A Weird Milestone

We passed a weird milestone on Wednesday. On the surface, it just marked seven months of living in this shouldn’t-call-it-new-anymore house. Then we realized it also marked the point at which Clara has spent more of her life living here than at our first home.

We always knew our first house would just be a foggy blip on Clara’s memory radar, but passing this milestone feels like it’s actually happening. The house that we spent renovating/loving for over 4.5 years meant so much to me and Sherry – it wasn’t just our first home, it was our wedding venue, our DIY testing grounds, our inspiration to start this blog, and where we took our baby home from the hospital. But it’s already becoming “that place I lived for a few months back when I was a baby” to Clara. Sigh.

Here’s her almost seven-month-old self checking out her new room back on moving day.

And here she is over seven months later. Such a big girl. Still pretty bald though.

We’re really glad she (and Burger) took so well to the new house. And we’re more than a little fond of it ourselves. It’s just funny to think that a house that meant so much to us won’t be much more than “oh yeah, that place” to Clara. Thankfully she’ll have no shortage of photos and videos to remember it by (like this vid that we made just for her before we moved).

Do any of you have a childhood home that you only remember vaguely? Or do you get most of your memories jogged by pictures and your parents’ stories? I lived in the same house for my entire childhood, but Sherry moved around a few times, and only remembers “the drop ceiling in the basement that she and the boys would ‘accidentally’ break all the time” from her first one. At least Clara’s memory of her first house won’t involve destruction. Unless you count all the DIY that she witnessed.

Update- We just got Clara’s monthly pic done, check it out here. We’ve got a walker!!

• Nicole says

Was teary-eyed while reading this….we have a 14 month old ( I believe he is only a few days older than Clara ) and are getting ready to move into a second home. We have lived in our current home for 7 years and have become a family in it. We have found a bigger newer house in a better safer neighborhood and school district but cannot help but wonder if it is the right thing. I am so emotionally attached to our current home since we have completely remodeled it and it is where I brought my baby home. How and why did u decide to move from your first house? Just wanting advice and encouragement…this has been so hard for me. I can’t imagine how I will be when we close on it and I lock the door and step out for the last time. :(

Here’s the post about deciding to sell and where we both were (and came to be): http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/09/blogiversary-iii-on-the-move/

And here’s a post about all the things we never wanted to forget about our first house (making a list to “capture” them all was really therapeutic): http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/11/in-the-words-of-rose-from-titanic/

It seemed so sad to leave when we first started talking about it, but slowly we got more excited to just take a look and see what was out there. Then we found our new house and our hearts filled with excitement about all of the adventures and memories we’d acquire there, so there wasn’t much room for sadness. Sounds weird but that’s really what happened. Good luck with everything! Oh and when it came to locking the door for the last time, we were so rushed and ready to get into the new house that there wasn’t really a big sad moment at all. We just cleaned our way out, shut the door, locked it, went out for breakfast, and headed over to the closing and the new house. All in one day – it was a whirlwind, but maybe being busy was a good thing!

It is a little sad, but there will be so many memories in this new home. We moved when I was 4 so I barely remember our family’s first house but when we drive past it, I know which one it is.

Oh, and if Clara starts to feel bad about being bald, let her know she’s not alone. I was bald until I was at least 2 and now it grows faster than I can handle!

Clara is adorable. I was more bald than Clara when I was 3 years old, her hair will come in soon and she’ll probably have a lot of it. I now have the thickest hair of anyone I know!

Aww, that’s a sweet milestone. :o)

My husband has weird pieces of memories from when he lived in Hawaii. And they moved away from there when he ws two. Pretty amazing. So you never know, Clara just may have a few random memories of the old house.

4. Courtney says

That might be the cutest pic of you and Clara I’ve ever seen. It must be nice to have such a smiley little lady! So glad you both enjoy the new home.. Clara and I have one thing in common.. the hometown of RIC! Congrats on the reno of the new house thus far!

I lived in the same house growing up and now I work there! My parents have been there for 34+ years. It has changed a lot over the years but I still love it!

I was 3 years old when my mom moved me from Orlando to Atlanta, then I moved about once every 18 months on average until I was 7….so there are lots of houses that I vaguely remember! I’m like Sherry in that there are random things you remember about the house. One had train tracks running just past the backyard, one came with a bar and a hot tub, and I’ll always remember the snow being so high on Christmas morning at the house in Buffalo that it almost completely blocked the windows.

This post is so sweet. It reminds me to take lots of pictures and videos of every single moment we possibly can in our new house. I don’t want to ever forget a minute of our first house! We’ve been here for just over 2 months now and it’s been amazing every step of the way.

I have such a horrible memory (I remember almost nothing from my childhood or even my college years… and that was only last year) and pictures and videos are the only thing that keep events fresh in my mind :)

So sweet! I’m sure our baby boy will have vague memories of our first house as well. It’s such a big part of my husband and I, yet he’ll probably be too young to remember most of it (which is probably a good thing!) Nothing like your first house together, though! Love your new home :)

9. Lisa says

I have vague, hazy memories of the house I lived in until I was 5 years old. I would LOVE to get back in that house for 5 minutes to see if any of what I remember is what it actually looks like!

What I do remember is my Dad and I walking through the house before we moved out, and kissing the floors and the refrigerator goodbye. I will never forget that.

If you’re viewing from a smart phone it might not show up (it’s on Vimeo and those vids are funny for some reason). But if you click the link that says “the vid” it should take you to the post with that video and a link to it on youtube.com. Hope it helps!

I remember in preschool–I (and by “I”, I mean my dad) had made a “magic flip book” that made it look like something was moving as you flipped through it (like old school cartoons) and I left it in the bathroom and it got WET! My magic day was ruined, and (clearly) I am still pretty horrified about it…

Three years later–my mom permped my short, red hair and to this day i look at pictures and can only think of bozo. Really mom? Really?

But congrats on YOUR wonderful memories!!! :)

11. Alex says

Such a cute video :). Great idea too!

I don’t remember anything from my first home, ages 0-2. I’ve seen pictures though – just a tiny white square house on the military base