Hanging Two Mirrors = Gaining Two Big Dry Erase Boards

In our last office we found that hanging a mirror helped keep us organized. Not just because we noticed if we had something on our face, but also because we could write on it with a dry erase marker to keep track of our to do list (and could even use it to write a welcome message to our guests since that room slept our friends and family as well).

When we moved I missed that little organizational corner, so I started taping a comically small piece of paper on the wall with a list of things to do. And then it grew into two lists, one on each side of the large doorway. The left one was entitled: “Posts To Write” and the right one was “Projects To Do.” Since we have a giant 300+ list of things we want to do in this house (see just a fraction of them here), selecting the next ten-ish tasks that we want to tackle helps keep us focused (and enables us to hone in on which things should be prioritized and which supplies we’ll have to pick up). Plus after we do projects it’s surprisingly easy to forget to blog about them since we’re so excited to bounce along to the next one. So keeping track of what we’ve done that’s waiting to be written about keeps us sane (and keeps our lag time from “did it in real life” to “blogged about it” as short as possible).

But for some reason not having an erasable surface was seriously hurting our update frequency. See how “limb up the magnolia” is on the list when we I already did that weeks ago? Not good.

So I padded back into the playroom (which is full of baskets, bedding, and a ton of frames and mirrors – seriously it’s where stuff goes to die in our house) and grabbed two semi-similarly-sized mirrors and asked John to hang them up. Yes, I outsourced the labor on that one (my favorite excuse: I gotta nurse the baby – it’s the one thing John can’t do so it works like a charm). And it left me free to “supervise” from the big green sofa while John got his hang on.

The result? Two dry erase boards for keeping track of “Projects To Do” and “Posts To Write.” They’re not perfect, but they look a lot better than those rarely updated little notebook pages that were taped to the wall (look no dining chairs, I pushed them all against the wall for vacuuming under the table and never pushed them back – go Team Lazy):

That picture above is what they would look like if we ever did everything on our to do list. Amazing.

But here’s what they actually look like with all of the projects and posts on our list:

Oh and that’s the blue dry erase marker on the top of the mirror on the right (since it’s deep enough to store it there). Maybe someday we’ll hunt down more of a mirror twin for one or the other (for a more balanced look) but for now we’re just happy to work with what we have. The most important thing is that we can now take pleasure in crossing things off of our list again. That’s a universally fun activity right? Now picture doing it with a dry erase marker that glides like butter over whatever you just accomplished. There’s nothing better I tell ya.

Comments

Did you notice any residue build up over time on the old mirror? I’m thinking about doing this on a massive but unflattering mirror that came with our rental – wouldn’t like to leave a trace!

• Ted says

Some dry erase markers will leave a slight film of color if you only dry erase the surface. To combat that, spray a very little bit of Windex on a paper towel and wipe. It will clean up all of the left over ink residue.

Good to know! Thanks Ted! I can’t believe I’m writing this, but sometimes I employ the spit-into-a-tissue and wipe method. Yikes, that’s pretty gross now that I wrote it down.

2. Elizabeth says

We totally do this as well — only in our master bathroom. We leave to-dos, love notes and draw funny things to crack each other up after getting out of the shower. The best part about this is when we have guests I snap a quick photo with my phone and erase and TADA we are clean and organized once again! :)

So cute. I am so obsessed with white-framed things currently!! You should use them to write little love notes and words of inspiration, too: “John, John he’s our man, if he can’t work with planks found in the backyard that were all sorts of unveven no one can!!!!!” ; (Can’t wait to see the results on that btw.)

First of all, two posts before noon just blew my mind!! Will there be a third? no pressure. Secondly, the mirrors look great! Sometimes I add things to my to do list that I have already done just so I can check it off. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself right?

• Jennie says

Krysta, so funny – I do the same thing! Actually a co-worker and I were just talking about this two days ago and we both admitted that we were “add it to the list just so we can cross it off” people. I feel so much more accomplished that way!

5. Erin says

I love crossing things off lists! Sometimes I add things I KNOW I am going to do just so I can cross something else off! Ha ha ha :)

• Carrie says

Sometimes I add stuff to my list AFTER I do it just so I can put the pretty little check mark next to it. :)
      I am so lame.

• Erin says

sometimes i write things like, “get dressed” just so i can cross it off…so bad but it makes me feel better :)

The walls will eventually get painted, so then they should pop a little more. We’re always down for painting things like mirrors too, so that’s a definite possibility!

Miraculously not yet! And we’ve used the method for around a year in our old house. I wonder if I’m just super conscious about how much that would annoy me so I steer clear of the edge. Haha.

Love this. We love dry erase markers at our house. An entire wall of my husband’s home office is a giant dry erase board that he uses for work-to-dos & brainstorming. But my favorite is the 5 x 7 frame in our master bathroom that say’s “I love you more than…” and then we use a dry erase marker to fill in all kinds of crazy things – depending on our mood. :) I also found a heart with “B + A” inside of a heart written on my washing machine one day. Yeah…we like to doodle around here. Glad we’re not the only ones!

I do this! (And I thought I was one of the only weird ones who do) I love to leave little love notes and honey-do’s on our bathroom mirror. Also, in college, I used to put spanish verbs on the mirror and say them in my head over and over again while brushing my teeth. I wouldn’t erase them until they were memorized.

8. Andrea says

I was going to post too about the frame and scrapbook paper method, which worked for me … Til I realized I need a body-size frame for my list! Love that I can change out the paper, too, so I can move it to any room.