Now Our Guests Can Shower

Progress has been made in the guest bathroom, folks. Which is good news since we’re less than 30 hours away from the arrival of Sherry’s mom and stepdad. Our first score was finding a shower curtain. Despite being burned by pattern in our last shower curtain attempt, we bought this guy at Target on Friday for about $20.

It definitely still looks kinda rough in there (still have to paint the walls and hang art, but we don’t think we’ll get to that before the inlaws arrive, uh, tomorrow). But getting back to the shower curtain, we think the pattern works much better because it’s bigger when it comes to the scale. The large medallions don’t compete with the tiny square tile on the walls and floor like the smaller scale yellow pattern in the last one we grabbed. The dark brown also introduced some nice contrast since the yellow tiles and off-white walls were sort of washing out the rest of the space. And because our old guest room bedding – which we plan to reuse – includes brown & white, while the walls in there are blue, this curtains sort of ties things together.

Then once we had the curtain finalized (and picked up a cheap white fabric liner to keep this guy from getting drenched, also from Target), we turned our attention to the bathmat – or the lack thereof. We originally brought home a brown one that matched the curtain but it was waaaay too dark. And walking into a bathroom to see a big brown spot on the floor wasn’t the most, um, clean looking choice.

So we went back to Target and picked up three other options for a little bath mat fashion show (Sherry may or may not have clapped and chanted “fashion show, fashion show” as we made our purchase). First we tried this square one that almost blended right into the floor completely.

No dice. It just looked kinda dirty and blah.

Our next choice was the polar opposite. We decided to try a more colorful rectangular mat to pick up those blue tones in the curtain (and the adjoining deep teal guest bedroom).

We didn’t really mind this one. It matched the curtain nicely and certainly would help us achieve our goal of bringing more color into the house.

But when we saw the third option we knew it was “the one.” It just felt crisp and tailored without being matchy-matchy. The stripes are a fun counterpart to the circles in the curtain (the white and brown tones in each one keeps them related in a fun mixed & matched way).

What can we say? I guess even though we’re embracing more color, we’re still suckers for crisp white stuff from time to time. Especially with there’s a white toilet, sink, and mirror in there (so it automatically ties right in). I guess when it comes to bathrooms, nothing trumps clean white linens for us (99.9% of hotels that we’ve stayed at always have plush white towels and bathrobes, so we want our guests to feel like Casa Petersik is just as spa-like and inviting). Long story short, we had a bath mat fashion show winner. So we hoisted it up and sang For He’s A Jolly Good Fellow, removed the tag, and returned the others.

We also accomplished a few hardware updates yesterday. The most needed of which was a new toilet seat, since the old one boasted several chips in the lid and tears in the soft seat (and we’re not really fans of the soft toilet seat thing anyways). Here’s the least offensive shot of the old toilet seat that shows off some of those chips on the lid. We refrained from sharing the open lidded shots since we know some of you eat breakfast slash drink coffee while reading. You’re welcome.

Replacing a toilet seat isn’t rocket science, nor is it a very glamorous job. But I did my best to enjoy the process, and even flashed a thumbs up at the wife as she snapped this pic.

The whole switcheroo brought back memories of when I used a toilet seat for a 9th grade science project where I had to illustrate the anatomy of a mollusk (i.e. clams). In case you were wondering, toilet seats take well to dry erase markers. Yes, I really am that dorky. Go Team Mollusk.

We also replaced the old rusted shower head. It functioned just fine (the water pressure was great and there were thankfully no leaks to deal with) but it just didn’t look very nice.

So we sprung for the cheapest multi-setting shower head at Target (it was $14) in an effort to fancy things up a smidge.

And after using some serious elbow grease to get the old one off, the new one went on within 60 seconds. So shiny, right? I can even see myself in it.

Speaking of being in it, I actually took the shower for a test run shortly after this installation. I figured if anything weird or gross was going to happen in the first use of this shower, I wanted it to happen to me and not my mother-in-law. Fortunately things were all good. In fact, the water pressure is better in there than our master bedroom. Lucky guests.

Last but not least was a quick zero-cost change. After removing the mirror on inside of the bathroom door (awkward!), we realize we were missing towel hooks… ’til we discovered them on the other side of the door while painting this weekend. Seriously, in the two months that we’ve lived here we never once closed the door to the guest bathroom to discover those towel hooks hiding back there until a few days ago. So I just unscrewed them from the back and reattached them to the inside of the door where they’ll actually be seen and used (and Sherry spackled and painted the leftover holes on the lesser seen back side of the door).

We’ve still got a few other things (like towels, and maybe some art) to make the room look more complete and guest-ready, but at least it’s completely functional now. Stay tuned for pics of the whole room after Sherry gets her kicks by adding a few accessories. And we still have to share our progress in the guest room. Which we’re most likely working away on as you read this post.

In the meantime, have you guys made any recent bathroom upgrades? Or do you have any tips to share about how you get a guest bathroom ready for guests (besides buying some shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste – which is already on our to-do list along with fluffy towels and a few washcloths)? This is our first time having to furnish a devoted guest bathroom that we don’t regularly use ourselves, so we’re definitely feeling kind of JV about the whole thing.

1. Riane says

I like to supply the guest bath with the basic travel essentials: toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, soap, deodorant, etc. I keep them under the sink in fabric lined baskets and make sure my guests know they can find most anything they may have forgotten there. I also make sure they get the good hand soap (bath and body works)and light a candle the day before so it smells yummy.

2. Allison says

Our guest bathroom currently has a corner shower fixture, but I think there is plenty of room to fit a full tub. I’m curious whether or not adding in a full tub would help increase the value of our house. Do you guys take that into consideration when do major renovations (like your bath in the last house)? Or do you base your decisions mostly on aesthetics?

Yup, we definitely take things like that into consideration. Since our guest bathroom wouldn’t accommodate a full sized tub, and our other two bathrooms have a tub already, it’s not a possibility for us (and probably wouldn’t increase resale at all since there are already two tubs in the house). But function is always paramount to us- waaaay over form. Livability is everything.

3. Jenn says

Looking good! Whenever we have guests, I always put a couple magazine selections on the nightstand and in the guest bathroom. You never know when the urge to read will strike!

I have heard that you should stay in your guest room before your guests come so you can see what they would experience…noisy fan..dripping faucet…etc. It’s all looking great

5. Kelly says

If you ever do get tired of the yellow tile but aren’t ready for a full redo of the bathroom you could always have someone come in a re-glaze it for y’all white. :) I’ve seen this done quite a few times on shows and the end result is always amazing – and it can’t be too expensive since it’s always the “design for cheap” shows that I see it on. :)

reglazed? Did you ever post anything on that? If not I’d love to learn about that – sounds like a great redo on the cheaps!

• Chris says

We had our tub reglazed @ our old home, too. But I have to tell you it started peeling after several years. But, by that time we had the funds to replace the tub and install a jetted tub, which was what we really wanted, anyway.

6. K says

We did a complete overhaul to our bathroom. Knocked out a wall and pushed it back 3 feet(In Philadelphia, this is adding a ton of space since before, we had about 2 feet of walking space between the toilet and shower). We did all new plumbing, toilet, shower, sink and tiled floors. We built a shower with two shelves at mine and my fiance’s height, and added a rainfall showerhead (he is 6’4). We tiled the whole shower and floor ourselves with travertine (totally worth every penny.) But my two favorite parts of the bathroom, 1. the toilet seat. We got one that lowers itself so you avoid the sound of a slamming toilet seat. You just tap it and it slowly lowers itself. And 2. We had a huge wall that was screaming for a large piece of art or something in it, so we bought a $50 huge mirror from a thrift shop, and it makes the room look even bigger.

7. Chrissy says

The best guest bathrooms are the ones that make you feel like a very welcomed guest. I have a guest bathroom in which there is a basket of essentials that your guests may have forgotten; you know the usual… hairspray, toothpaste, toothbrushes, lady products. But I always try to add one or two personal things that I know my guest will love. Like when my sister comes to visit I but some trial size bath and body works stuff in there for her… just to make her know I was thinking about her. This tactic usually gets an “ahhh-shucks” reaction every time ;)

PS… your guest bathroom is really coming together, love the new shower curtain!!

8. Marissa says

Love it! Any idea what color you’re going to paint above the tiles? I think your other duvet cover (the one that was in your master bedroom) would look equally awesome in this bedroom.

For the guest bathroom, I always leave a few pretty glass cups on the vanity for my MIL (for her toothbrush, hairbrush, make-up, etc). It’s more convenient than storing things in a damp travel bag.

I also write a little welcome message on the bathroom mirror with glass markers (though any water-based marker would work). It easily wipes off with a damp napkin or sponge. Sometimes, I just put a small message in the corner (e.g., “We’re so happy you’re here!”), but for special occasions I get more elaborate (when my sis stayed with me before she took the MCAT, I decorated the mirror with stethoscopes and band-aids).

Last tip: when I visited a friend, she left out a pair of guest slippers for me, which was so nice! It felt very spa-like and kept my feet cozy on her hardwood floors.

Have fun!!

We’re definitely not sure about the wall color in the bathroom but we’re toying with everything from soft mocha to light (or even medium) gray along with some sort of lighter blue-gray to go with the teal. Not sure where we’ll land, but you know we’ll share the deets when we get there!

I like the idea of warming up (even though its already pretty cheery with all that yellow!) your little bath with a tan/mocha tone to complement the tan in the floor tiles—mmmmm, mocha…..

9. Erica M says

I keep a little basket with an assortment of the many travel sized toiletries that are collected from hotels.

I also keep extra loofas, which I always prefer over a washcloth when I travel.

10. Jen says

i love the shower curtain individually but i dont know if i like it against all that yellow. it seems busy to me. to each his own.

To each his own of course! We hope to share photos of the bathroom as a whole later (which might just change your mind when you see more of the room and all the last minute details we’ll be adding in). If not… at least we tried. Haha.

• Lauren says

I was thinking the same.. I like the curtain itself, but from the pictures it makes the shower itself look really dark. I prefer white or light curtains in dark rooms so more light gets in. But I don’t know what your lighting is like in there either.. I’m sure either way it gets the job done.

• Emily says

I agree. Love the shower curtain. Love the mat. Love the yellow tiles. I just don’t think I could put them all together. But, as it was mentioned – to each his own.

11. Kate says

Hi guys! My sweet Caroline is just a month older than your little Clara. How in the world do you get so much done during the day? Aside from the fact that I am by myself at home, I’m lucky if Caroline takes 2 naps. Super lucky. You’re my heroes!

It’s totally because there are 2 of us. And Clara is awesome. But mostly because there are two of us. One of us works on the blog (takes pics, writes posts, answers comments, does projects) while the other is on Clara duty. And then we work on projects once she’s in bed at night most of the time too. So we’re kinda crazy and we work all the time, but we love what we do!