m feeling the charcoal grey but a chartreuse or aubergine might be fun if they are looking for a pop of serious color!

2. Laura says

I’m thinking a really light blue / gray that would tie in to the pops of navy but still keep it pretty light and open.

3. Shannon says

OMG I’m OBSESSED with that skull art!!! and, i’m going through a light and airy phase, so i’m digging the light walls.

Believe me Shannon, you are not the only one, i spent the weekend looking for something similar, im not able to find anything slightly close, if i type light skull canvas etc on google i still get a range of dark options :(
      … i must have it!

4. Briana says

I’m thinking a dark grey on the blue side would be rockin’ on their walls. I looooove that throw, too!

5. erica says

This looks so good. I’d love to chill out in that room! :)

I normally don’t really like ‘accent walls’ but I’m craving a white room with one deep navy wall – just like 2/3 of the way up and the top third white like the rest of the room. With kind of minimal style and a few color pops. I must have seen it on pinterest or something – I keep thinking of doing that in our bonus / guest room. Just an idea!

I love how bright and clean your room is but I also love the drama that some dark paint adds ! It’s worth a shot for sure.

• Natalie says

I’m with you on the accent wall. I don’t normally like them, but I think it would be great in this room. Really make the (awesome!) skull canvas stand out, but still keep the overall feel of the room light.

Door Sixteen has been painting everything in BM Deep Space so I’ve got that dark grey on the brain.