I Like To Move It Move It (Moving Lists & Tips)

Do I get a point or two for a second moving post with a 90’s song reference in the title (here’s the first one)? And since it’s Friday, we figured we’d toss a video in. Oh but there are some bouncing booties on blast, just in case you’re at work or have an old-enough-to-ask-questions kiddo on the ol’ lap. You’ve been warned.

We’re about 90% packed, which is a good thing with moving day looming around the corner (we’re packing the truck on Sunday and officially moving on Monday afternoon if all goes well and our closing doesn’t get bumped to Tuesday). Cross your fingers for us!

Here’s how we’re doing on our little to do list that we shared on Wednesday:

• remove every single item from the wall and patch/paint every nail hole in the house (this was actually about 500 times easier than I expected- just remove all the nails at once, spackle everything at once, and then paint room by room. It’s a lot faster than doing those three things in each room before moving onto the next one since you’d be opening and closing the spackle and cleaning the putty knife about a million times).
  • transfer all of our utilities so they start over at the new place on move-in day
  • pack the entire bathroom (except for travel sized shampoo & conditioner, our toothbrushes, and the shower curtain)
  • pack all of our frames, mirrors, books, ceramic animals, and 80% of the breakables (still need to do our dishware – yikes!)
  • rake the yard so the new owners don’t think they’re moving into a giant leaf pile
  • oversee the completion of a few random inspection items (some flue work is being done by a pro)
  • get our oil measured for closing (new buyers pay for the oil that’s left in the tank, isn’t that a nice fair way to do it?)
  • wave goodbye to our tan slipcovered Pottery Barn sofa in the den (someone from craigslist is supposed to be picking it up)
  • pack the rest of the kitchen along with about 10% of the other rooms that still need to be done
  • clean the oven and the fridge (can’t really do this until right before we go)
  • vacuum/sweep before locking the door with a tear in my eye

Not bad right? Just that last 10% of packing along with some cleaning is left and we’re on to the new place with a spring in our step (ok, maybe no spring if we’re carrying heavy boxes). After a long and stressful day yesterday – all the last minute closing details and papers are keeping us on our toes! – we went for a drive over to the new house and just gazed at it through the car windows. Even Clara and Burger looked. It definitely got us back into the excited state of mind that we’re trying to live in for the next crazy few days. Ah new house, how do we love you. Let us count the ways…

And for those who love to see our house tore up from the floor up, here’s how things are looking right this moment:

Oh and since a few people have been wondering, here’s what is conveying (staying) with the sale of our house:

• all the appliances both in the kitchen and the laundry nook
  • the storage pieces and cabinetry in the basement
  • the built-in wardrobes on either side of our bed & the bed frame itself
  • the floating shelves in the dining room
  • all hardwired light fixtures and the plug in swing-arm lamps in the bedroom (except for the chandy from Clara’s room, which we replaced with a standard light)
  • all of the blinds, shades, curtain rods, and curtains in the house (except for the curtains in Clara’s room- I’m just too sentimental to walk away from those)
  • a folder of manuals and house info along with all the exterior & interior paint (labeled by room)

We’re actually really happy to leave those things behind (they added up to a nice quick sale and an offer above our asking price). Now for another bulleted list (I’m on a roll here). These are a few packing things we’re doing that seem to work well for an obsessive type-a gal like me:

• John came up with the genius idea to use blue painters tape to mark boxes that are breakable so we can easily identify the ones that we should be extra careful with
  • He also decided to put a piece of painters tape on the cabinets in the kitchen that aren’t empty yet (so we don’t keep opening all the doors to see which ones are done and which ones still have to be packed)
  • We’re using a sharpie to write what’s in nearly every box (so if we have to find Clara’s bath stuff in a snap, we know where it is).
  • Thanks to lots of recommendations, we hit up our local wine store for a few more boxes (they’re free, sturdy, and some even have handles).
  • We’ve packed a “vacation stash” of clothes, toiletries, baby stuff, etc that we’ll rely on for the next few days here and the first few days at the new place (so there’s no rush to dig through boxes for the essentials).
  • We also packed a “good to have around” box for the new house that we’re keeping in the car (with toilet paper, paper towels, hand soap, cleaning supplies, cups for water, and a few other things we’re sure we’ll appreciate having right away for our friends & family members who are helping us move – and also for ourselves once they leave).

So far so good. Eye on the prize (aka: the new house). Eye on the prize…

Maybe it’s more ridiculous that we’re not sad yet! I think we’re in total denial. Might hit us all at once on the last day though, but right now we’re just overwhelmingly excited to get into the new place. The quote of the day: let’s get this show on the road.

1. Barbara says

If this blogging thing doesn’t work out for you, I seriously think you could go into the supreme-organizers-of-the-universe realm – you’re amazing!!!

Super quick, I have to say I was reading quickly, and in my head, for just a second, I saw this:

“Thanks to lots of recommendations, we hit up our local wine store for a few more bottles.”

For a moment there, I was like, wow, they’re really having a moving party there, aren’t they….

But then a quick re-read not only made more sense, but also gave me a great tip for finding sturdy boxes that I’m currently in need of – yay! Once again, YHL to the rescue.

Nate Berkus potential spoiler alert – Did you see Nate with the dogs today??? How badly do you want to adopt Amy?! *dying here*

I can’t believe how quickly you guys got everything packed up and in boxes. The move is so close, I can’t imagine how excited you all are! Can’t wait to see the new place!

AHHH, I still can’t believe you’re moving and there will be a new YHL soon!!! You have to take pictures of the current house when everything is moved out and cleared out, it would be awesome to see a side by side empty house compared to how it look emptied when you first bought it. :) Pretty please!

Loved all the titles this week. Good luck w the move.

PS baking soda is great for cleaning ovens. Just dump a bunch in there and scrub with a sponge and hot water. Repeat as necessary.

5. tammy says

Wow, I just got sentimental for you guys about the move! We’ve moved several times, so bittersweet to see everything ready to go.

6. Kate says

I wish I was moving into your place! When we moved into our current home it was a MESS! I’m talking…nail holes all over, kitchen cabinets that they must have spilled syrup all over, a DISGUSTING fridge. It took me two nights of cleaning to get the kitchen done. The bathroom was equally gross. I just can’t believe someone would have left it like that.

The new owners are blessed to have such a beautiful home to move into! I wouldn’t paint a thing! Congrats and best of luck on the move. I can’t wait to see what you have in store!

7. Jason says

I was/am(reading this) so stressed when it comes to moving. With my new place the settlement was not as big a deal because I wasn’t moving in yet, just starting the repairs, and I didn’t have another home to sell.

But why might you have a delay until Tuesday?

No fair to you guys if you do and let me say you doing this at the holidays is like I don’t know you deserve some sort of medal.

Hey Jason,

Since we have to wait for the payment from the people buying our house to clear and be transferred to the people we’re buying the next house from at the closing that’s scheduled four hours later in the afternoon, if for some reason there’s a delay with the bank, we might not get to close until Tuesday am. Sometimes they’re nice and still give you the keys if they see that the money is “pending” though so we’re crossing our fingers that it’ll work out either way. Feel free to cross yours for us too! There are just so many moving parts when you have to sell your home and buy the next one on the same day!

I would love to see one of your famous fast-motion videos of you guys loading the truck! I know it seems odd, but I think it would be both entertaining and educational… I think the art of packing the truck is something that deserves a special moment. Best of luck on your final 10%!

Love it! We actually did consider making some fast motion moving videos but we don’t want to embarrass or annoy the help (all of our amazing friends and relatives who are loading right along with us) so we figure we’ll snap some photos sans helpers from time to time and share those when we can instead!

9. Trista says

I think it is amazing that you’re leaving that many items/appliances with the house. My husband and I are currently on the search for our first home. It would be great to find a house with so many things included. The thought of paying so much for a house and still having to shop for a refrigerator makes me nervous.