Monster Eyeballs

Three cheers for a $12 fifteen minute project that makes us giggle. Because sometimes you just gotta laugh. We switched out the old knobs on our dining room built-ins.

The first step is to put on your safety goggles and protective gloves. Kidding. The first step is to unscrew the old ones and the second step is to screw in the new ones. So easy. Here’s a little in-progress action shot for ya:

And here are the new ones all “installed”:

But back to the whole monster eyeballs thing. When I fell in love with these greeny-yellow knobs at Hobby Lobby (for $1.50 a pop thanks to a 50% off sale), it never crossed my mind that they’re a bit similar to the eyeball-esque hardware that we inherited with our kitchen. Remember this weird (and wonderful?) post about that?

Anyway, somehow we missed that they might look like monster eyeballs (you know, because some monsters have yellow ones instead of white ones) until we got them home and screwed them in and John started laughing about the obvious (but not to us until that moment) similarity. Although somehow in yellow and oil-rubbed bronze they feel a bit less eyeball-y and more playful and eclectic than the more cartoon-ish black & white ones in the kitchen. At least that’s what we’re telling ourselves.

We love them anyway. Monster eyeballs be darned.

Especially with the teal backing of the built-ins above them – such a fun color combo.

Thankfully from most vantage points they look more like fun yellow knobs than body parts of any kind (but from Clara’s line of sight they might continue to look like monster eyeballs for a while, which she might get a kick out of). Either way, once the walls go soft gray and we add curtains and art and chairs and a big opening to the kitchen we’re sure the knobs will hardly be the focal point. We could probably get little alien butt knobs and no one would notice.

So that’s a little $12 makeover that makes us smile (and makes our built-ins feel fun and kinda funky). Sidenote: I hate the word funky. It always makes me think of smelly feet or old cheese.

New theory: every house needs at least a few monster eyeballs. We have nine thanks to the one on the closet door in the guest room.

Methinks that’s just enough.

Comments

1. Jessica says

wow-they really do look like monster eyeballs! I can’t see anything else now! :) I’m currently choosing knobs/pulls for our kitchen redo, so I can understand how you gotta go with what you love. But I would be giggling every time I saw them if they lived in my house, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, giggling is good right?

• Kaitlin says

I have these exact same knobs on my dresser! I LOVE the color. The knobs are a lot farther apart on my drawers than they are on your cabinets, but I still giggle at the thought of them looking like eyeballs every time. Especially when one drawer is closed and the drawer below it is slightly open because then it looks like a googly-eyed monster with an open, goofy grin. Makes me smile :)

Hehe, thanks for the giggle! I looked back at the progress shots from this morning and they are totally in there too.. but they don’t look like eyeballs from across the room! Phew!

Haha, yeah it’s just when you get close and eye-level, so Clara might be the only one to notice. Actually she might like that they look like monster eyeballs too. Haha. Bonus.

• Snickrsnack Katie says

Um, yeah, sorry – but these look like yellow boobs. With giant nipples. No likey.

But hey, whatever floats your boat! :)

3. KiM says

I kinda liked them until I saw the side picture of them, and well, they reminded me of boobs. :( Not ok. LOL

• CC says

That’s hilarious that you said that! When there ended up being a total of nine, I started singing an old song from Sesame Street, which I now can’t get out of my head:

“She’s my real martian beauty
      She’s my number nine cutie
      She has nine hairs on her head
      1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
      Tied up in ribbons of red

She has nine little eyes
      All the same size
      Looking up, down, round, and straight ahead…”

• Kelly says

I agree- I hate these ones! I’m all for fun accents and blasts of color, but these just don’t do it for me. And I love the color- not against the white though. But hey, it’s not my house, eh?!

• Lindsay says

I agree – I actually thought the old ones gave a little vintage look which contrasted well with the shelves. I’m not a fan of these knobs, but they’re just not my personal style, but it’s not my house : )

Totally cute! Nothing like a quick hardware update to add a quick bit of pop to furniture and built-ins. Thinking about doing the same on my living room built-ins because the shiny brassy knobs just aren’t doing it for me anymore!

That just cracked me up. The 2 posts today also broke up the monotony of the rainy Thursday. :) I love the fun color and that it sneaks into the guest room as well. Unfortunately I’m a crazy-face so when I saw the side shot I thought of another part of human anatomy and then giggled like a 12 yr old boy. Oh man. Working with kids has really taken its toll.

The dining room built-ins look amazing! :)

6. Kim says

O my gosh, I thought the same thing!!! Nippling came to mine actually when I saw the side shot. How bad are we today… Love the house John and Sherry. I am especially envious of your wonderful bedroom and nice spacious living room and what you’ve done to it so far. I am so inspired by you!

7. Barbara says

I came here to say what KiM did…eyeballs from the front, boobs from the side. I think maybe you might want to think about those knobs some more….

8. Lexi says

I just put the exact same hobby lobby pull on a vanity I refinshed a few weeks ago. Now, I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to look at the vanity with our seeing the Monster Eyeball staring back. Love it!

9. Jacci says

I just keep marvelling at how *different* your choices in this house have been. Does it have to do with Clara? Do you think having her made you want to go with the bright colors? I know each house needs what it needs (our current house had different design needs than our previous home), but it seems like you guys have almost completely overhauled your aesthetic? can you give us the skinny on what the big change was for you. it seemed like it all started w/ Clara’s nursery…