A Weird Milestone

We passed a weird milestone on Wednesday. On the surface, it just marked seven months of living in this shouldn’t-call-it-new-anymore house. Then we realized it also marked the point at which Clara has spent more of her life living here than at our first home.

We always knew our first house would just be a foggy blip on Clara’s memory radar, but passing this milestone feels like it’s actually happening. The house that we spent renovating/loving for over 4.5 years meant so much to me and Sherry – it wasn’t just our first home, it was our wedding venue, our DIY testing grounds, our inspiration to start this blog, and where we took our baby home from the hospital. But it’s already becoming “that place I lived for a few months back when I was a baby” to Clara. Sigh.

Here’s her almost seven-month-old self checking out her new room back on moving day.

And here she is over seven months later. Such a big girl. Still pretty bald though.

We’re really glad she (and Burger) took so well to the new house. And we’re more than a little fond of it ourselves. It’s just funny to think that a house that meant so much to us won’t be much more than “oh yeah, that place” to Clara. Thankfully she’ll have no shortage of photos and videos to remember it by (like this vid that we made just for her before we moved).

Do any of you have a childhood home that you only remember vaguely? Or do you get most of your memories jogged by pictures and your parents’ stories? I lived in the same house for my entire childhood, but Sherry moved around a few times, and only remembers “the drop ceiling in the basement that she and the boys would ‘accidentally’ break all the time” from her first one. At least Clara’s memory of her first house won’t involve destruction. Unless you count all the DIY that she witnessed.

Update- We just got Clara’s monthly pic done, check it out here. We’ve got a walker!!

1. Amber Kanady says

My husband and I are currently living in the home that I lived in as a child. The home has always been in the family but after our wedding we decided to move back to North Texas. The house is very old (1950ish) and needs tons of repairs we are def. enjoying the adventure. I have so many memories in that house as a child, I am so thankful that I get to share those memories with my husband and our future kids along with making tons more. : )

I think in these sort of weird milestones ALL THE TIME! When our house was being built, we lived with my in-laws for 10 months. I couldn’t wait to get past the 10 months in our house because I felt like then our cats would think of it as “home” more than grandma’s was. It’s going to take a few more years before we pass up how much time we spent in our condo :) (though our new house is definitely more of a home now!)

What a great idea for a video! The sunroom is beautiful too. I think I’d eat breakfast there everyday.

I wish I had a video of my old house. We moved when I was 6 months old across Canada and I lived in that house until university. I bet I’d get a kick out of all the 80s features now… Red shag carpet, anyone?

4. Liz says

I lived in the same house from the time I was born until I moved out 18 years later. My parents actually only sold it about 3 months ago, which was very emotional for everyone in my family. I have 5 siblings and we all actually came back to say goodbye to our home. I’m so glad that my daughter was able to spend time there and get to know it at grandma and grandpas house too.

My family moved when I was 6 years old. I remember the house pretty well, but some of the details are apparently off. I always remember my bedroom as an ugly shade of olive green and burnt orange, but my mother assures me that it was in fact honeydew green and a pastel orange. I thought she was remembering it wrong, but then she pointed me to this old dresser that came from my old room and matched it exactly. It was honeydew green. My mind boggled. I can’t picture it as honeydew green. The whole house is olive green in my mind, but my mother tells me none of it was.

I’m not sure what to make of that. Did my developing eyes actually see it as olive green back then when it was a much more pleasant color? I’ll never know for sure.

Glad to hear y’all are sentimental like me…I cry (only a little) when I get a new car! We are in the process of buying, and I know I will be sad to leave our current home, for similar reasons as you. Helping my Mom clean up my childhood home to sell was also sad. I get it guys, but I know you are looking forward to making tons of memories in this new house. Thanks for sharing!

• Kim S says

Kara, I totally understand about the new car sort-of-sadness! I too cried (only a little) when I drove off the lot in my awesome new car and “abandoned” my old one (that I never even liked!). My husband definitely thought I was slightly crazy…in a cute way…I hope. :o)

• hjc says

Our youngest son actually locked himself in our old van at the car lot when we bought a new van. I can’t imagine what he’d do if we moved from the only house he’s ever lived in!

I have no memory of the first two places I lived. But the third had concrete back steps going down to the back yard. My brother (1 at the time, 4 more to go) and I would pretend it was a stagecoach and we were the driver and passenger. That and the secret playground, which I actually found again with my own son a couple of years ago.

8. Izzy says

I lived in two houses before my parents moved to the one they live in now – one was a condo for the first few months of my life and then to another house until just before I started school. I don’t remember much about either – the second one, I remember the neighbors, my 2nd birthday party in the backyard, and the HUGE Christmas tree we used to have because of the high ceilings.

9. ann says

we moved almost every year until I was about 8 years old and then about every 2-3 years until I was in highschool. when I try to remember each house they all kinda blur together into a very pleasant montage of family game nights, birthdays, and holidays. It’s weird to not always be able to say “oh yeah, that’s what the living room looked like in such and such house” but overall it’s not a bad thing. Plus, each of those moves was an adventure!

I lived in 11 different houses growing up. I remember most except for the very early ones. My husband and I built and plan to stay here a long time….kind of weird not moving every 2 years!

The only time we moved was when I was 8 years old. Family friends actually bought our house so I still sort of grew up there too! It was a good way to preserve some memories there. My parents are still in that second house, and I get so heartsick when they talk about moving into a smaller home. Funny how houses carry so much attachment to our hearts!

12. Suzanne says

Throughout my childhood we moved a LOT. I lived in 12 different homes/condos/apartments from NY to NC before the age of 18–some for only a few months, some for many years (no, not an army brat). In college til now I’ve moved by myself 3 times in 6 years (creature of habit?). And I remember all of them thanks to the lots of pictures my mama took. So fear not! I think your little birdie will stake her claim to your first love nest.

Being a child of constant change I think I would like my kids to have John’s experience of planting roots and sticking around long enough to watch the whole garden grow, bloom, and even bear fruit (did I lose you with my silly metaphor?) I think you get the picture.

PS You’ve inspired me to do a little DIYing in my new casa.

Change is good :)

13. Jeri says

I was lucky enough to get to revisit my childhood home a few years ago before it was sadly torn down. It was just as cool as I remembered – awesome view overlooking the town, 2 stair cases, double decker sun porches, and the wall paper that my mom had put up in my room was still there (I torn down a swatch of it to keep forever, of course!). So many memories. That new house that was built there just doesn’t compare.

14. Rhiana says

I love your video! My little man is almost 3 and I love watching videos of him as a baby because you forget their favorite games and toys and I love listening to his baby noises :). I bet she will love the video when she is older!