Adding Function & Fun To Our Basement Pegboard

So I finally finished decking out the other half of my Instagram-arted basement pegboard. Yup, I added a little makeshift shelf that I primed and painted, got a non-electrical music device (how’s that for mysterious?), and even hung something kitchen-related as art. Actually a lot of you guys have been asking what we did with the cutting board that we picked up a couple of months ago as part of The Shops At Target collection, so… I give you… America The Pegboard-iful.

I just thought it made for some cool (and sawdust-proof) art, since I’m into maps and all.

It worked out nicely that the blue-painted edge of it coincidentally goes with my navy pegboard. Although down the road it might be fun to paint it a more contrast-y color (or use decorative tape). Or do something else entirely to add some more interest.

I contemplated painting the shape of Virginia on it to mark where our home state is located, but I think it would work better if we lived somewhere that floated in the middle of the country (like Utah or Missouri) since painting such a small coastal state like ours might not make much impact.

The other thing I’m enjoying up there is my new iPod dock, which I purchased for $45 through an Etsy seller (Index Drums). Gotta have tunes while I saw and drill to my heart’s content, right? And sometimes getting myself a little “prize” for organizing/upgrading/taking back a room that has long been neglected makes the process a little more exciting. So since I tackled a ton of projects in the basement using just sweat equity, scrap wood, leftover paint, and pre-existing pegboards – buying this guy to add some function to the room feels like a nice reward.

I stumbled upon it while looking for an affordable but unique music dock that also didn’t require me to plug it in. I knew I wanted it to sit up on that pegboard, and having a big cord coming across my workspace would be obnoxious. So this plywood dock was perfect – especially since it never has to be charged or anything. It basically is just an echo chamber that naturally amplifies the sound that comes out of my iPhone’s built-in speaker.

The custom listing I purchased from even allowed me to indicate the type of case that my phone was in so they could carve the slot to the exact proportions of my device. I also got to pick the painted design and the colors. I’ve been very happy with it so far. It’s no BOSE speaker, but it looks good, sounds good, and I like that it doesn’t require any batteries or charging.

I quickly put together the shelf that everything sits on by just notching out and painting a piece of scrap wood so that it would balance on a couple of pegboard hooks.

As for the other stuff on the shelf, I grabbed a white elephant (from book project #197) and one of these Warhol soup cans to hold my pens. Er, well, pen for now.

And with those simple but functional additions, I’ve officially used all of the pegboard space in the basement. Not gonna lie, these little functional/organizational coups can feel just as exciting as building a deck or gutting a bathroom. I have no idea why. Maybe just because when you stand in a space all the time, and actually know where everything is and like the way it looks, well, that’s a special kind of house-love going on. And you know I have a thing for my pegboards…

Has anybody else hung anything unusual (on pegboards or just the wall at large) lately? When you look at this project, I put a cutting board, a chunk of scrap wood, a soup can, and a plastic elephant on my wall. I think that counts as unusual, right?

Comments

I love these little additions! The wood elements are so, so perfect for the space and I just love that you took the time to make a utilitarian space beautiful. And I’m cracking up that a white “ceramic” animal made its way in there!

Love it!! It really makes that space nice and personal when you’re down there working your magic. See, if they still made Cribs*, you could be like “forget the bedroom…THIS is where the magic happens baby!!”

*- I haven’t watched MTV in years, so I have no idea if they do or don’t make Cribs anymore. I had to asterisk my old age.

3. Natalie Royall says

OOhh! It looks so organized! I always love the organization posts you guys do. This has given me motivation for my garage. We just finished the “purge” phase and now everything we need to keep is in a big pile…oh great! :( Now I need me some peg board :)

I really like how you allowed yourself to have some man-pretty stuff displayed down there. Just because it’s your workspace doesn’t mean that it because be beautiful too. And, art is totally all about what is best for the space (don’t put something that will get moldy in the bathroom, don’t put something that will get ruined in the studio- makes total sense to me!)

How is this for weird art work? Nate and I made a clock completely from scratch! It was so easy I thought we were doing it wrong. Here’s our link- let me know what you think :)

5. Annelies says

Like the Ipod dock ! Didn’t know such thing existed. I wish I had one like that instead of my wired one. And so cool you could customise it. Nice job !

I love the powerless speaker! That would be a great gift for my nerdy hubs!

I’m curious: has your workshop stayed tidy(er) since you installed the pegboards? I usually add storage and then get lazy and don’t actually use it after a while.

Waaaaaaaaay tidier. It’s totally motivated me to keep my tools organized and actually take the time to clean up after each project. It’s worlds better down there, although at the moment a lot of the empty floor space is taken up with outdoor pillows and chairs that are in storage for the winter.

-John

I love that the “map” and speakers are both wood! I love the plastic elephant! Will he receive a name? I’m into naming the objects that surround me when I work. For example, I sew a bunch and my machine & dress form both have names. Maybe that’s a bit too crazy!

8. Kara says

It’s not too unusual nor am I really “hanging” it – but I’ve been working on a DIY project with this tall 7′ shutter board that I found on the road. I’ve been trying to convert it into a necklace holder for the really long necklaces that I have. Drilled holes and put in short pieces of dowel rods to serve as the pegs to hold up the necklaces. But it still looks so cluttered. I keep thinking “What would John and Sherry do??” But after three attempts/approaches, I’m ready to throw in the towel!

If you do paint Utah, I highly recommend a pretty shade of white for all of the snow we have now.

One local ski place (Snowbasin) is reporting 15 inches of fresh powder over night, and it’s falling steadily.

Also, thanks for sharing the iPod dock source. We’re looking for one for the nursery, and it appears to be harmonious with our music desires.

10. Linda says

W.O.W.!
    Your basement work space looks A-MA-ZING! Inspiration for our garage work space indeed! #dudegetonthat Let’s see how long it lasts given all the use it gets. I know we’re terrible about keeping any space looking that neat for long – never mind a work bench. Maybe we could persuade you to come over and do a little garage consultation for us? We’re local and maybe we could qualify as a crash? #moreliketrainwreck Oh, and I love the music dock. I had no idea such a thing existed… Off to Etsy I go!

Looks awesome! I made my sister snag four of those Warhol cans at Target for me, and now I just need to find the perfect spot for them. How are they holding up? Did you guys end up mod podging them at all?

John, you are the only guy I “know” that has art in his workshop, and I love it! My husband’s idea of art is beer signs!

It looks great… I think my favorite part is the little iPod dock… Or maybe the fact that Sherry’s white ceramic animal obsession is rubbing off on you….