The Dog House

Some of you have asked how Burger’s getting along in the new house. Short answer: great. Short answer with a fancy Mary-Poppins-ish twist: just splendidly.

It only took him a day or two to figure out where his food bowl now lives and which door to wait at when he needs to go out. Other than that, he seems to be having fun discovering (and re-discovering) his favorite spots to hang. Here are some shots from the last two months to document his love for the new casa.

This one was taken pretty much right after we moved in. He quickly identified this sun-warmed corner of the rug in the living room and loved to park his keister there every morning.

It was part of his very own GTL routine – growl, tan, lick myself. Yes, we watch Jersey Shore since it’s my wife’s home state.

Though that routine has been interrupted by the introduction of Karl the sectional (since he blocks the sunspot), Burger has discovered a few new sun-drenched locations lately- including the windowsill itself. He’s such a cat sometimes. Here he is snuggled up in Clara’s hospital blanket (we brought it home for him to get used to her scent and now it’s his official “blankie”).

Sometimes he’ll move his relaxing into one of our laps, which really is a win-win for everyone on a cold morning.

And occasionally he even helps supervise Clara during playtime. Although he tends to sleep on the job. Unless of course a noise is heard outside. Then all howl breaks loose. See what I did there? I replaced h-e-double-hockey-sticks with the word howl. Booyah.

But when he’s not campaigning for the laziest chihuahua in the world title, he does his fair share of “quality control” – which basically means he helps us test out new purchases. Like our duvet:

And our new sectional pillows (even before the sectional was here, we tossed them on the sleeper sofa in the office and Burger took them for a test ride):

He also manages to squeeze in some playtime too, usually with his favorite toy: Divalectible. It was a gift (for Clara, actually) that Burger took an enthusiastic liking to. Don’t judge us for the name of this tiny stuffed chihuahua with a pink feather boa on it (Divalectible is actually its given “Beanie Baby name” and somehow it stuck). But feel free to judge Sherry for the weird noise that she makes during this video. I call it her “excited dolphin call.” She does it to get the dog to come a runnin’. Just not usually in public. Or on youtube.

Of course, it should come as no surprise that Burger continues to spend most of his days under the covers. So even though there’s a whole new house for him to explore, we’ve definitely got the same ol’ Burger on our hands.

So that’s what our oldest kiddo has been up to when he’s not “supervising” as we paint or demo something around the house. Life’s good when you’re an eight pound chihuahua.

Psst- If all goes well we might just have another post today or tomorrow for ya. Let’s just say that we’ve finally started gaining guest bedroom momentum (with just 6 days until the inlaws arrive – yikes) so we’re most likely working away as you read this. And Burger’s probably supervising.

Comments

I can’t get over how happy and adorable Clara is! She is just too cute watching Burger go back and forth while playing fetch. It kinda makes me want to get a dog, maybe even tiny like Burger, so we have one when we have kiddos. Gotta love free entertainment!

2. debbie says

You guys are the “picture perfect” family!! You have THE MOST adorable daughter I have eva seen….and Burger is the cutest dog eva!! I look forward every day to see what you guys are up to-(love that you post couple times a day too)!! Thanks for sharing it all!!

3. Katie C says

I wasn’t sure where to post this (because it’s not related), but I just checked out Clara’s photo for this week, and my first thought (after “awww!,” of course) was “I LOVE that fabric!” and then immediately, “And it even coordinates perfectly with Sue the Napkin!” I hope you’re planning to use it somewhere in the house!

Seriously! As she posed I was like “hmm, maybe we should use this to recover the bamboo chairs we got from the thrift store. But sadly it’s too thin. Maybe I’ll double up (use something thick and white and then cover it with this fabric). Could be fun!

Aww I love burger – he’s got such personality! :) (love the crossed paws in his sunspot picture)

Also – seriously – I’m sorry – Clara is the CUTEST thing on the face of this earth! She is ALWAYS SO HAPPY!!! Do you guys only post happy pics, or is she really just like that all of the time? It kills me how happy that kid always looks! :)

She’s a pretty happy girl. I mean she does get sleepy or hungry and become kinda whiny, but for the most part she’s just an amazing little chill girl who loves to permasmile. We hit the baby jackpot. Both of our parents agree that we’re spoiled and our next kid will likely kill us. Haha.

5. Linda O says

Ha ! Love the dolphin noise. Thought for a minute you had a bird. Great video. Burger tick ticking across the floor. Clara looking at him with such joy!! Glad you got it on tape.

Love this post! Anything dog related is always good! Glad the Burger is adjusting well and him and Clara get along.

My family is having our family reunion at the Jersey Shore this summer. My mom grew up on the east coast, so lots of her family is still there. I have to say, our vacations there haven’t been as crazy as Jersey Shore on MTV, but it sure is funny to watch!

Happy Friday!

7. Lisa says

cute adorable video!
    you all look/sound very happy like debbie said.
    are there ever any days that you aren’t having the best of days all together?
    i’d love to read a post about days where you wake up snapping at eachother, not agreeing, etc…that would be funny to read. i remember reading a post on your friend katie’s site when she got into an arguement with her husband, she said, but then they made up after.
    thanks for all the inetersting posts!:)

my favorite part is just watching clara and how much she loves burger and is entertained by him. too adorable!

burger reminds me so much of my dog, though mine is a pug and miniature pinscher mix. laying in the sunlight, reminding us of a cat, sleeping on pillows and snuggling under the bed covers (he doesn’t get out of bed until like 2pm!)

9. Serah says

Oh my gosh that picture of Burger with the pillows is beyond precious! Also, Clara is so cute in that youtube video…how can you stand all the cuteness?! Thanks for bringing me some sunshine on this rainy Portland (OR) day!

Loved the GTL reference. I’m glad Burger is settling in so well. We’ve moved enough times with the navy that we now know how to make sure our dog settles in quickly. That first move before we knew was bad—the first time we left him alone in the house he was so stressed out he ate the arm of one of my favorite stuffed chairs. Little bits of foam and fabric everywhere! Luckily he hasn’t done that again!