At Last, A Video Tour Of Our New House

So it’s been exactly a month since move-in day and it’s shameful to think that we haven’t shared a video tour of the place yet. We officially accept a virtual slap on the wrist. Or a noogie if you’re old school. But no indian burns. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Anyway, after unpacking, list making, nursery painting, door frosting, bi-fold removing, duvet ordering, bed-assembling, washer & dryer hunting, shelf removing, Christmas tree decorating, playing with ceramic animals built-in bookcase arranging, built-in bookcase painting, dealing with a plethora of mirrors (some in very odd places), bedroom painting, Christmas tree dismantling, and waiting for our new washer & dryer to arrive (update: they’re here! more details later!) we finally broke out the Flip and took it for a quick spin around the new digs. Watch it below on Vimeo or here on YouTube (and if you’re at work, you can mute it and still get a pretty good idea of what we’re dealing with). Oh and I wholeheartedly apologize for Blair Witching you guys. I’m not exactly slow and steady with a camera:

Since it would take hours to discuss all of the half-baked projects on our to-do list, this tour is meant to give you a better sense of the layout and how each room connects (while providing some never before seen angles of rooms and shots of things like our closet, our kitchen sink, etc). When it comes to what we’ll do in the future (along with how we’ll do it and why we’ll do it) we honestly like to take those things one day at a time to keep from getting too overwhelmed.

So hopefully you’ll enjoy a look around our house without tossing out any “what are your plans for this sink/bed/wall/room/window?” or “are you keeping/painting/replacing those fill-in-the-blank” or “have you considered doing such & such?” questions. Not because we don’t love your inquisitive nature, but because in truth we’re most likely not set on anything yet and have tons of ideas swirling around in our heads. Which is why we’re so set on taking things as they come and blogging about each and every project & decision that we make as we tackle them in real-time (instead of doing a lot of future conjecturing). Things always change along the way anyway.

Oh and we figured we’d include the rough floor plan that we shared before moving in for easy cross reference. You know, if you’re the cross-referencing type (I’m not. Hubs is). Let the record state that some rooms are labeled differently in the pic below than they’re called in the video (ex: we labeled the future dining room as “living room” below, since that’s what it is now. But there’s more info over here (and another floor plan that reflects how we plan to change the layout/rooms as we go).

Maybe once we’re further along with the transformation, we’ll shoot a more formal house tour without me behind the wheel. Again I apologize for all of the spinning, shaking, and other nausea inducing maneuvers. Fingers crossed that nobody lost their lunch croissant/cheerio’s/pop tart/egg sandwich on the tour. But if you did, at least it was virtual. Which means no clean up on my end. Can’t complain.

Comments

Hey Amy,

Nope, we don’t have any blankets in the crib for suffocation risk. Doctor’s orders. But she’s an amazing sleeper (and we figure if she was cold she wouldn’t sleep like a little champ).

1. Julie says

Love it! Sherry, you made my morning with the house tour. I especially like the sunroom, and Clara’s room. Can’t wait to see what you do with the house. Have a great day!

Thank you for the walking tour – I loved it and I can’t wait to see what projects you and John will come up with over the next couple of years.

Thanks for the house tour! Totally put everything in perspective =) And about the no blanket thing on the comment above, yeah our 5mth old doesn’t sleep with a blanket either. We use sleepsacks for her though when it gets chilly and they work great!

4. Maya says

Such a cute house tour!! The house is looking great too :) I also really get a sense for the colors of everything on the tour, and I think I like that dark frame on the mirror in the bedroom window more now…

favorite moment of the tour: when you say that’s where a BIG tv will go some day and you pan ALL THE WAY up the wall… haha… how big are you planning to go? ;)

Hey Maya,

Hahah, I realized that watching it back. Right now we’re envisioning some sort of media hutch (with shelving that surrounds the tv) so we’re definitely not planning to get a supersized floor to ceiling tv or anything. Haha.

5. Shannon says

Soooo….I want your house. :) Thanks for the tour!! You guys have it looking awesome already and it is going to be beyond fantastic when you’re done!

Love it! We moved into a new apartment around the same time you guys moved into your new house. Our new place has cement floors (brr!) and we used the sheepskins on either side of our bed too. :)

7. Kim says

I’ve a question for you guys. I’ve noticed on each one of your videos you have music and you’re able to add photos into the video. How do yall do that? I’m not quit pro like yall, but I’d at least I’d like to know how to add music to my videos. The hubs got me a flip for xmas and I set up an account with Vimeo… whats next?

Thank you and love your blog.

Hey Kim,

We both work on macs, which come with a program called iMovie which is what we use to edit our videos and add music and captions and all that. We definitely recommend it if you have a mac!

Best last paragraph ever!

Hey, will you pay me a dime for every time someone asks a “what are your plans for this sink/bed/wall/room/window?” or “are you keeping/painting/replacing those fill-in-the-blank” or “have you considered doing such & such?” question?

heh heh

Was there a noise machine on in Clara’s room?

Love that you guys kept her aqua chandelier. It’s capiz, right? Do you know how they produce those in colors like that? Is capiz usually a light color? I have some capiz shell circles, but don’t like what they’re hanging on. I’m wondering if I could paint them somehow. Any thoughts?

Hey Beth,

Yup, Clara loves her sound machine so much we even travel with it (it’s actually just an iPod dock and we play a white noise CD on a loop). As for how they produce colored capiz shells, we honestly have no idea. Maybe they dye them somehow? It’s a very translucent finish so we don’t think it’s paint. Unless it’s some sort of super thing watercolor application or something. Maybe try some sheer craft store paint and see what happens?

So much fun! Thanks for the tour and our little one didn’t get a blanket to sleep with until she was well over a year (hmm, maybe even almost 1 1/2?). Clara certainly does seem to be an awesome sleeper – I am very impressed that she didn’t wake up during the tour. That would not have worked on our end – go Clara!