Now Our Guests Can Shower

Progress has been made in the guest bathroom, folks. Which is good news since we’re less than 30 hours away from the arrival of Sherry’s mom and stepdad. Our first score was finding a shower curtain. Despite being burned by pattern in our last shower curtain attempt, we bought this guy at Target on Friday for about $20.

It definitely still looks kinda rough in there (still have to paint the walls and hang art, but we don’t think we’ll get to that before the inlaws arrive, uh, tomorrow). But getting back to the shower curtain, we think the pattern works much better because it’s bigger when it comes to the scale. The large medallions don’t compete with the tiny square tile on the walls and floor like the smaller scale yellow pattern in the last one we grabbed. The dark brown also introduced some nice contrast since the yellow tiles and off-white walls were sort of washing out the rest of the space. And because our old guest room bedding – which we plan to reuse – includes brown & white, while the walls in there are blue, this curtains sort of ties things together.

Then once we had the curtain finalized (and picked up a cheap white fabric liner to keep this guy from getting drenched, also from Target), we turned our attention to the bathmat – or the lack thereof. We originally brought home a brown one that matched the curtain but it was waaaay too dark. And walking into a bathroom to see a big brown spot on the floor wasn’t the most, um, clean looking choice.

So we went back to Target and picked up three other options for a little bath mat fashion show (Sherry may or may not have clapped and chanted “fashion show, fashion show” as we made our purchase). First we tried this square one that almost blended right into the floor completely.

No dice. It just looked kinda dirty and blah.

Our next choice was the polar opposite. We decided to try a more colorful rectangular mat to pick up those blue tones in the curtain (and the adjoining deep teal guest bedroom).

We didn’t really mind this one. It matched the curtain nicely and certainly would help us achieve our goal of bringing more color into the house.

But when we saw the third option we knew it was “the one.” It just felt crisp and tailored without being matchy-matchy. The stripes are a fun counterpart to the circles in the curtain (the white and brown tones in each one keeps them related in a fun mixed & matched way).

What can we say? I guess even though we’re embracing more color, we’re still suckers for crisp white stuff from time to time. Especially with there’s a white toilet, sink, and mirror in there (so it automatically ties right in). I guess when it comes to bathrooms, nothing trumps clean white linens for us (99.9% of hotels that we’ve stayed at always have plush white towels and bathrobes, so we want our guests to feel like Casa Petersik is just as spa-like and inviting). Long story short, we had a bath mat fashion show winner. So we hoisted it up and sang For He’s A Jolly Good Fellow, removed the tag, and returned the others.

We also accomplished a few hardware updates yesterday. The most needed of which was a new toilet seat, since the old one boasted several chips in the lid and tears in the soft seat (and we’re not really fans of the soft toilet seat thing anyways). Here’s the least offensive shot of the old toilet seat that shows off some of those chips on the lid. We refrained from sharing the open lidded shots since we know some of you eat breakfast slash drink coffee while reading. You’re welcome.

Replacing a toilet seat isn’t rocket science, nor is it a very glamorous job. But I did my best to enjoy the process, and even flashed a thumbs up at the wife as she snapped this pic.

The whole switcheroo brought back memories of when I used a toilet seat for a 9th grade science project where I had to illustrate the anatomy of a mollusk (i.e. clams). In case you were wondering, toilet seats take well to dry erase markers. Yes, I really am that dorky. Go Team Mollusk.

We also replaced the old rusted shower head. It functioned just fine (the water pressure was great and there were thankfully no leaks to deal with) but it just didn’t look very nice.

So we sprung for the cheapest multi-setting shower head at Target (it was $14) in an effort to fancy things up a smidge.

And after using some serious elbow grease to get the old one off, the new one went on within 60 seconds. So shiny, right? I can even see myself in it.

Speaking of being in it, I actually took the shower for a test run shortly after this installation. I figured if anything weird or gross was going to happen in the first use of this shower, I wanted it to happen to me and not my mother-in-law. Fortunately things were all good. In fact, the water pressure is better in there than our master bedroom. Lucky guests.

Last but not least was a quick zero-cost change. After removing the mirror on inside of the bathroom door (awkward!), we realize we were missing towel hooks… ’til we discovered them on the other side of the door while painting this weekend. Seriously, in the two months that we’ve lived here we never once closed the door to the guest bathroom to discover those towel hooks hiding back there until a few days ago. So I just unscrewed them from the back and reattached them to the inside of the door where they’ll actually be seen and used (and Sherry spackled and painted the leftover holes on the lesser seen back side of the door).

We’ve still got a few other things (like towels, and maybe some art) to make the room look more complete and guest-ready, but at least it’s completely functional now. Stay tuned for pics of the whole room after Sherry gets her kicks by adding a few accessories. And we still have to share our progress in the guest room. Which we’re most likely working away on as you read this post.

In the meantime, have you guys made any recent bathroom upgrades? Or do you have any tips to share about how you get a guest bathroom ready for guests (besides buying some shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste – which is already on our to-do list along with fluffy towels and a few washcloths)? This is our first time having to furnish a devoted guest bathroom that we don’t regularly use ourselves, so we’re definitely feeling kind of JV about the whole thing.

I really like the curtain. Target is the best for shower curtains in my opinion.

I would also recommend a candle and matches (or a discreet spray) and extra tooth brushes and some basic medicine like Advil and Tums.

2. jordan says

Hi Youngsters….i am loving the process of watching you two transform your new pad! Just curious if you are still aiming for your 10 posts a week?

Hey Jordan,

You can read all about our more casual real-time approach to blogging here:

Thanks to all the projects we’re running around doing (not to mention picture taking and post writing along with comment answering and Clara watching) we can’t stick to a regimented schedule like we used to back in the day, but we love the newfound freedom and creativity of a looser schedule. You can always subscribe to our blog via Google Reader or by email and it’ll alert you whenever we share a new post. A very loose estimation of our posts would be two per day three days a week and one a day on the other two weekdays. We like to spice things up though – for example, we actually posted about painting the guest room on Saturday. We’re crazy like that. Hope it helps!

Don’t be embarrassed! It was our first choice! It only looked bad with the yellow tile and all those little squares on the floor. Like a big black hole on a scrabble board- haha. But brown mats can totally work!

3. Lauren says

We’re in the middle of making some cosmetic changes to our bathroom. So far we’ve removed the dated medicine cabinet, added some open shelving, replaced the shower head/sink faucet, and painted the vanity. It’s actually been a pretty dramatic change for very little money which makes me happy!

When we have guests I make sure to fill a small basket with shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, toothpaste, new toothbrush (still in package), floss and pain reliever. We have cotton rounds and q-tips in glass containers on shelves (easily visible) and put out fresh towels/washcloths. I also like to put a fresh roll of toilet paper on the roll so hopefully guests won’t have to go searching for more!

4. Sarah says

I will be watching these comments are we are about to gut our guest bath (because in addition to yellow tile, we also have a yellow toilet, a yellow tub, yellow sinks, and pinkish countertops -lovely!). The two requests I’ve received that haven’t been mentioned above are a hand mirror (so my mom can see what the back of her hair looks like) and a hair dryer (so guests don’t have to keep borrowing mine).

5. Christie says

I totally agree with Amanda. Get a nicer shampoo, conditioner, soap, body wash than you normally use. Even if you don’t use body wash (I don’t), lots of people do. So get it anyways :) I also put a nice hand soap and hand lotion on the sink. Good luck! Hope they love your new house!!

I LOVE the combo! Perfect! I knew you two wouldn’t disappoint!
    I got a chuckle out of the “Fashion Show” Sherry! Do you do the same thing when you purchase new clothing? Every time I go on a clothing/shoes shopping spree, whether for me, my boyfriend, well anybody…when we get home I yell “Fashion Show!” and have to have a fashion show in the living room!

I totally do it when my sister in law of BFF come back with bags from the outlets. I make them try everything on and parade around. And whenever I get new clothes for Clara I always beg John for a fashion show. He’s sweet and usually obliges.

LOVE IT!!! Girl after my own heart! My boyfriend usually first rolls his eyes (if he’s the one with the new threads), and then gives me a look like “Seriously” but he’ll do it for me anyway. :) Can’t wait to have kids! They’ll be my real live little fashion plates!

7. Meghan says

Someone mentioned fresh flowers, which I totally echo – along with some reading material (although let’s be honest, if your parents are staying there, the only things they’ll want to read are baby books to Clara!). Maybe a candle. And personally I LOVE it when a guest bathroom has its own hair dryer.

Great choice on the shower curtain!

8. Magpie M says

Though I don’t travel super frequently, I have had several hotel stays in the last 2-3 years. Since I always pack my own shampoo, etc. I never need the hotel-supplied toiletries. BUT I do bring them all home with me — to keep in a nice basket in my guest bathroom. It means there’s always a nice variety of stuff to choose from and hey, it’s free. I also leave any sample-size toothpaste, floss, etc. in there if I get any freebies at the dentist.

9. Rebekah C says

We renovated our bathroom last summer, making sure to keep the original footprint, but demo’ing down to the studs so that we could start fresh. Although it was the world’s longest small apartment bathroom reno (4 weeks!), we love the result and are happy that we spent the money on it….pictures on Houzz at the following link:

10. SouthsideShellyP says

Buy a second shower curtain and skirt that sink. You can also cut ‘ribbons’ of fabric from the shower curtain and sew bands onto towels. Might be too matchy matchy. I have heard about spraying shower enclosures and tiles floors — similar to having a pink bathtub redone in white. I’m doing that with my master shower. I can’t afford a total total overhaul so I’ll have all the tile sprayed white to revive it. I like the medallion curtain a lot. I think you should buy a few of those and use them as fabric in the room (e.g. curtain panels, cushions, pillows, etc.

11. juco says

You guys, I’m not gonna lie – I LOVE your yellow and beige tiled bathroom. As far as mid century bathrooms go, this may be the easiest color combo to modernize with accessories. I know that these bathrooms from the olden days aren’t for everyone, and you guys have plans to make this room your own. But I’ll enjoy your pictures of those tiles for now!

I think guest bedrooms should not be without a clock. But let me give you a few tips. DO NOT buy a clock that cannot be seen at night, or that makes click click noises every time the second hand moves. I speak from personal experience that this is extremely annoying to your guests who may wake up when it is still dark out, wonder what time it is but not be able to see the clock without turning on a light (which you can’t do if there is more than one person in the room), and then trying to go back to sleep only to hear that dang ticking noise over and over! :-)