What Up, Succa?

Yes, that is a succulent pun. And no, I’m not proud of it.

I’m sort of on a greenery kick (both outdoors and apparently indoors as well), so this is the story of four cheap-o succulents that I impulse-bought from Home Depot and then decided to plant in kind of a weird way.

The two small ones were $2.98 and the two middle ones were $3.98 a pop. Oh and I used to have a red cactus for years throughout middle school and high school. Seriously, I couldn’t kill that thing if I tried. So that’s why he’s in the mix for nostalgia’s sake.

Then I hunted around or some planters or baskets or old boxes to plant them in (Anthrophologie had some great succulents planted in old wooden boxes with pebbles around them and they looked super cool). Then my entire idea sort of shifted when I came up empty on boxes (and didn’t happen to have any cool white pebbles around either) but laid eyes on these old vases just sitting around in my cabinet.

How weird would it be if I planted them in something see-through? Probably pretty weird, but I’m ok with weird. Heck, I embrace weird. I paused to worry for a second that they wouldn’t have any drainage in these glass containers, but I realized that the ceramic pot that my wouldn’t-die red cactus from high school didn’t have any drainage holes (nor do any of the white Ikea plant pots that we have around the house) so I went for it. But they clearly needed more dirt.

So I went outside with a spoon (yes, a spoon) and used it to scoop some more dirt into my transparent little vessels. The verdict: I think they look pretty cool!

I mean, people mulch their gardens for a cleaner look, right? I think the dark brown tone of the dirt looks so pretty against the green of the plants. Plus a lot of our surfaces are white (and nearly all of my plant pots are white) so maybe my eyes just appreciate the contrast (my eyes are such rebels).

As of now two of them are hanging out in the hall bathroom (on the white counter, which definitely makes them pop) and one of them is on the white fireplace mantel in the kitchen (my little red cactus, since he’s quickly becoming my favorite for sentimental reasons). I’ll have to snap a picture of them in their new homes for ya soon. Although plants and pillows tend to migrate a lot around here, so they might pop up somewhere else next week anyway.

Have you ever planted something in sort of an unorthodox way? Or owned a red cactus in high school that straight up refused to bite the big one, even when you forgot to water it for months?

Comments

Looks great! I love succulents of all kinds though with the extremely low light levels in our home my plant collection has suffered tremendously. I don’t normally put my plants in clear vessels but yours look great! Maybe I’ll give that a try!!

2. Leigh Ann says

I totally love the succulent trend right now! My boyfriend (of 11 years) has been buying me cacti since high school & it’s so funny that that’s now the trend. He always bought me a cactus instead of a bouquet, because the flowers die & the cactus is long-lasting. It’s always such a romantic gesture.

Next one I get is totally going in a glass vase!

3. gia says

I kind of want to steal this idea and use all the clear vases I have lying around my basement. I love the contrast!

4. Jennifer says

There is special soil for succulents, so if they don’t do well you might look into that. Also, in humid climates, you don’t need to water those, they will pull all the moisture they need from the humidity in the air. I live in the midwest and had one like your red one, and I never watered it in the 5 years I had it.

5. Martha says

Yes, I did own one of those red cacti that refused to die. My parents might still have it, I think I actually gave it a name (it was mine in middle school, I called it “Coral”) :) Love the succulents!

Love it! We love succulents. We actually stole a few from a friend’s wedding (they were just going to get rid of them) and they sat on our dining room table for weeks and weeks, no soil, no water. Still started growing tiny roots, which made me feel guilty, so we planted them.
    Almost a year later and they’re still chugging along.
    When I went to Denver to visit my sister, I thought it was awesome that there were succulents all over peoples yards. SO cool, and so very very not Southern.

I had an ivy planted in a decorative teapot for a couple years, until it outgrew it and I transplanted it to a real pot. Now I’m going to re-visit the teapot and put something lovely in it!

I’ve been seeing a lot of adorable succulent displays, but I haven’t purchased any in fear my cat would try to eat yet ANOTHER indoor plant. However I have seen some really neat ways to display them vertically, hung from a wall! Would love to give it a try… I probably will when I get the chance!

• Jane says

My cat eats any plan I have…except the succulents! Give it a try. I think there might be a juicy bitter taste in the leaves that they dont like.

• Chelsea says

My cat does the same thing! It has been so long since I have been able to have any flowers or plants in my house… and then I buy him cat grass and he wont touch the stuff. His name is Little F, just guess what the F stands for.

9. Sarah F says

I just added some succulents to the three cacti I had living in my kitchen windowsill. They’re planted in an oblong milk glass looking Ikea dish. Very clean looking. I love the little buggers.
    But I have tons of houseplants. :D I’m addicted.
    Love that red cactus!

10. carie says

Ok, I’m taking bets on how long these guys are gonna live… just kidding you guys but seriously, they look super cute so good luck!