Small Wall Ledges For Flash Cards, Postcards Or Books

Aw yeah, we’re living on the ledge. We’ve been waiting to hang our postcard shelves from our first house’s office for over two years and we finally found the right spot for them. Ba-dow:

We detailed the whole how-we-made-them process here (you should click that just to see how tiny Clara was) so here’s how we adapted them for this space:

• we measured how wide the dresser that would sit under them was (we thought they’d look top-heavy and odd if they were a foot longer, which they were at first)
  • we lopped off the extra length on a miter saw, so they were all 2″ narrower than the dresser that sits under them

• we hung the first one (the lowest one) 16″ above the dresser after holding it up in a few different heights and deciding it looked best there (using a level to be sure it wasn’t wonky)

• we used long-ish screws (2.5″ guys) in three places to hold them nice and securely (anchors would be necessary for shelves with heavy items on them, but for small light shelves that hold small items like postcards, screws can easily do the job). Oh but we already had predrilled holes in the shelves so the screws could go right through them and hold them in place. So for more info on that click here for the full postcard-ledge-hanging rundown.

• there were some high-fives along the way

• we taped a yardstick to the wall (we used a level to be sure it was perpendicular to the floor) so we could use that as a guide to hang the left edge of all of them

• we hung each shelf on the wall with 9″ of space between each one (there was more bean-help and a few more high fives).

• we stepped back and enjoyed the view…

Then I broke out two things I’ve been hoarding saving for a nice long time.

Clara loves both of these boxes of flash cards, so I’ve been waiting not-so-patiently to hang the postcard shelves and rename them as… flash card shelves!

It’s a crazy easy way to add inexpensive art/color/interest plus there are even letters and words on them, so it’s a subtle little learning zone for Clara. She already gets a kick out of counting the number of animals on each shelf, finding specific ones that John or I call out, and even learning the first letter in many of their names (she woke up the other day and said “F is for Flamingo!” loud and proud as I lifted her out of her crib).

One more picture. Because I’m a flash card ledge fiend.

What are you guys cutting/leveling/hanging these days? Do you like to hang things from your first house in a different way or put a new twist on old art/shelves/ledges in a new space? Not gonna lie, it’s pretty fun to tweak something you already have for a whole new room and function. And I’m also pretty proud of myself for not droning on and on for once. 493 words in this post. Wooot! $herdog’s keeping it klassy koncise.

1. Kara says

Nice job! I’m trying to figure out how to hang a bulletin board, a magnetic board, a wall paper-filer thingy, and some teeny frames all around my desk. The hardest part is trying to make it look pretty but still be functional. How the HECK of you guys do it?!!

I would lay them on the floor and mess around with the layout until you like it and maybe even use fabric on the bulletin board or paint the frames to work together!

When I was little, I collected miniatures for my shadow box. Maybe Clara could start a “tiny things” collection in the same vein as her Mummy’s ceramic animals obsession!

love love love those little shelves. and her flashcards look so adorable on them! i may have to copy this idea when our little guy gets his big boy room. love that it is also so easy to swap out the art when you want to.

4. Alex says

Love those Eric Carle flash cards!! They are a class favorite in our pre-school room (18 – 23 month olds). It is so funny to hear the kids shout out “Narwhal!” and “Quetzel!” It’s very surprising for the parents and substitutes. :)

We just got the Eric Carle flashcards (the counting ones–are these the counting ones?) for Greta and they are so beautiful!! And thick. Really gorgeous and I love this postcard ledge wall. Too bad we have run out of walls in Greta’s room. Great idea.

Love this! Adds so much color and looks so streamlined. Great idea to use the flashcards. I just got a copy of your book and I am enjoying taking snippets of time during the day to sit down and browse through the ideas. Love that you guys give such creative and accessible ideas! Thanks :-)

Genious. Minimalistic and affordable, I’d say that’s a win win!

We just gutted our master closet and built/hung some closet organization pieces. Tried to keep it as simple but efficient as possible!

Check it out here ->

8. Claire says

Love love love this! Thanks for the inspiration. I’ve been waiting for the perfect idea to dress up the wall above my 2-year old’s dresser and I think I may have just found it!

Love this! So colorful and fun! I like that you didn’t feel obligated to place them in alphabetical order, like this (slightly too organized) gal would have done. :)

10. Lindsey says

I LOVE these. I am a card hoarder – erm, saver – too. I have the most adorable set of cards that detail a friendship between an elephant named Olive and a little yellow bird named BoBo that I am dying to use in a fun way like you did with these flashcards on shelves. Hmmmm, is that the inspiration train I see pulling up outside my door???

Clara’s big girl room is gonna be great! I’ve also had a request from my own big girl for a room update – she turned 5 this year and informed me that her “Orange Sherbet” walls “make me sad and want to cry every day.” Sniff!

11. Taya says

This is awesome! I never would have thought of that but it makes tons of sense for a kids room and it can grow with them! I’m seeing pictures of friends going up therein Clara’s tween years!