Scoring A Jenn-Air Hood Range On Sale From Craigslist

Woot. We did it. We found a stainlesss steel range hood on craigslist. It’s an industrial strength pro JennAir one (valued at around $350) but we got it for… $60! Oh craigslist, I could kiss you on the mouth.

The listing said $65, but you know I did the old “how about sixty, we have cash?!” thing when we got there and looked it over… and… sold! It definitely appeared to be purchased but never used (it still had some of the white sticky peel-off stuff on the underside that new hoods have) – although it didn’t look like it had been kept completely protected while it was being stored (there are some scratches on the curved hood part). But those scratches are most likely the reason we got it for such a deal (in mint condition it could have been sold for at least $200). And since we’ll be building a wood hood box around it, those scratches won’t matter at all. We actually love them for allowing us to afford such a fancy pants hood. Wait, you’re stuck on that part about the wood hood box thing, aren’t you?

We’re basically going to try to build a wood frame to attach to the wall and house our new $60 JennAir vent since we looked up some prices for wood hoods that are built by someone else…. and let’s just say I spewed orange juice all over my computer when I caught a whiff of the cost (from here).

We’re not 100% sure on the actual hood-box shape (some are boxier and some have that little stem at the top) but we’ll keep you posted. Might just tape out a few shapes on the tile and see what we like.

Oh and as for the two pendant lights we’ll be adding over the peninsula, we hit up one of our favorite local lighting outlets (The Decorating Outlet on Midlothian for any locals out there), where we found the exact same lights we had been ogling in this post about a month ago! We couldn’t believe they had two of them in the same finish and everything. They’re currently $129 here, but the outlet was selling them for $60 a pop. So for less than the cost of one ($120 total) we got two! We think they’re going to make a huge statement in the kitchen, and considering that big box stores are currently selling similar stuff for $100+ each, we thought it was a great deal.

The finish that we chose may surprise you (or not, haha) but we actually went with oil-rubbed bronze. Since there are already a ton of nickel/stainless accents in the kitchen (hardware, appliances, the industrial stools) we thought it might add up to a more layered/interesting look to pepper in some ORB. We’re huge fans of mixing metals as long as both types of metal occur a few times so it looks intentional (so there’s not one odd man out while the rest is a different finish, which can look kind of weirdly accidental). So we’ll be bringing in a few other dashes of the rich almost-black finish so it’s nice and balanced looking – especially with the mocha cork floors. We also love that the pendants are hugely visible through the large doorway to the dining room, since that room has things like an oil-rubbed bronze door knob, curtain rod, etc – so they should layer right into the mix.

Now we just have to hang the pendants, wrestle that hood into place, build a custom wood range hood cover, add some floating shelves, finish the trim, lay some cork floors, install the dishwasher, and a few other things that my brain is probably intentionally forgetting to keep my blood pressure down. But we’re getting there! We’re like the blogging tortoises of kitchen renos. Picture us crawling along with little laptops tucked away in our shells. Oh and on the subject of hoods and lights, have you guys be dabbling in those areas lately? Any lucky craigslist or outlet scores lately?

1. Stephanie Phillips says

I’ve been having the hardest time visualizing the hood, so now I’m getting excited to see how it goes! Amanda from Our Humble ABowed did a fantastic wrapped hood in her new kitchen and it makes me weak in the knees… Can’t wait to see how it ends up!

OMG! $4k for a wooden box?! Are they drinking? That’s crazy! You could totally build that yourself. I recommend plywood with some trim on the corners and edges.. it’s probably more temp stable over time, especially with being over a rangetop.

Can’t wait to see what you come up with!!

Nice Craiglist score & Those lights are amazing!

I definitely have NOT been dabbling in hoods and lights area since I don’t have a house yet… :( But I’m working on that. Instead I’ve been dabbling in the burlap area a lot lately. Like decorating candles with it for V-Day: and burlaping the back of my bookcase: (I bought way too much burlap, and now I have to find uses for it. No complaints though, I love burlap.)

Oh I LOVE the pendants! (And the hood, but the pendants especially.)

Also, I was editing a book last night (my book – and no it’s not good) and I was like “OMG Sherry is probably doing the exact same thing right now.

And my husband was like “You need to spend less time on the internet.”

Hope all of your editing is going swimmingly.

Haha- thanks Lauren! Got through my first pass, so now I’m going back through it to revisit all my little post-its. Of which there are like 200. Haha. Tweak, tweak, tweak.

Good luck with your book! I bet it’s hilarious!

I have a love/hate relationship with Craigslist – LOVE the steals we get from it, but hate that I’m so addicted to spending a lot of time perusing all of the categories in case their MIGHT be something that we ‘need’ :)

Congrats on the awesome find!!!

Holy cow that is an awesome deal! I know lots of people get really good deals on Craigslist and sell a lot of stuff as well, but the idea freaks me out a bit. Have you have any bad experiences on Craigslist?

What an awesome deal! I wish Montana Craigslist was that good. It’s too funny how similar some of our kitchen projects are. We chose a boxed in vent hood too. If you’re going to build a frame around it, here’s what we did: Of course you can make it any shape and then you’re just adding pretty details after.

Oh, I love the pendants, too! It’s going to be so preeetyyy.

We contemplated it, but have also heard they’re really yellow and that’s not really our thing, so we think we’re gonna pass. It’s a shame because they’re so dang good looking.

• EHS says

What kind of bulbs work with with those pendants besides edisons?

I’ve seen so many pendants like those and I always wonder: “what if a law is passed and I can no longer buy bulbs that work in the expensive lights I just bought….?” This thought has scared me out of buying many a pretty pendant.

Craiglist scores are the best. We sold our old oil heater on it and a fridge. Then we saw a Rinnai monitor heater almost brand new for about 1/4 of the cost as new so we bought it with the money from the oil heater (we got rid of oil entirely – we exclusively use wood with one monitor heater as backup for the {never}days we go on vacation). Then my husband saw some super high-end nice woodworking equipment for sale – in our town (it’s a small town, so that really is a find) and he went right over and bought them, again for less than 50% of retail with some of the money from the fridge sale.

Craigslist really is the shiz. I would be careful about kissing it on the mouth though, you might end up with an unintended disease. ;)

9. Sarah says

I can’t wait to see the ORB lights in place! I think you made the right choice – it will look so snazzy with the rich, cork floors!