Budget Blooms: Tulips, Take Three

Things I’m great at: making up words to songs when I don’t know them, eating Oreos, dancing like Elaine from Seinfeld.

Things I’m bad at: loading the dishwasher, remembering to get haircuts more than once every few years, and apparently doing monthly budget bloom posts.

I used to do them once a month for over a year, but then I fell off, struggled to get back on it six months ago with one measly post in February, and just never got it together in any sort of regular pattern. So here’s a random Budget Blooms post after over half a year of absence in that department. Won’t you forgive me? In return I played around with these sweet tulips that John brought home from the grocery store for $5 in not one, not two, but three different “vases.” That’s in quotes because only the first containment device is actually a vase…

It’s one of those free ones I got when a good friend of mine sent me birthday flowers a while back.

It was really simple and pretty, but then I broke out my metal thrift store pineapple urn, just because I thought the shape was sort of penny-tile-ish with that going on in the background.

Crazy diagonal shot:

Wannabe-artsy cropped shot:

And here’s my third “vase” – which is actually a tin lantern from HomeGoods a while back that usually lives on the dining room built-ins. It even came with a clear glass cup in the middle of it (maybe for a candle?) so it was perfect for tulips and water too.

Which one’s your favorite? And while I’m asking questions, is anyone else being better about treating themselves to inexpensive monthly budget blooms or doing some other monthly blogging feature? Have you ever done something for over a year and then just inexplicably gotten terrible at it? What’s my deal?

Psst- You can peruse a whole mess of Budget Bloom posts from the good ol’ days here.

Pssst- You might wanna check out the update that we added to the bottom of our homemade basket light. It’s such a small world!

Comments

Monthly blooms are a must! I love how beautiful and stylish they are! :) They can brighten up any room and don’t be so hard on yourself… Don’t fret about falling off the routine… same here! Guilty as charged! Which reminds me… I better get back to it. :)

2. Katie says

Oh! I love having fresh flowers in the house, sadly it doesnt happen near often enough… if only I could keep my rose bush alive :)I havent been reading your blog long enough to see the old bloom posts but me likey. Maybe some holiday themed arrangements in your future? Fun!

3. Ellen says

The clear one is my vote, with the pinapple in second…..(wishing it was silver though….)
    I am not real good in the hair cut dept. Usually once a year for me.. Best part is I went to school for it. Everyone in the family gets the all the time..

4. Kate says

As a former florist, I say “think scale” with all blooms, even budget ones! Tulips shine when they can show off their height! Vase 1 is best. That being said, you should keeps little floral oasis (foam) in the house ( its cheap), and use it for creating arrange,ends in non- traditional vessels. It will keep with your style and allow you to refresh arrangements with both hardy and more delicate flowers, allowing them to last longer.

Sweet! Tulips are seriously so awesome and cheerful. I pass them (and all the pretty flowers) all the time at the grocery store, but I have a really hard time justifying buying flowers for myself. But I have a soft spot for violets, so we have a bunch of them scattered throughout the house. I’ve also been known to resort to faux plants for the dead zones within our house…

6. Ashley Edge says

I like the lantern! I treated myself to some sunflowers this weekend :)

So, I was told that if you stick a penny in a vase with tulips it keeps them from getting droopy… I’ve never tried it but I’m so curious to see if it actually works. Have you ever heard/done that?!

Okay, first: I spent all of my free time last week (except the weekend) reading your blog from start to now. I love it. It’s so inspiring to see other young people (I’m 24) such as yourselves following their dreams, despite the risks involved. Your home(s) is beautiful and I’m very jealous that you have that space to work with! It’s definitely motivated me to reassess what I can do with my rented apartment space (2br/1ba, first floor of a two-family, so it’s fairly big). My land lady may allow me to paint, as she’s already approved painting the chair rail in the kitchen, so I’m starting with that and a super limited budget. All of our furniture was previously owned or gifted from family’s attics or basements. I can’t even afford a slip cover for our couch, which it desperately needs, but that just gives me more time to figure out what color would be best :)

Second: The tin lantern is my favorite. Very Moraccan vibe.

8. Stephanie says

My fave cheap flower to buy is alstroemerias-they are long lasting and a small quantity fills a vase nicely. But $5 for a bunch of tulips is a great price, especially this time of year! And my fave is the first one…simple and classic.

9. Donita says

So pretty!!! My vote, the clean lines one #1. :-) We used to buy flowers about every three weeks. We bought the Safeway or Walmart bouquets for $5.00. For some reason *maybe it is because we are wanting to buy our OWN RANCH STYLE HOUSE* we haven’t bought any for months. I DO miss the bright cheery colors. We tell ourselves every year, that we are going to plant wild flowers around the house, so that we can pick our own pretty bouquet. We DID plant some this year, but our growing season here in Washington is all messed up this year. Many of our garden veggies are not doing so well. There is always next year. :-) Those beautiful tulips, make me want to splurge tomorrow and buy some for myself. :-)