Adding A Secondhand Dresser & A Moose Lamp

A dove and a moose walk into a bar. Just kidding, not a bar. That’s not kid-room appropriate. How about a dove and a moose walk onto a playground? Anyway, I’ll just cut to the chase. We finally found a dresser for Clara’s big girl room, complete with dovetailed joints! Hence the mention of a dove (ah, they don’t make ’em like they used to).

We wanted one for the playroom/ big girl room for Clara once she moves in there (so that eventual-second-child can use Clara’s original dresser since it works so well as a changing table in the nursery). And that way we’re not undoing one room to redo another room, which always feels counter productive. Plus nine more drawers worth of storage in our house = jackpot. Especially when it’s taking the place of an old room full of clutter, which used to be what this space was.

It was a pretty great secondhand score thanks to Sir Craig And His List (craigslist for those not down with my dorktastic lingo). For just $50 we’re the proud owners of this nine drawer dresser. As for how we found it, we just searched “dresser” on craigslist in our area a few times a week (maybe once a week if I forgot) for about a month and then finally this guy came up:

Our only real requirements were something from a non-smoking household (that’s a hard scent to remove), something with at least six drawers like Clara’s nursery dresser which has worked out so well for us (nine is a total bonus!), and something long as opposed to tall (since we figure as she grows she can reach these drawers and get dressed herself more easily than she would with a tallboy since she might not be able to reach all those upper drawers).

After we got it into the room, we tried the daybed and the dresser on a few different walls and preferred the dresser right to the left of the door as you enter the room (it’s a lot shallower than the daybed, which sticks into the room quite a bit, so we liked that on the back wall with the dresser across from it).

And here’s the other side of the room to help you get your bearings:

Oh but our new dresser’s not in perfect condition…

… so we’re planning to either refinish it or paint it depending on how the room evolves around it. We don’t want to rush into anything so it’s easiest to do what we call sticking & moving. We drop it in place in the room and just keep on adding other elements that we need in here (a rug, window treatments, art, a new light fixture, etc) and we’re sure at some point it’ll become a lot more clear if we want to refinish it in a deep wood tone, paint it a moody navy, or go snowy white with it. Who knows, we might end up somewhere else entirely! No matter what we decide, you know we’ll keep you posted!

But where does the moose come in? Remember the estate sale light that I sprayed ceramic-animal-white back here? Boom, moose.

I promised you guys a shot of him with his final lampshade on, so there you have it. Remember the fabric-covered shade was a book project (#182) so we couldn’t share it until the book was out but now that it’s out, I’m all about it. We used fabric leftover from Clara’s monthly picture to recover a shade that we already had, and I actually used the back side of the fabric (I’m a huge fan of using a fabric backwards to mute it down a little).

So now you’ve basically seen one wall of the room starting to come together. Can’t wait to hang something over the dresser. Hint: it’s not going to be frames or “traditional” art. We’ll share pics as soon as we have it done! Hopefully Wednesday (we’re on a plane all day today coming back from the West Coast, but we have a giant to-do list that we hope to tackle tomorrow and then shoot and share things as soon as we can).

Oh and you’ve already seen the daybed on the other side of the room, but just for fun I thought I’d toss this picture in here too so you can see how the upholstered lamp shade “plays” with the pillows and blanket. It’s looking pretty happy in there. And I can’t wait to add some other colors like navy and teal and yellow. Soon I hope!

In the meantime, who’s the cutest fake sleeper you know? Does her name start with a C and end with a lara?

What are you guys searching/eying/buying on craigslist? Any other furniture sources that you love? Do you know any dove/moose related jokes? Did any of you guys go thrifting this weekend for the ol’ Macklemore Challenge? Thanks so much for all the fun we had with that on Friday. Can’t wait to see what you guys scored!

1. Christina P (NS) says

And your amazing Craig’s List luck strikes again. I am a Kijiji (pronounced Keh-gee-gee – Canada’s version of Craig’s List) searcher as well and while I have had some good finds over the years I am constantly blown away by the quality and price of your finds! Jealous!!
    Christina P(NS)

2. qs777 says

Love the dresser! I may be a little biased since we got one almost exactly like it for our daughter’s room. We scored it at a yard sale for $35 and it came with 2 headboards and a nightstand! We ended up painting ours, but some days I wish we would have left it alone. Live and learn as it was our first adventure in repurposing furniture.

Just an FYI – our handles were an unusual size so we have not been able to find anything so we just spray-painted the ones that came with it. If we paint it again, we will have to fill in the holes so we can get any handles we want. Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

3. Stephanie says

We are in the middle of redoing a big girl room too, although our home is older than yours so we have spent most of our time scrapping away the layers, opening up the closet, redoing the whole ceiling, etc. it’s almost ready for paint now ;) Anyway, I’m planning to repurpose our French Provincial bedroom set – very close to your new piece but with more curlies and ball feet, quite girly, but torn between trying to fix the original finish or painting it. How do you know when to paint and when to maintain the original finish. Since this is vintage furniture, I don’t want to ruin good pieces with paint if not needed. Thanks and I’m looking forward to what you do with your piece.

We just see what room we want to use it in and wait to see what we think will look best. Obviously if you have a valuable antique painting it isn’t a good idea to maintain the value, but cheap Craigslist finds can go either way :)

We have the SAME dresser. Scored at a huge town garage sale for charity back when they still held it. I had to look up and say “yup, ours is still here.” ha ha. The wear & tear even looks the same. Will be interesting to see what you do to it down the line. :)

Thrifting this weekend! So fun. So planned on scoring some awfulsome stuff to spray paint and otherwise spruce. At which point we discovered that the living room and dining room are totally done, don’t need anything else and that we have no plan for the office or master bedroom. So we ended up thrifting all day Sunday, buying nothing and coming home to finally DEAL with the office/junk room.

I swear, you are the best craigslist finders ever. I’m rubbish. Though I shortchange myself at every turn and give up after one or two checks. I bet you daydream about this room constantly to think about what comes next.

7. Addie Klein says

Love the new dresser!
    I’m also loving your new sponsor with the antique jewelry. I’m not usually someone who clicks on links like that, but that’s a fun one! I think I looked at every single antique ring. Can’t wait for a giveaway from them. ;)

8. Deb says

Love it! I just told my sister-in-law about Diversity Thrift. She is looking for a coffee table. I still have not been, but I told her about you guys going there so… I think she will check it out. I am on the lookout for a sofa like you had in your first den or living room. Hoping Craig can help out. Any other place you would recommend for sofas? Thanks and happy flying!

9. Jamie says

Please don’t paint that dresser! Leave it with that gorgeous finish – I would even leave the dings alone, unless they’re splintery.