Finally! Some Book Project Sneak Peeks…

One of the things our publisher does is have each of their authors create a short video about their book. A movie trailer of sorts – but for a book.

Artisan suggested we hire a little film/editing crew to do it, but like true DIYers we took it as a fun challenge to see how much we could do ourselves. So we came up with an outline, wrote a little script, hired a local video genius to shoot it for us (who also happens to be our brother in law) and edited it ourselves in Final Cut Pro back in March. And now that we’re two months away from the official book release date (Nov 6th, aka Election Day) we’re finally allowed to share it! Wahoo.

We had to finish the video so early because our publisher needed it for a spring sales conference in March, so as soon as we got back from Hawaii the pressure was on (see how bare the trees are in this pic?). Thankfully all of the projects were already finished for when we shot all of the book photography over three weeks at our house in February, so one day of shooting video and setting up little impromptu vignettes wasn’t too tricky. It was actually really fun.

The funniest thing is that we handed in our outline for all of the projects in the book about a year before this video was shot, so finally seeing the projects in real life in a polished format like this (since it was well before we saw any final book proofs) was kind of surreal. I guess it’s akin to baking a cake for a year or two and finally getting to taste it.

The weirdest part by far was recording our nerdy little voice over (while sitting in a closet using our iPhones) and layering that in there. Allow us to share this reenactment so you can picture it (Burger was playing the role of “Supervisor”):

And for those of you at work who can’t watch videos, here are a few still shots (there are a lot more sneak peeks of various projects in the video though):

We’re so relieved to finally be able to reveal some of the projects in the book – even if it’s only a small portion for now. Thankfully in less than two months the book will be out (you can pre order it here) so all those kitties will be out of the bag. Can’t wait! Free the kitties!

Have you guys ever written a video script and attempted to make a somewhat polished little YouTube ditty? It’s kinda fun, right? The clothesline concept was all John’s – and we love how it allowed us to squeeze in a few bonus project peeks. I’d say previewing 15 projects in a little over a minute is pretty speedy, indeed. You know we like to cram stuff in there (slash are terrible secret keepers). Woot!

Comments

So I probably wasn’t going to buy the book, only because I’m cheap. What can I say I’m Dutch. (But I really do love you guys!) But those sneak peaks have convinced me otherwise! I am going to lay down my dutchiness and get it!I may have to wrap it in plastic, though, because I think it’s drool worthy! AWESOME!!!

I was already super excited to read your book, but now I am over-the-moon excited. :) The clothesline concept was great and I love that your personalities came through in such a short clip. Nicely done! You and your blog are such an inspiration; I can’t wait to see what else you put together for the book.

3. Bianca H says

I just pre-ordered from amazon UK. Cannot wait for the book tour details… I will be in California in Dec ’12 and I am really REALLY hoping that the stars will align and I will get a signed book! Also, my hubs watched the video and was all up on that gradient dresser… HA!

I believe there’s one available although we hear visual books (with lots of pics like ours) are usually better in the “real” form (sometimes the formatting of an ebook isn’t as cute. Hope it helps!

xo

4. cyndee anthony says

The book has been pre-purchased and I am wanting to get it sooner rather than later. Your excited happy approach to your home is truely inspiring. Can’t wait to see your new “book baby”.

PS I just loved the video of Clara dancing in front of the oven door. Just love
    to see and hear that happy little one.

5. Stacey Cucuzza says

I’m sooo excited for this book!! Congratulations! I don’t even “know” you guys but I couldn’t be happier for you. Amazing job on everything you have done. Your blog is a true inspiration for me and my home. oh and you two have to be the cutest couple I’ve ever seen. the video totally made me smile! Really well done!

6. Karen Q. says

You two are just adorable- great job on the video- very well thought out and edited- totally has a movie trailer vibe! Can’t wait for the book, seriously can’t wait- getting giddy! You are such an inspiration!
    Congratulations, so happy and excited for you! :)

7. erin says

I pre-ordered mine! So excited! I’m so glad you two are willing to share your creativity with those who are lacking in the area. It’s so refreshing to have help from creative minds who make you feel nothing but able. Thank you for inspiring those of us who need help with turning our homes into the places we love. You both have been so helpful in my endeavor to turn my fixer-upper into a place I want to be and kept me from feeling defeated with your DIY ideas that are always lovely and affordable. <3

Oh Erin, you’re so sweet! That’s totally what’s the most rewarding for us. Seriously, hearing that you guys are doing things at home and feeling inspired… there’s nothing quite like it!

xo

8. Ashley says

This is so fantastic!!! Husband and I have pre-ordered and can’t wait to see your finished project! Not to mention have it on our coffee table for every day reference!!!! :)