House Crashing: It’s A Mod Mod World

Woot, it’s Friday! And we’re hard at work painting the trim in the living room at this. very. moment. So it seems like as good a time as any to go house crashing. We thought we’d share pics of this amazingly inspiring NYC pad that we virtually house crashed while we’re off getting our paint on. One thing’s for sure – Herman and Eduardo (the proud owners) definitely have made every last inch count. Speaking of size, their pad is just 500 square feet and it consists of a modestly sized kitchen, dining area, living area, bedroom, and bathroom. But it feels luxe and lovely, like it’s all anyone would ever need. It’s such a good example of living simply and making the smartest use of your space. Plus Herman and Eduardo did a ton of stuff themselves (from demo and floor planning to sewing their own pillows and curtains). But enough chitchat. Let’s start with the living area…

See that big black piece that they added to create a nice partition (from the bedroom) and tons of storage (accessible from all three sides)? It’s genius. An of course we love the art and those pillows and that gorgeous texture-rich rug from West Elm.

Speaking of that colorful art, we like that it doesn’t take itself too seriously (and it’s just begging to be DIYed for anyone out there in need of some wall interest). And there are some of those DIYed pillows that Eduardo made.

Here’s the TV that’s placed across from the sofa in front of a charming painted brick stripe (which was built out with drywall to include a little display nook- such a fun modern departure from the average wood mantel).

And see those Knoll Bertoia chairs over yonder? They’re like a celebrity crush. I know I’ll probably never be able to get my mitts on them, but oh how they make me weak in the knees (John says I’m allowed to look all I want, I just can’t touch. I know, I’m a lucky lady).

As you can see from the last picture, the living area is just a few feet away from this über chic dining zone complete with a gorgeous marble topped tulip table (get that look on the budget with this similar version from Ikea). Oh and speaking of budget, Eduardo made that gorgeous mirror himself.

And around the corner there’s a short hallway that leads to a dreamy bedroom. But I’m getting ahead of myself. We’ll get there in a minute (but check out those great built-in drawers for a second):

Before moving back to the bedroom we have the office, which is really just a corner of the same room that includes the kitchen, living area, and dining zone. And get this, they built the desk themselves. And then covered it with plexiglass for a slick look.

Speaking of the kitchen, here’s that corner (they raised it up a bit on a clean-lined pedestal to help define that zone in the room). It’s amazing how there’s room for everything and even a nice large span of countertop work space thanks to the peninsula packed with storage that was also added to subtly section off the area. Plus the counters and cabinets are from Ikea, so they didn’t break the bank. Even though they look like they did with that customized everything-fits-perfectly layout.

The time has come to revisit the bedroom that you saw a peek of from that second dining room shot. It’s gorgeous and dramatic yet super serene, complete with lovely metallic curtains along the back wall paired with a gleaming silver texture-rich headboard and a sunny yellow extra long bolster pillow. And in money-saving news, not only did Eduardo make that pillow, they actually got the coverlet from Bed Bath & Beyond. Sweet.

Next we have a peek at the bathroom (small rooms are hard to shoot- but we love this glimpse!):

So that’s Herman and Eduardo’s amazing home. Sometimes it’s the smallest spaces that force people to be the most creative- and we love soaking up all the eye candy and inspiration. We’re sending out a big thank you to H & E for sharing the virtual tour while we paint the day away. Oh and you can drop in on Eduardo’s blog here for more info and inspiration. Now let’s play the what’s-your-favorite-part game. I’m obsessed with the gorgeous metallic headboard and the punchy art in the living room. John’s digging the amazing three sided storage unit in the living room and the cool modern light fixture in the dining area. Your turn.

Psst- Check out more house crashing adventures here.

Comments

1. katie kindness says

i was content with my life, until this moment. House swap??? Thanks for “ruining” my morning :) :)

2. Becky says

We actually have the Knoll Bertoia chairs in the cafe at work. If we ever decide to sell any off, I’ll let you know!

3. duck-billed placelot says

Aww! Where’s the picture of the proud owners in their beautiful space? I always love that part, seeing the happy-shiny-faces of the people who created such interesting and breath-taking homes…

Hey Duck-Billed Placelot,

They seem to be a bit shy (sometimes it’s hard to coerce people to send photos when it’s a virtual crashing, although I can be quite persuasive about it in person, haha) but you can see Eduardo’s cute face over on his blog!

4. Kimberly says

I absolutely love the kitchen! What an amazing use of space and it still looks light and open. Certainly gives me inspiration for my (comparatively) much larger kitchen space!
    And by the way, the gray paint in your hallway with the white trim looks so fantastic! I can’t wait to see how the living room turns out! (Moonshine was my pick too!)

5. Ali says

I too love seeing organized and beautiful small square feet homes! They did an incredible job with the layout and the design! :) I love the kitchen and then office zones!

~ Ali

The only thing I love more than glimpses of the Petersik abode is when you guys house crash! And this home does not disappoint. Any clue where the chair in front of the tv “mantle” is from?!

7. Jodi says

I can’t believe how such a small space can “read” so big! The punch of color, extra storage, and the raised kitchen (never would have thought of that!) creates an amazing space. My favorite thing…the homemade pillows! Good luck painting trim today, by the way! Can’t wait to see it!

8. Emily says

I love this! I live in a similar sized condo in Boston (434 sq ft). Im not as fortunate to have such a well laid out space. But I’ve gotten such great inspiration.

9. Amy W says

This isn’t related to your post, but I have been following the sad story of baby Scarlett, who is battling cancer at the age of 3 months old! Her parents write a wonderful blog about their journey, and today they gave you guys a shout out. Thought you might want to know that your blog not only inspires people to decorate, it also helps them through tough times. Their blog can be found here,
    http://brandiandchris.blogspot.com/. We are rooting for you baby Scarlett!

Yes! We’re rooting for Baby Scalett over here too! We actually got an amazing note from Brandi about how she has been taking photos of Scarlett on fabric each week inspired by our weekly Clara photos and we couldn’t have been more touched to hear it. Such a lovely family, and we wish them nothing but the best!

xoxo,
      s (& j & c & b)

Wow. You said it, when you said “making every inch count.” I can’t believe how much style is oozing out of their place.

I hope my house has even half the style when we’re (eventually) done with it! : )

I’m off to Herman and Eduardo’s blog now…

11. duck-billed placelot says

Sherry – so it is; well, can you blame me for missing a link after those gorgeous pictures (probably)? And great, another design blog that makes me want to pet my screen! Anyway, I love the striped bathroom floor, and the sheep(?)’s skull. And the two-fabricked bolster. And the unifying chartreuse. And the everything.

12. Ryan says

The space is beautiful, but it certainly doesn’t look homey or lived in. I can’t imagine relaxing on the couch in front of the TV. To me, it looks like someone snapped pictures of the Ikea floor models. Beautifully done, though.