Used Toilets And Door Trimmings

And now for a fourth chapter of The Sandbox Chronicles. Just kidding. It’s time for some toilet talk. Remember the almond toilet that came with our master bedroom (which we recently switched out for a taller and cleaner-looking white one)? Well, for a while the old almond guy – who looks oddly white in this picture below – just sat in our entryway. What, is that weird?

The reason? We decided to try our hand at Craigslisting it. Once John found out it was an over $1300 (!!!) toilet by Kohler (more on that here) he was convinced we could get some money for it from someone in search of an upscale almond toilet. You’d be amazed what people buy on Craigslist by the way. And a few days later… we sold it! For $80! The nicest family (a man with two young boys and a baby girl) came over to grab it after work one night last week. I know it’s nerdy, but it felt so good to know that our old john was going to a loving home. Haha. The funniest part was that when they all left with the toilet and we were waving at the window with Clara (she requires that we wave at everyone walking away from our house) she said “I go in car too!” Yup, the girl apparently liked the toilet and the new family so much that she wanted to leave with them.

Although we were initially looking at the $80 that we made on the sale of the old “fancy toilet” as a nice little credit towards our new one (which was $88), a few days later we heard about a sweet local family (a single mother named Chevelle with six children) that Habitat For Humanity is helping out. And we learned that for an $100 donation we could buy them a toilet for their new soon-to-be-built house.

So we happily put our $80 Craigslist profit plus twenty bucks of our own into an $100 toilet donation for Chevelle’s family. If anyone else feels like helping them out – here’s the link. Habitat is such a great organization. We’re fans. But anyway, now that we’ve covered the subject of used (and new) toilets, let’s get on to the whole door trimming thing.

You probably remember us mentioning that the bottom of our bathroom door needed to be trimmed so it would open all the way instead of getting caught on an air vent in the floor.

Not only was it annoying that the door wouldn’t fully open due to grinding up against the vent, but we also couldn’t have a bath mat because the bottom of the door would just wad it up and push into it since it couldn’t just pass over even the thinnest options. Which meant wet puddles on the floor outside the tub every day. Which just happens to be right in front of the toilet. Do you know how gross it is to go to the bathroom with your feet in puddles? Granted they’re clean bathwater puddles, but still – your brain can go to a dark place. And if you have socks on and you walk into the bathroom: wet socks. The worst.

So this week’s bathroom door-trimming update is also this week’s Dude Get On That Already challenge, because… dude…. how have we not gotten on this sooner?

To remedy this situation, we cut down the door. It really wasn’t bad at all. First we removed the door by removing the hinge screws to slowly release it (two people = the best way to do something like this to avoid the door slamming down to the ground and scaring the bejeesus out of you).

Then John and I carried the door out to the patio where we had set up the table saw. John pushed the door against the guide next to the blade as I pushed the door slowly into the blade to get a nice clean cut off the bottom. Update: Matt very kindly taught us a safer way to cut down a door, so read about that here. Safety first!

We probably took between half an inch and a third of an inch off since it was such a tight fit before and we wanted to make sure it would clear the vent on the floor and the future bath mat that we’d be adding to solve the whole puddle problem.

Then I sanded the bottom of the door to clean up any roughness before we rehung it (since once we rehung it we’d have a hard a$$ time getting sandpaper under it to smooth that area out).

Then we rehung the door about a half-hour later by using the same screws that we removed from the hinges.

Oh happy day! We cleared the vent! Still have to do some quick paint touch ups along the bottom lip, but it’s looking pretty good.

Then I took a minute to add a doorstop on the bottom right edge of the door so the towel hooks on the back of the door wouldn’t slam open into the art that’s hanging on that side wall.

So now our bathroom to-do list looks like this:

• paint the walls so they have some contrast
  • replace the boob light
  • paint the cream trim white
  • hang some bathroom-friendly art
  • craigslist the toilet and replace it with a classic white one
  • do something to add privacy to the window
  • nix the ugly and cluttered showerhead caddy
  • remove the door so we can shave the bottom (and add a door stopper so it doesn’t squash the art)
  • finally get a bath mat
  • replace the border tile around the room (maybe in phase 2?)
  • move the blue pendant light to hang centered in front of the window (phase 2?)
  • replace the floor tile down, just to break things up since there’s so much of it (definitely phase 2)

John and I are still discussing when we’ll tackle things like cutting out that border tile and replacing it (along with rehanging the light to be centered on the window) so we’ll keep you posted if it’s right around the corner, and will be back with a full budget breakdown for all of Phase One if we decide to hold off on that other stuff for a little while. But enough about us. What about you guys? Have you sold any secondhand toilets? Bought any new ones? Cut down any doors?

Psst- To follow this bathroom sprucing project from the start, check out this planning post, this painting post, this light-swapping post, this art and trim-painting post, this toilet-updating post, and this window frosting and shampoo wrangling post.

Wet socks are my second least favorite thing ever. First least favorite? Running out of cheese.

And no toilet todos for me right now, but we did just sign on our new house! And we’re having built-ins installed before we move in which means I totally get a library!

Now I’ll have a place to house my (literally) thousands of books and my husband won’t be able to complain about “drowning in books” any longer.

Although I don’t know what his problem was. I’d much rather drown in books than say…water or something.

Amen on the running out of cheese thing. Clara must feel the same way because on Tuesday it happened and we both had a rough time. Haha.

As for the new house- congrats! That’s amazing! Can’t wait for pics of everything!

I find the best way to combat the running out of cheese thing is just to text my husband the word “CHEESEMERGENCY” (my iPhone actually recognizes it as a word now.)

Then he knows to stop at the store for cream cheese on his way home. It’s actually really effective.

2. Elaina says

Ok, completely off topic from toilets and doors and moving onto the sandpaper pic:

It really looks like that hand is missing half of the thumb?! I checked it out for a few mintues, comparing and moving my thumb in different positions! Does this make me weird? lol

That’s awesome you got so much for your old toilet and donated the $$…very cool! And yay for getting the door done so you can have a bath mat, sometimes it’s the little things that make a HUGE difference in life. I hate puddles in the bathroom too! :-)

4. Rachel says

Just clicked on one of the recommended posts thinking it was another YHL post, but it took me to an external article from another site. Maybe you can put Ad or Sponsored over those so that people know before they accidentally click out to a random site.

Sorry about that Rachel! The last box is usually always an external site but if you roll over the “i” on the button before you click it, it says “sponsored” and even if you don’t roll over it, it says the site’s name on the bottom in italics (ex: Stylelist Home). Hope that helps! It’s not our design, it’s just the way the “Realated Posts” plug in does it.

5. Jude says

For anyone who wants to cut down the bottom of your door: best stick some tape or similar to the bottom to the door before you take it off the hinges. Or do something else to mark it, just make very, VERY sure you are actually cutting off a piece on the bottom.

I know people who shortened their door and upon rehanging found they trimmed the top…

6. Nancy says

Am I missing something? We put down a thick towel like bathmat after we’re in the bathroom and then pick it up and hang it to dry after we finish, before we leave the bathroom. Not that it matters since you’ve fixed the door but I don’t see why you had to step onto the bare floor before.

It’s just a very very small room with two hooks for towels and no room/place to hang a bath mat when it’s not in use. There’s not even room for the sink in there, so it’s really tiny.

• mimi says

Yeah I always keep my bathmat draped over the edge of the tub, unless it’s being used. I hate when the bathmat gets covered in dirty shoe footprints (we have a bungalow and just have a main floor bathroom and a basement bathroom, so the main bathroom gets most of the traffic).

• monica says

This is funny – I think this is one of those “you did what your family did when you were little” things. I always use one of the thin bathmats that come with towel sets for our actual bathmat – that is what my family did. It lives over the side of the tub when not in use. I have trained my kids to put it on the floor when they take a shower and to put it back when they are done. Sometimes the bathroom has an official rug, sometimes it does not, depending on size of the room. Like a previous poser, I don’t like the idea of my nice clean feet stepping on a bathmat/rug that has been stepped all over by shoes! (I know this is not the case in the YHL bathroom cause it is your master and only used by you guys. I recently moved into a one bathroom house, so that bathroom gets used by everyone who comes into my house)

So interesting! It totally must be a how-you-grew-up thing! John and I both grew up in “the bath mat stays on the floor at all times” houses! Haha. Although it does sound nice to not have a mat that gets matted, hahah.

7. Nikki says

Donated $25…I hope that they get to their goal! Thanks for pointing this out. It’s always nice to feel like you can help someone directly!

8. Taya says

Glad your bathroom remodel is coming along so well! I stole your blue pendant light idea to switch out an old 80’s globe light in our recently bought house. It hangs over our kitchen sink and is a cobalt color. I wanted to replace it from the second we viewed the house but didn’t know what I wanted to put there… until I saw your gorgeous blue bathroom pendant lamp! Thanks for the inspiration!

Congrats on getting the door to work better — it’s the little things that can drive you crazy.

Also, thank you so much for the safety tips on the sandbox. We’re planning on building one this summer, too, so by next summer I’m sure we’ll actually get it done.

One more also: I dreamed that your family came over to our house for dinner and after you left I was upset because I realized I hadn’t even cleaned up or closed the door to our messy master bedroom (visible from the front hall). And then I was like, wait, what did I even serve for dinner? Did I really give them burnt rice? What was I thinking? I’m sure they’ll never come back. So if you’re ever in Arvada, CO and want to stop by for dinner, I promise to not serve you burnt rice or subject you to a messy house :)

A little off topic but the photos of the door outside are very fun- love the mirror reflecting the sky and the trees. My Grandparents live in Savannah and have a courtyard and my Grandma hung a sturdy long mirror from Home Depot in the garden and it is such a neat look whenever you walk past it-reflecting the greenery and their fountain. Might be a fun addition to your outdoor patio if you had a good spot to hang one. It adds some neat depth and kind of doubles whatever is growing around it- a fun, lush look.

11. Katie says

I just wanted to let you know I’ve been experiencing issues viewing your blog on my iPhone. The entire background is wallpapered by Habitat for Humanity logos and I can’t read the text underneath. Love your site otherwise!