Mister Ed The Bed (Assembling Our Edland Bed From Ikea)

Last you saw our new bed Ed – aka, the Edland four-poster bed from Ikea – he looked like this (read more about how we chose him here).

He has since been assembled – and even slept on for one night. And thanks to the Skorva steel support beam (also from Ikea, which is mentioned as a must-have along with the bed in the “good to know” section) Ed can, in fact, hold the weight of 30 dead people (aka: our incredibly heavy mattress) plus the weight of two DIY enthusiasts, their beefy chihuahua named Hamburger, and their baby girl (when she’s in there for a morning snack).

Constructing the bed was a remarkably easy process, especially considering I defied Ikea’s instructions and did it all without a partner (she was on baby duty). But since all of my hands were occupied during the construction phase, I did very little in the way of photographing. Thankfully I can use the Ikea instruction booklet to help re-enact a few scenes.

Like this one, where I hollered “Honey, fetch me my screwdrivers!” –  to which I got a glare and an invitation to get them myself, since she was otherwise occupied with Clara.

Or this one where I took my partially constructed bed frame on a magic carpet ride. “A Whole New World” may or may not have been sung as we soared through the clouds.

And of course this is a perfect depiction of the moment when I called Ikea to place an order of Swedish meatballs only to learn that they don’t employ a fleet of food delivery people. Boo.

Ok, so none of those really happened. But I thought it sounded more interesting than the whole “then I put in another screw” play by play. So let’s just fast forward to the after:

Although I should clarify that I definitely got Sherry’s help when it came to wrangling our mattress up onto the frame, which almost killed us- but it’s done and we’re euphoric. It’s a whole lot better than the whole mattress-on-the-floor look that we were rocking since moving in:

Clearly we still have some work to do in the bedroom, but we’re really happy to have Ed as our starting point (especially since he ended our over-two-week marathon of sleeping on the floor).

We love the fact that we’re sleeping higher than we have for the last 4+ years since the Edland is a good foot or so higher than the Malm that we had (and loved) in our old house. But it’s still comfortable to climb in and out of for Sherry (short) and me (tall) so that’s a good thing. And have no fear, Burger can still get into bed – even without the help of the bench that we placed at the foot of the bed as our version of Doggie Steps. Burgmeister doesn’t even need it and instead prefers to take flying leaps to demonstrate his Rottweiler-like agility.

And even though we have plans to change out the fan for a less conflicting ceiling fixture someday, at least we still have enough clearance to use it if we really needed to. You know for some reason in the middle of winter. Seriously, how funny is that perfect little fan facilitating pocket of space up there? Although it might come in handy after we’ve painted the walls and want to ventilate everything and help it dry faster.

Speaking of painting, our next step in the bedroom will probably be to get some color on the walls (we’re thinking a gray-ish blue with some green undertones to work with our whole teal vision from this mood board of yore) – which should make our new white bed frame, er Ed, really stand out. We also want to get a new duvet (not only to change things up a bit, but also because something a little bigger will cover the bedsides more and result in fewer sleep fights over who has more of the covers). And we’ll happily be able to reuse our beloved existing West Elm duvet in the guest room once we get a full sized bed in there (it’s a full/queen sized duvet, but we always thought it was better suited to a full sized bed, which is exactly what we have planned for that room). Slowly but surely…

Psst- To anyone who missed our Nate Berkus appearance, it seems as though it’s going to rerun today. Why are we nervous all over again? Gah.

1. Stephanie Phillips says

Is that a new chair as well??

I LOVE the bed. I love that you are starting in the bedroom, as we have left ours for last and it bothers me every single night. Give me some good inspiration!

Hey Stephanie,

That’s the same leather chair from Target that we had in our last bedroom (it was on the wall opposite our bed, which wasn’t pictured much though).

2. Mary says

Companies that sell duvet covers don’t get it. How can a size labeled as Full/Queen possible fit both size beds?
    They are 2 different sizes!!
    We have a queen bed up on risers so I ended up buying a King for a longer drape down the sides. But it’s still too short at the foot of the bed. I’ve decided to make a custom one. It’s just sewing straight seams…so easy!
    Sherry, you need to learn how to sew.
    Think of all the things you could make for your home & Clara.

I do love your bed but I love your floors even more – is that original tongue and groove wide pine planks?? I would love to get my hands on those and stain them up a slightly medium/dark brown color, so yummy. You are lucky.

Hey Jaime,

They’re reclaimed pine boards (extra wide) that were added in the 70’s. Love them! And of course we’d love to refinish them along with the hardwoods and the wood parquet flooring in other rooms of our house (all in the same rich tone) so they feel more cohesive. Someday…

4. Cher says

Check out Silver Sage from Restoration Hardware. It is a great blue/silver with Green undertones. We have it in our house and it looks great with white. Also it is an excellent quality paint, so you dont need too much.

Hey Cher,

We love that color! It’s actually really similar to what we had in our old bedroom though, so we’re hoping to go with something a bit bolder and more saturated this time- to really make the bed pop.

5. JAG says

I love the way the bed looks in your room. What are the dimensions of your bedroom? It seems rather large, but sometimes photos are deceiving. I want a similar bed frame, but I think our bedroom is too small to pull it off.

6. suzannah says

I’m watching the re-run of the Nate show this morning. I must say, so far I’m pretty disappointed with how these two rooms are shaping up. With all that ribbon I’m surprised they didn’t do a large graphic on that back wall or make some quick toilet paper stuffed pillows with all that material and a glue gun or even the staple gun.
    You guys look great! Thanks for the heads up about the show. I missed it the first time around!

In the end they really start to perk up! All of us (Nate included) were cringing for a while… but they get there in the end! I guess it’s just like all other home improvement undertakings, nothing happens in a split second – so time really is the key for most projects.

Thanks for the heads up on the re-airing of the Nate Show episode. It was just in time for me to flip over to watch the entire episode.

I’ve always been fond of the IKEA Edland bed. It’s great that you guys have a large enough bedroom to pull it off! I can’t wait for more!

We’ve been looking at this bed for a while now too, but my Husband doesn’t think it’s sturdy enough…what do you guys think now that you own it and have slept on it and all?