Our Free Annual Calendar Printable For Ya

Last year we DIYed a calendar for our kitchen complete with a favorite quote each month (you know, for a nice inside-joke vibe). You can check it out here.

But last time we were waaaaay slow and didn’t finish it ’til February. So in an effort to keep that from happening again this year, we decided to complete the project before our big move distracted us (in just one week and counting!).

We stuck with the same general look: colorful text on a clean white backdrop. But instead of meaningful words and funny phrases, we chose to do this one by the numbers. Sesame Street style if you will. Observe:

Basically we took each month’s numerical equivalent and related it to something personally meaningful to our lives. For example, we’ve got one baby girl, we will have called two houses home (once we’ve moved) and Sherry and I have each lived in three NYC boroughs: Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn (though never together).

Some months even mark “anniversaries” that we’ll be celebrating in 2011, like our fifth year of living in RVA (that’s what we Richmonders call our city to make it sound cooler). And in ’11 we’ll be hitting the seven year mark of knowing one another.

We basically followed the same design process as last year’s calendar (words on top, days on the bottom) and again we cobbled everything together in Photoshop. Oh and we used another free font suggested by How About Orange (this time it’s called Matilde) and just printed each page out on standard 8.5 x 11″ cardstock (it’s amazing how long and “custom” it looks when you cut off the sides).

Also like last year, we’ve got the Photoshop file available for download in case you’re interested in downloading it and editing it to create a version for yourself. Obviously you’ll need to have Photoshop and know your way around a .PSD file well enough to change the text to something that’s relevant to you. And you’ll have to download Matilde into your Photoshop fonts folder to edit the text without changing the typeface once you download the calendar HERE (if clicking doesn’t work, try right-clicking and select “save”). You also may want to try this link if the previous link didn’t work for you (again, try right-clicking and selecting “save” if a regular click doesn’t do the trick).

You’ll only see December when you download it because that’s the layer that’s showing (the rest of the months are hidden layers) so to edit and print each one, just “show” the one that you want and move from month to month. And to people without Photoshop (or without enough know how to get ‘er done even if you have access to it) we definitely think you can whip up something in Microsoft Word or even PowerPoint. Or try etsy for an affordable alternative that still has that homemade feeling.

Although 2011 may still be a few weeks away, we decided to take our new calendar for a test spin on our usual hook in the kitchen – the same 3M hook that we added when I gifted Sherry with the culinary-themed 2008 calendar that commemorated the completion of our kitchen reno. Oh the memories…

Speaking of calendars, do any of you ever DIY your own? Or buy the same theme each year? For about a decade in grade school Sherry’s mom gave her an angel themed calendar every year on Christmas morning. But maybe angels aren’t the chosen subject matter for you. Are you more into calendars with quotes from The Office? Or articles from The Onion? Perhaps you prefer photo calendars from Shutterfly or Snapfish? Or maybe you’re just too smart phone obsessed to even have a paper calendar anymore?

Comments

Every year since I was a tween my dad has bought me a Far Side calendar for Christmas. It’s always been our personal favorite because we both share that stupid sense of humor…. I mean, common… a Spamalope is hilarious… That calendar is really cute and a great idea. Also, 1001 free fonts is a great place to get some fonts too. http://www.1001freefonts.com/

I love these! So creative (as usual)!
    My younger daughter always wants a puppies and kittens calendar. The older one picks a different one each year, she’s gone from Twilight, to Jonas Bros, to Paris and this year she wants one from The Office.

3. Crystal says

I totally have a calendar! The last few years I’ve got a landscaped one for a $1 at Target, but you may have inspired me to create my own! I did a photo calendar one year and that worked out really well-so meaningful!

At work, I have a Sudoku day-by-day calendar. My husband gets me one every year for Christmas. And I always get him a Dilbert one. :) We have a wall calendar at home in the office. A free one we get with our zoo membership. I love it! Lots of pretty animals and macro shots of bugs! Sadly, we’ve moved and haven’t renewed our membership so I don’t know what we will do this year. I like the idea of getting something beautiful that can get recycled into art later down the road. I did that when I was in high school and college all the time!

This is just too cute. I was looking for a year on one page,but I think I may just have to do this. Love it!

6. annette says

I love this. Sorta bummed, though. Just bought the Snow and Graham one for 2011. Could’ve saved a few bucks. This question is unrelated, but in your 1/2 bath…in the mirror, I can see a reflection of something hanging…is that a light? If so, what does it look like/where was it purchased? Thanks!

This is so sweet. I just had a thought…

Will y’all be doing any sort of Clara / Nutcracker themed weekly photo shoots for Christmas? Just an idea-r : )

When I saw April’s “Family of Four” I thought to myself ‘wait a minute!!! Are they having another baby?!?!!’ but then I remembered Burger! Hahaha :)

Very cool idea guys!

Awww so cute! I love that you made it uber personal! The closest i’ve gotten to making a calendar is by writing out one on my dry erase board… and I’m not sure if I’d currently use/need one… but I think it’s worth a try to make one and find out! =)

Love the idea — thanks!

xoXOxo

Love your calendar idea. Very inventive. I use a calendar that I have on my fridge that is a dry erase board. We are too busy in our lives with adding appointments and activities and that works best for us.

11. Jessica says

Love the number idea! Very creative! I’m currently putting together a calendar for my husband to have while he is stationed overseas. Lots of personal pictures highlighting important dates (birthdays, our daughters due date, anniversaries, etc.)