Budget Blooms: Birthday Leftovers

You may have noticed a bouquet in the middle of the table for Clara’s party two weeks ago.

Well, sadly some of those blooms are no longer among the living:

But there are a few that are still going strong, so I decided to drop them into three of my favorite vases (from Ikea a while back) for this happy little effect:

And yes, they’re on the windowsill in our bathroom. Just because I realized that we have never had any flowers in that room (there are all sorts of “firsts” in this house for me – including flowers in the bathroom) so I had to revel in the first-bathroom-blooms occurrence. It feels good to get back to the whole budget blooms thing (since we shared them on a monthly basis for almost two years and somehow forgot all about them since moving). I guess getting back to it symbolizes some sort of feeling-settled-enough-to-stop-and-smell-the-flowers thing. What blooms are you guys bringing home these days? How do you feel about super bright flowers like these (when I dumped the water out of the original vase it was neon pink). I think I usually prefer less or no dye, but for the bean’s big birthday bash, they were kind of perfect. And her daddy picked them out for her – how sweet.

Bonus post extension (because it’s Fridaaaaay baby):

To pick up where I left off yesterday with my end-of-Oprah denial at the bottom of this post, someone recommended that I Oprah-fy myself here on Oprah.com. So I did.

And then I Oprah-fied John.

It’s really helping me cope. Sadly it didn’t work too well with Burger or Clara. But the John one kills me. Especially those earrings. Feel free to Oprah-fy yourself (and post them on our Facebook page if you wanna share the hilarity). I’d love to see what you guys look like with big Oprah hair. I can’t wait. Literally, I’m on the edge of my seat.

Comments

I’m glad the flowers lasted so long! Sometimes a little dye in your flowers is okay, especially since the pink matched the party’s colors. It’ll be nice having you post the budget blooms again – and maybe you’ll even include some from the flowers that spring up at your house.

Aaand That Oprah-fy yourself is hilarious!! I’m going to do this when I get home.

I was wondering if you were going to start showing budget blooms again. I’m really loving Kermit mums. You know, the little, bright green ones. I got some for mother’s day and I still have most of them! Talk about long lasting. Mums are great for that. Also, we’re just starting to get lilacs, so I cut a few to bring inside to enjoy the smell. :) Happy Friday and Memorial weekend!

Hah!! Lovin’ the Oprahfication.

Ever notice that cheaper flowers last 3 weeks and expensive ones last 3 days?

We hardly ever have flowers around the house, but when we do I am firmly in the “no dye” camp.

Also, so sad about Oprah, even if I never really had time to watch her show.

the hilarity of the Oprah pics!!! Love it!! and p.s. SUPER excited for you guys to have a Homegoods move closer to you!! I understand how exciting that is!! Ours is a 7 minute drive away!! :-D

6. Kristina says

Ok, so what would Oprahfied John be called? Opron? Jonah? The flowers are beautiful. I have some Viola growning in my garden that I grew from seed. It’s so cute, half purple half yellow.

hahaha this is so funny. I want to be Oprah as soos as:))

and I love ikea vases and there are very cute every where.
    Enjoy your weekend…

I got some flowers at the farmers market last week and is it just me or does anyone else have problems w/organic flowers lasting? I find they die within a few days! Mine always end up with worms or bugs in them so I find little ‘dust’ trails on the table. Gross. I love supporting the local flower farmers but hate that they never last.

9. Hayley says

I’ve never even known flowers with dye in them. Maybe it’s a European thing and it’s banned over here? Honestly, I’ve never heard of it, or had flower water go any colour other than murky (yep, should change it more often). I love the flowers though, especially the second lease of life you gave them, they look really pretty as singles.

sherry..
    this is hilarious!! i also love to hear other people lamenting the end of the oprah show.. i was so sad to miss almost the entire final season because we have no cable traveling full time in our airstream, i kept saying how could i have watched for 20 years and miss the big ending?!
    thanks for oprahfying your friday post (: