Project Fridge: An Update

Remember when we mentioned that we were on a grocery shopping hiatus? The idea was to make a concerted effort to eat as much as possible that we already had in the fridge and the freezer so we didn’t have to worry about keeping things cold for the 6-ish hour delay between being out of our house and getting to move into our new one (which will hopefully still happen Monday afternoon assuming the bank stays on schedule with the transfer). Here’s what the fridge looked like just two weeks ago when we started:

And here’s what the fridge looks like now that it’s truck-loading day (after two weeks of eating some pretty “creative” meals to get rid of as much as possible):

Not too bad, right? Thanks to my borderline compulsive list making idea (detailed here), we managed to get down to just one carton of ice cream and one bag of edamame in the freezer and a few condiments along with a bit of bread, cheese, a few pickles, three yogurt cups and a few sticks of butter in the fridge. And we’ll probably eat the rest of the ice cream and those pickles today (no I’m not prego- promise). Thankfully everything else will easily slip into a small cooler that we’ll stick in the cold moving van so everything should travel really easily (as opposed to needing a bunch of larger coolers or hijacking John’s sister’s fridge for the day). Plus we saved some money by avoiding the grocery store. Most of all, we’re even more excited about moving into our new house now – because it means that we can go on a huge food shopping spree and eat normal meals again! Woot woot.

Comments

John’s an ice cream enthusiast (to say the least) so he has been rationing it like crazy. There’s just enough for us each to have a scoop tonight – so it probably won’t even make it into the cooler tomorrow morning!

1. Cassie Kimler says

GOOD LUCK MOVING!!! We attempted this when we moved, however we were too excited to move into our first home that we ate what we could and just packed it in reusable bags for the first load over to the new house! I can’t wait to hear how tomorrow goes and how excited you four are at being in your new HOME!! YAY!!!!!

Chocolate something. I think it has marshmallows in it. It’s kind of “meh” which is why it was the last carton left. But it’s still better than eating sticks of butter or condiments…

2. Rachel says

Very impressive! And yes I had to laugh when I saw pickles and ice cream…guess I wasn’t the only one to think about pregnancy cravings when I saw that. :) Good luck with your truck packing today! I can’t believe you’re posting in the middle of all the madness.

I cannot believe how quickly (reader’s time) your closing has come! It’s probably seemed like forever on your end!

Good luck and enjoy your first day in your new house!! So exciting!

4. Kaz in Oz says

Hoping we can get ours down so low, otherwise our neighbours will be getting the contents of our fridge/freezer. We will be having a couple of days (at least) without our stuff, so no taking any perishables.
    I was thinking pregnancy too. Never been particularly fond of pickles though. My craving was for dried apricots.

5. Laura T says

Good luck moving. My hubby and I cannot wait to buy a house that we can do projects on together. In the meantime, we’re trying to fix up our condo for selling. Tried replacing a leaky toilet ourselves today (with your tutorial at hand). Unfortunately, we found out why it was leaking and it’s because the plastic ring at the base (around the flange) is cracked and rotting, but still very much attached to the PVC in the floor. Soooo…plugged it up and calling a plumber tomorrow. ::womp womp:: Better luck next time…