Our Free Annual Calendar Printable For Ya

Last year we DIYed a calendar for our kitchen complete with a favorite quote each month (you know, for a nice inside-joke vibe). You can check it out here.

But last time we were waaaaay slow and didn’t finish it ’til February. So in an effort to keep that from happening again this year, we decided to complete the project before our big move distracted us (in just one week and counting!).

We stuck with the same general look: colorful text on a clean white backdrop. But instead of meaningful words and funny phrases, we chose to do this one by the numbers. Sesame Street style if you will. Observe:

Basically we took each month’s numerical equivalent and related it to something personally meaningful to our lives. For example, we’ve got one baby girl, we will have called two houses home (once we’ve moved) and Sherry and I have each lived in three NYC boroughs: Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn (though never together).

Some months even mark “anniversaries” that we’ll be celebrating in 2011, like our fifth year of living in RVA (that’s what we Richmonders call our city to make it sound cooler). And in ’11 we’ll be hitting the seven year mark of knowing one another.

We basically followed the same design process as last year’s calendar (words on top, days on the bottom) and again we cobbled everything together in Photoshop. Oh and we used another free font suggested by How About Orange (this time it’s called Matilde) and just printed each page out on standard 8.5 x 11″ cardstock (it’s amazing how long and “custom” it looks when you cut off the sides).

Also like last year, we’ve got the Photoshop file available for download in case you’re interested in downloading it and editing it to create a version for yourself. Obviously you’ll need to have Photoshop and know your way around a .PSD file well enough to change the text to something that’s relevant to you. And you’ll have to download Matilde into your Photoshop fonts folder to edit the text without changing the typeface once you download the calendar HERE (if clicking doesn’t work, try right-clicking and select “save”). You also may want to try this link if the previous link didn’t work for you (again, try right-clicking and selecting “save” if a regular click doesn’t do the trick).

You’ll only see December when you download it because that’s the layer that’s showing (the rest of the months are hidden layers) so to edit and print each one, just “show” the one that you want and move from month to month. And to people without Photoshop (or without enough know how to get ‘er done even if you have access to it) we definitely think you can whip up something in Microsoft Word or even PowerPoint. Or try etsy for an affordable alternative that still has that homemade feeling.

Although 2011 may still be a few weeks away, we decided to take our new calendar for a test spin on our usual hook in the kitchen – the same 3M hook that we added when I gifted Sherry with the culinary-themed 2008 calendar that commemorated the completion of our kitchen reno. Oh the memories…

Speaking of calendars, do any of you ever DIY your own? Or buy the same theme each year? For about a decade in grade school Sherry’s mom gave her an angel themed calendar every year on Christmas morning. But maybe angels aren’t the chosen subject matter for you. Are you more into calendars with quotes from The Office? Or articles from The Onion? Perhaps you prefer photo calendars from Shutterfly or Snapfish? Or maybe you’re just too smart phone obsessed to even have a paper calendar anymore?

Comments

1. Sarah E says

I love it! Thanks for sharing, the link isn’t working for me either… like, it says nothing found–I don’t even get the option to download. So I’m not sure if the link is just wrong or what…

We usually just buy 1 for $1 somewhere. No theme, not usually that cute, but a calendar. I’m totally doing this though. I love that it can be personalized, I’m excited! Plus, I love that it’s crisp and clean. That’s what we’re trying to do (not the mention, after Christmas our first project is painting our cabinets white! woohoo!)

2. amyks says

Love that calendar, very cute idea. I always make a photo calendar with pics of my kids from the previous year put together thru Shutterfly. I make 3, one for us, and 1 for each set of grandparents…it’s like a scrapbook for all and my kids love going through it and talking about the pictures.

Love the calendar! I tried clicking on the download HERE link and it brought up a page that said “Whoops! That page isn’t here.” I don’t know if it would have something to do with my browser or cache but just wanted to let you guys know! I’d love to download it…

Thanks!

4. Nik says

Too cute. I was thinking that you could totally work with individuals and sell people their own custom versions of this calendar…until I got to the part in your post where you offer the free downloadable template. You guys are awesome.

5. Sarah E. says

It only lets me save the link when right clicking–which doesn’t help when the link says nothing found! I’ll check back later! Or suck it up and do the work myself…. ;)

Hey Sarah E,

Neither of us are on PCs anymore, so I’m sorry we can’t be more specific about the terminology. Perhaps another Windows user could assist? If there’s an alternate to the “Save” option (perhaps “Save As” or “Save Location”) that might do the trick.

-John

So cute! It’s very appropriate too for the time-frame–kind of like “Twelve Days of Christmas”. What kind of paper do you print this on? I love the idea of giving this as a Christmas present.

Also, have you ever heard of Gimp–free photoshop-like software? Do you know if you could edit it using this program?

Hey Laura,

If you follow the link over to last years calendar template we did encourage people to use GIMP and it seemed to work for some (although some people had issues, which is why we didn’t bring it up this year). We love sharing things like this, but unfortunately it doesn’t always mean that everyone is able to download them and edit them depending on their computer and the programs they have.

7. Sarah says

So how did you print each layer separately? I am trying to print this (i customized it! yay!) but one time it came out as the blank layer (1 page) and the next time it came out as all layers on one page. kinda messy. any help would be appreciated! :)

Hey Sarah,

Check the post for those details. You basically have to “hide” and show each layer to print them each separately. Maybe getting a Photoshop guide from the library would help? Good luck!

8. Krystal says

Love this calendar! I haven’t been able to find one I liked, so I may have to try this out.

I remember when I was 15 I asked for a calendar for Christmas, and my specific instructions to my mom were, “Something funny, or something with hot athletes…nothing cute. No animals.” You know what she got me? A calendar full of guinea pigs competing in Olympic sporting events: guinea pigs doing gymnastics, guinea pigs playing soccer, guinea pigs swimming, etc. Her response when I looked at it in confusion? “Well, it’s funny and they’re athletes!” She obviously ignored by distaste for cute animals.

So sorry it’s not working seamlessly and easily for everyone! With all of the moving madness going on we don’t have the time to trouble shoot each issue, but we hope that it works for as many people as possible! And if not, hopefully you guys can DIY one in Photoshop or even in Word or PowerPoint using the same basic concept if it floats your boat!

9. Brooke says

Love the both calenders! Great idea! I’m assuming the “no biting just kisses” is something you guys say to Burger. ;-) I cracked up because my husband and I say the same thing to our dog Gus. We thought we were the only ones!