We Found A Note Hidden In Our House!

You know how we hid a secret note in our first house to hopefully be discovered in a few decades? Well, we found one in our new house! It doesn’t appear to be very old, so we’re guessing it’s from the previous owners (who lived here for 22 years, so it’s still pretty amazing). Where was it? Tucked behind the large wall mirror in the hall bathroom. See that tiny nub sticking out under that wonky orange arrow?

While John was giving Clara her bath I was hanging out with them slash standing-around-staring-at-things-I-can’t-wait-to-update when I looked up and saw it peeking out of the top of the mirror. So I tugged on the corner, revealing a nice little printed note.

In case you can’t make it out, it read:

May today bring you peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are both of faith in yourself and others. May you use the gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself just the way you are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise, and love. It is there for each and every one of us.

Isn’t that sweet? I dunno if it’s leftover pregnancy hormones or what, but it totally made me tear up. Because it’s exactly how we feel. Like we’re exactly where we’re meant to be. How cool are the past owners of our house for hiding this little gem? We think they’re the bee’s knees.

Have you guys ever found any messages in your home? Any initials with hearts scrawled in a kids closet, letters carved into concrete outside, or beer cans and old newspapers in the walls? Somebody tell me you found vintage “men’s magazines” somewhere. Scandalous.

Comments

1. Elizabeth says

I didn’t find any notes, but the previous owner of my house had let grandchildren paint all over the garage walls, drawings and such. I painted over them when I moved in, but I left the lightswitch cover which they had also painted.

On a side note…do your cotton balls get dusty when you have them in an uncovered container like that? Or do you use them quickly enough to avoid it. I swear it seems that my house has more dust than any house I ever read about on the internet!

Hey Elizabeth,

We don’t really use those very much at all but they don’t appear or feel very dusty. Wonder if there’s dust in there but we just can’t see it. Haha.

Haha! I haven’t found any notes in our house- but others will find tons including the graffitti we left on the old wallpaper (that would not come off even with a commercial steamer) and covered over with drywall. Plus my son recently carved “Jeff was here” into the knotty pine panelling in our office. I’m sure the kids have left more that we haven’t discovered yet!

3. Theresa says

What a beautiful note. I wish I had been so lucky to find such a note. The only thing left from our previous owners was a mess. lol

4. Allison D says

My husband and I purchased a foreclosure a few years back that had extensive smoke damage. Needless to say the homeowner up and left leaving an attic full of junk for us to clean out. Not only did we find “Men’s Videos” etc, we found a letter from him to a girlfriend he wrote while he was in jail! The neighbor has told us all sorts of stories about him and his family. I guess the previous owners father used to use his plane to run drugs for D.B Cooper (more on him here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper) and the owner himself did not live a crime free life either it seems. How crazy is that?? There were no sentimental notes… :(

5. Gaelle says

Well, I found a lot of drafts and not so code approved electrical connections, but no sweet note yet… I feel our previous owners weren’t as much in love with our house as you guys were!
    You two are a lucky bunch.
    Me and my can of Stuff It are more like… a practical bunch :-D

We didn’t find a note but we found three empty Budweiser cans behind the drywall of our bathroom during demolition. Cheers! :)

7. KiM says

I wish we could find something, but instead I guess we’ll have to leave something fun behind. :)

my college roommate and i found hidden notes/words left all of our old dorm room from the previous year’s tenants. so we left a bunch of new ones and re-hid all the ones we found. it was kinda cool. and the girls that left them even visited us at one point that year.

9. Amanda says

In our house someone had written “Jeff+Lisa” inside a heart in our bathroom’s plaster. I always wondered, why THERE? Haha.

I wish I could say I found a note…
    …but we found an empty whiskey bottle instead. From the builders, probably. It was hidden inside the “foot” of one of the pedestal sinks.

11. Aly says

I found initials etched into our stairs. I can imagine the child taking a break on that stair, waiting for a parent to get ready perhaps, and carving away. I’d like to see how old they are, our house is nearly 100.