Never Before Seen Footage

How do you like that sensationalized title? Haha. It’s like Star Magazine up in this joint. This is basically a post idea that John and I came up with when we realized that there were a surprising amount of nooks and crannies in the house that we’ve never shared. And some things that are a lot bigger than a nook or a cranny. Which is weird for two over-sharers like us. So consider that remedied now that we’re over-spilling the beans in true Petersik fashion. Without further ado, here’s the first we-can’t-believe-we-haven’t-shared-it-yet thing. Our pantry:

We’ve mentioned that we have a pantry-ish cabinet next to the wall oven in our kitchen…

… but realized that we never opened wide and snapped a shot. All the cabinetry in the kitchen was replaced around 25 years ago, so the swing out doors and the little middle compartment that also swings out (so there’s storage on the back and on the wall behind it) must have been quite the state of the art stuff back in the day. Heck, we’re still kind of charmed by all of those little shelves to stash stuff – although we do occasionally forget where we put something which leads to a ten minute cabinet swinging search party.

Ok moving on, betcha didn’t know we had an in-ground irrigation system. Fancy, right? Since I’m not fancy I just use the term sprinklers. It’s not for our whole almost-acre lot, just for the front yard and a small portion of the backyard that’s grass. Of course we’re “frugal” with our water usage, so we only turn it on after a while without rain (when we’re not on water restriction of course), but they’re actually pretty handy (it definitely beats wrestling the hose). And Burger jumps off the couch/out of the bed and runs to the window if they turn on. Which is always hilarious. The guy loves watching them do their thing.

Up next is just an update that we’ve been meaning to share. Remember I mentioned that I got a rendering of our first house for John this Father’s Day? Well, I finally got around to framing it. First here’s a shot of the pretty little pen & ink + Prisma marker portrait:

The artist (Jennifer Ahnquist from Kentucky) also included this first-draft sketch in the envelope as well, which was really fun to see:

So here’s the portrait hanging up in our always-changing hallway frame gallery. We hung it nice and low (using the same affixed-to-the-wall-so-it’s-baby-safe method that we outlined here) since Clara loves saying “ohh hou” which is “bean-talk” for old house. So cute.

Oh and see the frame above it? That’s this page from a hand-me-down Boden catalog that my BFF left at my house. I loved the playful riff on “seize the day” so I just cut it out (following the imperfect background rectangle) and popped it into that frame. Can’t wait until Clara starts learning to read, since it’s down towards her level.

This never before seen tidbit might scare you in an is-that-the-vine-from-little-shop-of-horrors-and-will-it-try-to-eat-my-face kind of way. Yup, that’s right, the green leafy mass on the tree trunk next to our upper patio is a vine. It’s actually “hugging” a tall healthy oak tree (we had someone check things out, just to make sure), and apparently the vine down towards the base shouldn’t be invasive enough to do too much damage, but if it continues to grow and starts looking too heavy or the tree starts not-thriving we’ll be on it like white on rice.

And now for the that’s-a-shame thing that we’ve never really pointed out specifically. We love the extra wide reclaimed pine floors in our bedroom, but they desperately need some love. Check out the faded square in front of our dresser (our best guess is that some piece of furniture sat there for so long that the floor somehow faded around it).

It has also completely lost its seal, so the previous owners must have placed something brown here on the floor that was sucked right into the wood and stained it (floors with poly or some other sealer usually prevent this from happening). So refinishing it (along with a lot of other damaged areas of hardwood in our house) is definitely on the someday agenda.

We also ironically learned in the very last post about our first house how often we re-share the same angles of a room over and over again – but somehow miss taking shots from other vantage points. For example, we never shared a shot like this of the den (looking into the kitchen/laundry nook) until moving day when everything was packed up in the truck. So it makes us want to include mundane photos like this one of the hallway that connects Clara’s room, the playroom, the guest room, and the hall bathroom to the heart of the house (the hallway frame gallery/kitchen/dining room/living room, etc).

See that giant intake vent near the floor? I’m dying to add some sort of wainscoting to the hall, but I’m not sure how I can do it with this beast going on. Maybe just work it in around it and paint it glossy white and hope that it looks semi-seamless?

Ok, and here’s the thing that will probably surprise everyone the most. This is the south-west corner of our house:

Yup, it’s pointy. The entire sunroom actually slants up. Which definitely threw us off during our walk-through since the rest of the house is so mid-century and ranch-ish. This room was added in the 90’s, so that might explain the different look. But it’s actually a really airy and light-filled room from the inside – thanks to that lofted ceiling:

So it has lots of potential and we’re happy to have it – strange slanting-up roof and all. We actually have a few ideas for trying to integrate it down the road when it comes to the exterior, but who knows where we’ll end up. One thing is for sure: we’ll keep you posted. Probably in that typical over-sharing fashion that we know so well.

Is anyone on the floor? Come on, somebody tell me that something shocked them. Probably not. I wish we had crazier house secrets (although I do have a recurring dream about discovering a hidden room). Wouldn’t that rock?

Psst- Speaking of dreams, I actually had one about Beyonce last night. But the real one (as opposed to the chicken one that we mentioned yesterday). We bought a tiny horseshoe shaped necklace together (it was $100 so I put in $40 and said “you’re the rich one, so do you mind doing $60?). Ugh, I’m even embarrassingly cheap in my dreams. But Beyonce was cool with it. The oddest thing is the concept (how on earth were Beyonce and I going to share a necklace? Are we together so much that swapping it back and forth is easy?). So strange.

Comments

1. Amber says

You guys sure do love you some granola bars (it’s ok, I do too) haha. I loved seeing the drawing of your first house. Look at you guys being all fancy smancy with that sprinkler system! I think that is what I was most shocked about.

2. Allison says

Hey! Thought I’d share since I just got my own tutorial from our contractor on refinishing old hardwood with lots of faded marks and stains. I rented him a big sander but he barely used that since those don’t work as well. He got down on hands and knees and sanded our whole LR and DR (which isn’t huge – maybe 10×10 and 12×10) with a hand sander – the kind similar to what you used to sand your (awesome) 13 ft. desktop. He said handsander has the be the oribital kind of hand sander — not the vibrating one (which I use to said tabletops and such). Oribtal hand sander – then use wood bleach on the stubborn stained areas. And buy loads of medium grit paper (100 sheets for our size), then about 30 fine grit to smooth it out. We didn’t stain them – left them natural (it’s a beach bunglaow) and just polyied (sp?) over and they look beautiful. Still some minor imperfections but that’s part of the charm, right?

3. heather says

I wasn’t shocked by the roof per say, but my first thought was “that would be a nightmare to get snow off of” hahaha. Perpetually worried about roof collapses.

4. Melissa says

Ok so my husband would probably kill me for saying this but I have to. lol He had a dream about Beyonce once and I only know because I had gotten up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I come back in the room and start crawling across the bed and he is reaching out in his sleep saying “Beyonce you ain’t ready for this jelly.” hahahaha I about died it was so funny. Anyhow on another note I love the pantry and the slanted roof, very cool.

I am disappointed in myself that I had not already figured out that the sunroom must come to a point! :) The inside windows totally tell that story, I just missed it… Also, the house rendering looks great framed. Reading about the bean-talk got me excited for the day that Clara gives the house tour. :)

6. Cheri s says

A few months ago when I found your site….I looked high and low for an exterior shot of your sunroom. It looks about like I imagined it must! Our house is similar to yours, with a family room addition off the back and a screen porch addition built on that. This puts a narrow alley between our kitchen and screen porch….and leaves us scratching our heads.

Squeeze the day!

My maple floors are finished with Bona Traffic (which several readers, inluding myself, recommended when you mentioned your wood floors some time back). It’s been great, but after a year, there’s a faint but visible fade line around the rug in our master bedroom (which gets a lot of sun). Like a Sponge Bob Square Pants crime scene outline. Still, I’d take a water-based finish (like Bona) over oil-based any day.

Your secrets are funny. My household secrets would have people dropping on the floor. Here’s a secret I will share: There is a ledge above our stairs going down to our basement that I have NEVER cleaned. It’s disgusting and I am scared of it. LOL. Someday, I will get around to it. It’s just so out of sight, out of mind (deliberately).

9. Michelle says

Totally diggin the pointy roof. Also, I’m NEW here!!! But I must say, I am truley obsessed with your blog. You inspired me to paint and reupholster two $2 thrift store chairs as my first DIY. YAY! Anywho, thanks for keeping my entertained at work!!

10. Felicity says

My husband and I just bought our first home. I came across your blog when I was googling DIY decorating!! Love the page. Question- What color is your kitchen? Or living room? I am painting our kitchen next weekend, and I LOVE your colors!
    Thanks.
    Felicity

11. Mollie says

I actually had a dream about you guys several weeks ago and didn’t share because I didn’t want to come off as a total creep-o. Welp, here goes it: I randomly ran into you guys shopping and started chatting and you had a little boy with you who I asked about. John said that it was his son from a relationship ten years ago, but didn’t want to disclose it on the blog fearing that it would put a damper on his wholesome image. (!!!) I remember being CRUSHED in my dream thinking what else is a lie?

like what the heck is wrong w/ me dreaming of such a thing??

happy weekend and don’t be mad at john for his behavior in my dream. i had a dream once where my bf cheated on me and i remained chilly at him through at least breakfast, by no fault of his own. :)

• diana says

I didn’t share either: some days (a week or so) ago, I dreamed I bumped into the Petersiks at the mall’s playground, and they had a little boy who was older than Clara, but still a toddler. And he was hidden from the blogworld for an understated but not disclosed reason. He had a name too, but I don’t remember. At the time I thought that it was a lesson for me, not to check the blog before bedtime (the second post of the day comes up at about 23:00 in my timezone, and sometimes I wait for it and read it in bed, falling asleep in the comments, and I sleep half of the night with the laptop on my tummy. Well, thank YOU, Sherry and John, it’s nice how it keeps my tummy warm!)

Wow- two different dreams about a secret older boy! I would have loved to hear his name. We have a bunch of girl names that we like but might have name trouble if we have a boy someday. Maybe his name in your dream was the missing link. Haha.

OMG, LOVE the pantry! What are the dimensions of that cabinet? If I can, I am totally going to copycat you on that!

I dream ALL the time that I have a hidden room. In my dream, I keep saying, “I can’t wait to wake up and see this room in real life!!!”. It’s so real that every time, when I wake up and realize it was just a dream, I get all disappointed and sad.

Hah, I was totally just going to ask the dimensions. We are putting in a pantry in our kitchen and I’ve been looking for practical storage ideas. Off to send a pic to my dad to see if he can copy this :)