Reader Redesign: Owen’s Room

Nancy’s room for her son Owen is a great example of how a nursery or kids room can be cool and sophisticated while still being playful and fun. Which is pretty awesome, especially when the price tag is a mere three hundred beans. And since we get a bunch of folks asking for kids rooms, we couldn’t wait to spill the pics along with Nancy’s note below:

Hey guys! I have been living in my home for four years now, and I finally decided it was time to decorate it. I started with my two year old son’s room, and now I am questioning why I didn’t start with my room first. I may just have to kick him out.

His room evolved over the course of a few months as I decided what I wanted and didn’t. I spent a total of $305 to makeover his room thanks to doing my best to be crafty and resourceful (I definitely don’t mind shopping at thrift stores).

To help keep costs low, I made a lot of the items in his room myself, including the shelving, the curtains, the wood accent wall, his toys, his blankets and pillows, and most of his art work.

I painted his dresser, which was a dump rescue. The antique rocker was a Craigslist buy, and his crib was a baby shower gift from my father.

I am really pleased with the end results, so tell me, do I get six YHL thumbs up? Here’s hoping! -Nancy

Nancy, not only do you get six thumbs up, we’ll even throw in four Burger paws just for those awesome chevron-gradient curtains and that cool accent wall alone. So let’s call it an even 10. There are more pics of the reveal on Nancy’s blog plus a source list chock full of links to all of her DIY-ed items for ya, but first let’s play the favorite part game. Sherry is all. over. that. dresser. And I sort of want to steal that little gold whale.

Anyone else having issues? Maybe try clearing your cache/cookies/data or disabling any anti-virus stuff you have (often Norton and McAffee blocks pics for a few days and then they pop up).

• Kelly says

Not just you. The past few visits, the pictures have not appeared at first. If I visit YHLife and then go back to the main page or click the comments section, the pictures usually appear.

So odd! I wonder why they would slowly come back like that? I wish it was something we could fix on our end, but we haven’t changed anything on our site having to do with pics/loading/hosting for years!

So sorry Carol! I can tell you there’s nothing we changed about our site/images/hosting/uploading/server at all, so we’re sure it’s some sort of external browser or spyware/virus-scan glitch that will hopefully clear up! One idea is to try another browser and clear your browser’s (and your entire computer’s) cache/cookies/data which might help them pop back up.

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I also would love to see more kid rooms on YHL. Love the trend of doing grey with an accent colour in a boys room rather than the traditional (sometimes boring) blue. Well done Nancy! Thanks for sharing!

Oh my gosh! I’m SO digging that accent wall! I love the fact that it doesn’t go all the way up and instead ends with the shelf. I definitely wouldn’t have thought to do it that way – and I LOVE it! Kind of want to do that in our guest room now… off to pin it on Pinterest!

Wow, looks fantastic! I love the wall treatment behind the dresser, and I’m a huge fan of the chevron curtains as well. Nicely done. :-)

I don’t usually go for the all white color palette. I’m a deep, rich earth tone gal but she seriously did this right. What a lovely place for her boy!

5. Kristie says

OMG OMG OMG @ the art hung next to the window frame. I have a weirdly off-center window as well and I would have never thought of this in a million years. Absolute GENIUS!