Mister Ed The Bed (Assembling Our Edland Bed From Ikea)

Last you saw our new bed Ed – aka, the Edland four-poster bed from Ikea – he looked like this (read more about how we chose him here).

He has since been assembled – and even slept on for one night. And thanks to the Skorva steel support beam (also from Ikea, which is mentioned as a must-have along with the bed in the “good to know” section) Ed can, in fact, hold the weight of 30 dead people (aka: our incredibly heavy mattress) plus the weight of two DIY enthusiasts, their beefy chihuahua named Hamburger, and their baby girl (when she’s in there for a morning snack).

Constructing the bed was a remarkably easy process, especially considering I defied Ikea’s instructions and did it all without a partner (she was on baby duty). But since all of my hands were occupied during the construction phase, I did very little in the way of photographing. Thankfully I can use the Ikea instruction booklet to help re-enact a few scenes.

Like this one, where I hollered “Honey, fetch me my screwdrivers!” –  to which I got a glare and an invitation to get them myself, since she was otherwise occupied with Clara.

Or this one where I took my partially constructed bed frame on a magic carpet ride. “A Whole New World” may or may not have been sung as we soared through the clouds.

And of course this is a perfect depiction of the moment when I called Ikea to place an order of Swedish meatballs only to learn that they don’t employ a fleet of food delivery people. Boo.

Ok, so none of those really happened. But I thought it sounded more interesting than the whole “then I put in another screw” play by play. So let’s just fast forward to the after:

Although I should clarify that I definitely got Sherry’s help when it came to wrangling our mattress up onto the frame, which almost killed us- but it’s done and we’re euphoric. It’s a whole lot better than the whole mattress-on-the-floor look that we were rocking since moving in:

Clearly we still have some work to do in the bedroom, but we’re really happy to have Ed as our starting point (especially since he ended our over-two-week marathon of sleeping on the floor).

We love the fact that we’re sleeping higher than we have for the last 4+ years since the Edland is a good foot or so higher than the Malm that we had (and loved) in our old house. But it’s still comfortable to climb in and out of for Sherry (short) and me (tall) so that’s a good thing. And have no fear, Burger can still get into bed – even without the help of the bench that we placed at the foot of the bed as our version of Doggie Steps. Burgmeister doesn’t even need it and instead prefers to take flying leaps to demonstrate his Rottweiler-like agility.

And even though we have plans to change out the fan for a less conflicting ceiling fixture someday, at least we still have enough clearance to use it if we really needed to. You know for some reason in the middle of winter. Seriously, how funny is that perfect little fan facilitating pocket of space up there? Although it might come in handy after we’ve painted the walls and want to ventilate everything and help it dry faster.

Speaking of painting, our next step in the bedroom will probably be to get some color on the walls (we’re thinking a gray-ish blue with some green undertones to work with our whole teal vision from this mood board of yore) – which should make our new white bed frame, er Ed, really stand out. We also want to get a new duvet (not only to change things up a bit, but also because something a little bigger will cover the bedsides more and result in fewer sleep fights over who has more of the covers). And we’ll happily be able to reuse our beloved existing West Elm duvet in the guest room once we get a full sized bed in there (it’s a full/queen sized duvet, but we always thought it was better suited to a full sized bed, which is exactly what we have planned for that room). Slowly but surely…

Psst- To anyone who missed our Nate Berkus appearance, it seems as though it’s going to rerun today (click here to see which channel and time it airs in your area). Why are we nervous all over again? Gah.

Comments

Hey Melissa,

Good news! We’re actually on intermittently for the whole house, so you might be able to catch us judging the contest throughout the show!

The four posters are wood along with the sides, headboard, and footboard – but the slats that the mattress rests on are metal beams that brace the whole frame. Very strong indeed.

Looks great, although I can’t wait to see it without that ceiling fan!
    My boyfriend and I are currently sharing two (british) king size duvets and a mahoosive blanket because our bedroom is so freezing.
    I think bigger covers look so much more luxurious because of the way they spill over the bed. Plus there’s more to go around.
    He still accuses me of jeopardising the duvet though.

2. Meg says

Your room is a perfect size for that bed(and Burger looks so regal on it too :))

I can’t wait to see what you do with the bedroom, there are so many great options! :)

3. Peggy says

Fans are helpful in cold winter months, too. Your fan probably has a switch on the base, and you can reverse the way the blades rotate for winter. It will force the warm air that rises down into the room. We use that feature
    at our house. You two look great on Nate!

Hey Peggy,

We prefer a high powered table fan to a ceiling fan in the bedroom (and in Clara’s room as well). We made those switches in our last house and were really happy with how well table fans could cool and ventilate a room without feeling heavy and bulky like a ceiling fan can. But of course we know that there are many ceiling fan enthusiasts (and we happily had them in our sunroom and den, we just wanted our sleeping spaces to feel more open). Hope it helps!

I’m just jealous you guys have the option of removing the ceiling fan. We’ve wanted a 4 poster bed for forever, but no ceiling fan in the middle of a Texas summer (even with the ac on!) is an absolute nightmare. I guess I’ll just have to live vicariously through you :) Looks great!

5. tanyad says

Oooh I spy some paint sample cards near the door! I like all 3 of those colours and am wondering if you’ll give us a hint to the one that you are drawn to most?

I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with for this room!

None of those won out, and we now have five more paint swatches on the wall. We’ll definitely post about the decision making process along with the before and after painting pics when we get there!

6. Aimee McM says

Love the new house and the bed…once again, I’m reminded how much I miss Ikea…the closest one is a 6-hour drive. Re: Paint color…I wanted a blueish-grayish with green undertones for my dining room..similar to a Pottery Barn look that was going on at the time but not as dark. Also wanted no-VOC…found the color “Organic Garden” at Home Depot in their no-VOC line. Everyone who comes in wants to know the color.

7. Kara says

Love the new bed!

That reenactment was too funny, you two crack me up… thanks for the laugh! This is my first day back in the office after Christmas and no one is here, so I needed that.